What's new

Time for a New .45 ACP

Always wanted a 1911 .45
Although it was probably the sweetest shooting pistol I had ever owned, I sold my Glock 36 Saturday at a Gun Show. Had absolutely no issues with that gun whatsoever, but I seldom carried it anymore >EDIT<. I found myself carrying my S&W 442 much more ofetn. Anyway...

I was all ramped up to buy a Remington R1 until I heard some tales about the firearm.

1. FACT..+P ammunition is not recommended for the R1. I would really like to know WHY? This is a modern manufacture firearm; a contemporary version of an old established design made on contemporary equipment.

2. FACT..Frame (and slide I am told) are cast. Not sure if this is an issue or not.

3. RUMOR..Made in the Phillipines. I hear both tales-Phillipines/Ilion, NY. Anyone know where for sure??

Another choice I have looked at is the Mil-Spec by Springfield Armory. Reports vary (like pretty much anything else). I do recognize its components are forged. As it is made in Brazil, that tells me SA is subbing the work to Taurus as that is the only facility in Brazil set up for that process.

I'm not interested in this weapon being anything other than what it is out of the box. Might carry it in a shoulder rig from time to time but that's about it.

Any ideas??

Last edited by a moderator:
The new S&W models seem nice, if an external extractor isn't a deal breaker. Yes, I already know it isn't a "real" 1911. Regards, Bradley

Not much more than $600-$700. Again, this isn't going to be anything else but a shooter. Not a competition pistol (I'm a shotgun guy when it comes to competing), not an everyday carry piece (already have two of those), although I may find myself carrying it once in a while, just a basic, functional 1911. Probably use it more in the field than anywhere else. Kind of a basic
F 150 sort of pistol.

I highly second the Colt or Kimber recommendation....or if you want really nice....a Wilson Combat.

Well, just out of curiosity I visited the Wilson site...I think not; had a hard enough time trying to rationalize what my Browning Citori cost me!!!

If you're not opposed to buying something used, I'd look for a used Colt. I have a series 80 that's a fine pistol. I will always own a 1911. There's tons of nice, hardly used ones out there in the $600 range. It may take some time to find one, be patient. The ammo is expensive though.

I've been looking at purchasing my first modern pistol as a .45acp 1911 since it IS 2011 and not 20GLOCK haha. Regardless I researched at the beginning of this year, and some good firearms for you to look at might be that used Colt as mentioned above, EMF Hartford 1911, and auto-ordnance 100th anniversary ED 1911. I don't know much about those except they are all made in the US, and it seems that might be important to you?

The pistol I am mainly thinking to purchase is the Ruger SR1911 that I've heard a lot about, which is 100% US and is about $600 to $700. Research those a little bit, they might be your best bet. I have almost exclusively seen great things about the SR1911, unlike the controversial Remington 1911 that I also once considered.

Not much more than $600-$700. Again, this isn't going to be anything else but a shooter. Not a competition pistol (I'm a shotgun guy when it comes to competing), not an everyday carry piece (already have two of those), although I may find myself carrying it once in a while, just a basic, functional 1911. Probably use it more in the field than anywhere else. Kind of a basic
F 150 sort of pistol.

A quick check of Buds Gun Shop tells me you are at the bottom end of the 1911 price point.

Many years ago, I learned a life lesson, "If you care about quality, never buy the cheapest of anything.".

My recommendation, save up some more money.

And, once you realize that 1911's are way overhyped, you will be ready to sell it, save all the tags, box, etc... so your resale will be higher. (have you rented one at the gun range, to try out?)

A quick check of Buds Gun Shop tells me you are at the bottom end of the 1911 price point.

Many years ago, I learned a life lesson, "If you care about quality, never buy the cheapest of anything.".

My recommendation, save up some more money.

And, once you realize that 1911's are way overhyped, you will be ready to sell it, save all the tags, box, etc... so your resale will be higher. (have you rented one at the gun range, to try out?)

During the decade I was Chief Firearms Instructor, Rangemaster, and Armorer (Beretta and S&W Factory trained) for a mid-sized Southern Police Department, I pretty much got to shoot the whole catalog. As earlier mentioned, I just sold a Glock 36...really not interested in anything like that for future use. This 1911 venture is more like looking for something old school and fun. Don't need it for defense, competition, heavy use or anything along those lines. Kind of like wanting a 1969 Mustang, not a 2012 Lexus. Indeed a used Colt would be fine, I was just curious as to if anyone had 1st hand experience with the current offerings from Remington or Springfield Armory.

Avoid Kimber.

?
proxy.php

Top Bottom