What's new

Once you go Feather, there's no turning back

Having tried 5 or 6 other blades I can't beat Feathers. If I'm miserly I go for 4 shaves in my Merkur 38C barber pole razor. I have two shaves, flip the blade and then another two shaves. As I shave my tough bluebeard only 5 times a week (average of every other day), one blade gets me through a week with excellent close results and I could probably milk it for more but at .40¢ a blade AUD I can live with that expense. I was blowing through a Mach3 every week at the same rate, even with trying to sharpen it by rubbing it with the grain on denim and the cost was 10 times that.

everyone out there has different skin and a different experience with various brands of blades, but my own experience was this...
there are two types of blades: there's feather, and there's everything else
after working my way through a sample pack, that's basically what it broke down to.

I love Feathers for how efficiently they shave; however, they do occasionally give me some minor irritation on my neck. I find myself reaching for the Shark SC more often now as it doesn't give me irritation, and it is also quite sharp.

I use the Feathers in my superspeeds and milder razors and I use the Sharks in my more aggressive razors.

On another note, the Feathers are actually very reasonable if you get them from Dridiot.

Feathers are OK for 2 shaves and then they degrade for quickly that I can not get a third shave from them. Many other better quality blades out there for the money.

exactly...the third shave i tried with my first (and only) feather blade was so painful it almost made me question DE shaving to begin with. I'm much happier with Astra SP's at the moment.

I get far better shaves using a slightly less sharp blade in a very aggressive razor than a feather in a mild razor. Plus that extra sharpness (at least for me) is gone by shave 2, so unless you are using feathers once and tossing them I don't see a point in the sharpness debate.

Feathers are good blades, and they get a lot of appreciation, but in my experience there are better blades out there

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Feathers, for me, are great for two shaves tops. I can get at least 4 out of Gillette 7'Oclock yellows, but it is a whole YMMV thing.

After hearing years of horror stories about bloody faces from Feather Blades, I finally gave them a try. Amazing shave without a single nick. I suspect you need to always pay attention and treat them with respect, but it's the closest shave of my life with far fewer passes. Amazing. I'm used a D.R. Harris razor with a mild Muhle shaving head from West Coast (it's essentially the same as the Edwin Jagger for $30 less). Next I'm trying them in my Merkur Futur.

Feather… Feather… and more Feather :biggrin1:

Get at least 7 shaves from them !
1 blade in the week….
$SAM_0006.jpg
I think I am in the Feather camp ?

Eelco

I like Feathers, but they're not the be-all and end-all for me. Med Preps and Labs still top my list, but I also like Yellows, Green Permasharps, Lord Racers, Treet Dura Sharps, and Treet Classics. I have a 100 Russian Permas on the way, so we'll see about those, too. Variety is spice. Nine times out of ten I reach for one of the above-named before I reach for a Feather.

After trying many others, I have settled on Feathers. While early in my DE journey, I will try others but have a sneaky suspicion that I will find my way back to the Feathers. So far, they are my absolute favorite.

I'm a new DE shaver, bought a sampler pack, and quickly migrated to the Feathers. I have little experience and yet have had no problems with nicks or cuts. I don't have a thick beard but I like a really close shave. My goal is as close as possible. So, I'll do four passes with the last one being ATG. No problems. Yes, I go slow where I need to ,but that is the challenge I enjoy. I love Feathers!

Well, I got 100 feathers for pretty cheap from Doctor Idiot (http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/101463-DrIdiot-s-Selling-Thread-Worldwide-Airmail) - he gives a B&B discount of a good amount. (About $30 a few months ago for 100)

Anyways, I ordered one sample pack that had two feathers and a bunch of others including Astra, Shark, Derby, Gillette and so forth (normal pack). My first shave was with a feather, and I don't know if it was just because I was shaving wrong and using the naked blade without a guard or what, but my first shave was awesome. No nicks, no cuts, no irritation. Second shave? Not so great, not as close, but still no problems. Swapped it out. Derby felt like it was trying to rip all the hair out of my face one by one, with tweezers, and I quickly put all of them away.

Astra was like dry shaving (I tried again with my next razor, and they just hurt). Gillette wasn't so bad for the first and second shave, but just not as close as my first shave. Shark.. I actually threw 10 of them away after that first shave. I have NEVER, EVER had such a bad shave, and I mean since my first time trying when I was 15. I tried a few more, Personal, Lord's, and so forth as well, since they were in the pack, but at the end? I ordered 100 feathers and I will order more when I am down to 50. I am getting closer to that first shave again, and I will be going on that journey with Feathers. :) At least until I get a new razor, and then I will maybe try another.

Top Bottom