What's new

Good Oil - Soaps and bar of soaps

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I recently bought some soaps (shave stick and regular bars of bath soap) from the Good Oil company in Australia. They are selling ingredients that are made from hemp or hemp derived products. Before anyone asks, no, you cannot get a buzz out of those. If you do look up the benefits of hemp oil, it's apparently very good for the skin...

attachment.php

I got 3 shave sticks (90 grams each) that are peppermint spearmint scented and made with hemp oil. The website is unfortunately not very descriptive of the ingredients... From the website
A shaving stick formulated to keep skin moisturised while shaving. Great for both sexes, Shaving Sticks are eco-friendly, economical and long-lasting. Ingredients: Hemp Seed Oil - rich in essential fatty acids, Palm Kernel Oil Noodles, Spearmint Oil and Tea Tree Oil.
Those hemp shave sticks used to be known as "marijuana moisture shave stick"...
attachment.php

attachment.php

I also bought 3 bar of bath soap(90 grams each): Lavender, Lemon-myrtle and bush Rose. Those don't have a big description on the ingredients, unfortunately... From the website again...
The ideal way to cleanse your body without the toxic ingredients of soap. Active Ingredients: Hemp Seed Oil and Palm Kernel Oil Noodles, each bar lasts up to 4 times longer than ordinary soap. For a moisturizing shower use Hemp Cleansing Bars, good for the whole family. Ingredients: Palm Kernal Oil Noodles, Hemp Seed Oil
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I will try to investigate and get more information on that ingredient list...

I got that crazy idea that I might be able to use the bar of soap as a shaving soap :)closedeye)... I did this morning. It doesn't work :001_tongu It's a bummer as the Rose scented soap is *very* nice... It reminds me of TOBS Rose... The lather disappear after 2-3 mins. So, that's the bar of soap...

The shave stick, I used it in the past and it worked fairly well. I cannot, however, remember how good the lather was and, of course, I didn't review it at the time. I intend to do so shortly. I started this thread to keep track of everything... If I can...

Bar of soap -> Supposed to last 3-4 time longer than a regular bar of soap... I don't believe it but we shall see...

Shave stick -> I couldn't really use them last time as SWMBO stole all my sticks and used them...

Last edited:
I have one of their shaving sticks, and it works really well. It has a very mild, spearmint smell. But it's a little bit strange in that whatever lather you initially get -- and it's not much -- virtually disappears.

Here's what I wrote about it back in 2009:

I really, really like this product. It gives an excellent shave. However, one thing I noticed right away upon using it is that it doesn't create traditional lather. It creates a little bit of lather which goes away pretty fast. However, unlike most olive oil-based soaps this stuff actually leaves your face with a slick, cushioning film that makes for a great shave (not to mention leaving your skin feeling fabulous afterwards).

Luc, I think I read in the score thread that you are going to try to melt these soaps. I can tell you that these soaps don't melt. I tried it with the shave stick a couple of years ago and it ruined the stick and I had to throw it out. I wouldn't grate them either because they just don't work in puck form.

the way I use the sticks is to rub them on my face, wet my hands and lather up using my wet hands, no brush. You will feel the film is slick and not "sticky", that is when you know it is good to go. I also never use these with DE razors as it just doesn't give sufficient protection but with cart razors, it is just bloody awesome!!!

Luc

Staff member
Luc, I think I read in the score thread that you are going to try to melt these soaps. I can tell you that these soaps don't melt. I tried it with the shave stick a couple of years ago and it ruined the stick and I had to throw it out. I wouldn't grate them either because they just don't work in puck form.

the way I use the sticks is to rub them on my face, wet my hands and lather up using my wet hands, no brush. You will feel the film is slick and not "sticky", that is when you know it is good to go. I also never use these with DE razors as it just doesn't give sufficient protection but with cart razors, it is just bloody awesome!!!

That's good to know... I was fairly sure that you could melt those... All right, I will avoid melting at all costs!

I used to use their shave stick way back when I was still using electric wetshavers. It was pretty much my #1 choice back then. The sticks don't produce much in the way of lather, but they sure do lay down some long-lasting slickness on the face. And the hemp oil definitely leaves your face very soft and moisturized. I've yet to try one of these with a DE, so can't help much there.

I've also used their "Secret Men's Oil" for dry skin, and absolutely love it. I bought my wife the "Secret Women's Oil" too and she seems to like it a lot. Nice smell also.

Hemp oil is some pretty amazing stuff on the skin. I'd love to try out a hemp oil-based shaving cream or soap that actually lathers up well for use with the DE. Anybody know of or tried any?

Luc

Staff member
I decided to try the shave stick today, I will again next week but so far, the results are bad.

It might be my fault so this is why I will give this a few shots... When I used it in the past, I didn't have any issues. The lather was mediocre but still usable. Today, the lather was worse than mediocre but still usable :wink2:

I dipped the tip of the shave stick in hot water before the shower and left it there. Like any shave stick that I used, I would rub the shave stick on my beard to apply the product and re-wet the tip of the shave stick often to ensure that I still get some product.

For some reason, the shave stick was hard and did not spread well. It took me nearly twice the time to apply it and I wasn't happy with the quantity of soap that I had in my beard. I thought that I had to start face lathering eventually so I did...

The lather was very thin and eventually disappeared. I got sufficient glide and protection, that was not an issue. I barely had time to shave half my face and the lather was gone on the other half. By pass #3, the lather was gone before I shaved 1/4 of my face.

Results: Very disappointing. Again, I'm suspecting not enough product as I never had this shave stick perform so badly before. Also, most shave sticks that I use are not rock hard soaps. The stick is usually a bit softer which allows more soap to be trapped in the whiskers.

For the next shave with this stick, I have a very small bowl that I will use to soak the tip of the shave stick. It should, hopefully, soften the soap and allow my to get more product in my beard before I face lather.

The scent is spearmint (not peppermint)...

Yeah, the lather from this stuff is virtually non-existent. I remember writing that it produces "ghost lather." Fortunately, ghostly though it was, that lather didn't produce a scary shave. As you noticed, the glide & protection are fine. But don't expect great lather, cuz there isn't any. It's weird, but there it is.

As to the hard texture of the stick, I didn't have that experience. I was able to get plenty of product off of the stick. Maybe they've changed the formula, or maybe you just got an off batch. Your idea of keeping the tip of the stick in hot water is a good one -- hopefully it'll help.

Good luck!

Maybe that poor lather comes with the hemp oil? I understand it is mostly linoleic acid, and from my smattering of chemistry it looks much closer to oleic (olive oil) than to any of the shaving-friendly saponifiable fats such as stearic acid or palmitic acid.

Luc

Staff member
Maybe that poor lather comes with the hemp oil? I understand it is mostly linoleic acid, and from my smattering of chemistry it looks much closer to oleic (olive oil) than to any of the shaving-friendly saponifiable fats such as stearic acid or palmitic acid.

That's possible and would make sense as the symptoms are identical to olive oil shave soaps (at least, those that I tried)...

Luc

Staff member
Okay, I know that 2 shaves is not good to make a review but in this case, it's pretty obvious that it doesn't work :sad:...

Second shave, I soak around 1" of the stick in hot water using a small bowl to allow the soap to soften while I'm in the shower. The application (amount of product) was perfect. It was around what I would normally use to face lather. As a reference, on the first shave I had half of what I had today in twice the time.

I proceeded to face lather which I got a mediocre lather again. It took around 3 minutes before the lather broke down. The "invisible" lather left a protective cushion like the first time. The shave was still all right but the whole idea of using a product labeled "shave soap" is to get lather. I don't have that.

I will go ahead and review the shave stick in a minute.

EDIT: http://badgerandblade.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=210972

Last edited:

Luc

Staff member
Okay, I started on the 25th to wash with the lavender soap... I finished it today. I think it's impressive (13 wash) as a regular bar of soap lasts a week usually. I still don't think that I will drop the Imperial Leather for it but I was very surprised when I counted the days. I know, I can always take the soap out of the shower but I never do that.

Is my skin better? Honestly, I don't know. It's a good bar of soap but too expensive IMO. I will post a review in a couple of minutes.

EDIT: Review -> http://badgerandblade.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=210978

Last edited:
Top Bottom