What's new

What is better than Cella?

I'm in need of a new soap, and after reading the Cella thread where there was shown some discontent, I was wondering what do you feel is better than Cella, and for those that do rank Cella high, is there anything you like better?

I have Tabac and Valobra stick.

Cella is my all time favourite soap, but realistically, there are many others I use that I do not think any less of. Valobra stick is my favourite stick too, but La Toja is phenominal IMO, as is Palmolive. D.R. Harris soaps are tallow and my favourite English brand. Oh yes, and then there's MWF. AoS is another, but distribution is being discontinued in some parts.

Cella works fine for me, but I don't care for the scent and for some reason it lingers on my skin all day. Others report that they can't smell it at all after final rinse. You already have Tabac and if you like the scent it really can't be topped for lather quality and efficacy. I've learned to like TOBS Sandalwood soap, AOS soaps are top quality but pricey, and I find myself using Proraso soap (actually cream that I've dried to soap consistency because it can be had for $5 per tube as C.O. Bigelow at Bath & Body Works several times per year) as much as anything.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
The only other tallow based soaps that I like as much as Cella are the new RazoRock Linea Officina Artigiana soft soaps (Chianti Lavender fragrance in particular) and the Valobra stick. Among vegetable soaps I certainly need to mention Martin de Candre and La Toja Manantiales.

The only other tallow based soaps that I like as much as Cella are the new RazoRock Linea Officina Artigiana soft soaps (Chianti Lavender fragrance in particular) and the Valobra stick. Among vegetable soaps I certainly need to mention Martin de Candre and La Toja Manantiales.

I did not realize that RazoRock was tallow based. I have been so confused about which soaps and sticks had tallow and those that did at one time but no longer have tallow, and then there is those soaps and sticks that have never had tallow. I have never tried a tallow based soap, and I have never tried a shaving stick of any type so I am hoping to kill two birds with one stone and purchase a tallow stick.

If you like Cella, RazoRock makes an amazing product along similar lines. I am in the middle of experimenting with Vitos which performs nicely without the "cella-ey" smell that's mentioned a lot in reviews. $26 nets a 1kg brick.

I am among those who rank Cella very high. One brick of Cella (or Vitos) is an excellent choice of product for everyday, and on a budget. An AA soap, so to speak.
However you put your finger on it, some are slightly better. IMO Tabac (or Irisch Moos) deserves AA+, Valobra stick (or AoS, C&S) deserves AAA, some of them at a cost.
Speick, D.R. Harris, Palmolive are very good too, for instance.
I put any judgement about fragrance aside, as this is a matter of personal taste.

Enjoy your shave.

Some of my favorites are AOS soap (probably the best classic hard tallow soap) and Irisch Moos (very close to AOS but creamier)

I will also give a big plus one to the Razorock soaps. The XXX is really great stuff, and I like it as much as Cella (one of my favorites). The scent is kind of a barbershop scent mixed with some citrus and a hint of a cologne behind it. Its a bit of a mutt, but IMO its wonderful. The Artisan line is good, but if you can stand a floral sent the Mughetto di Bologna is one of my absolute favorite soaps. My skin reacts really positively to shea butter, but shea butter soaps rarely lather as easy as tallow. MDB has the best of both worlds, and I thoroughly enjoy it. The scent is kinda close to Lilac if you dont know what Lilly of the Vally smells like, and I find it to be the only floral I'v ever liked enough to shave with.

Honorable mention to Mamma Bear soaps and Omega (basically Proraso + coconut).

If you like soft soap, I find QCS croaps to be much better than Cella. Hard soaps: Speick, Palmolive, AoS, DR Harris, Arko, Tabac, etc.

If you like Cella, RazoRock makes an amazing product along similar lines. I am in the middle of experimenting with Vitos which performs nicely without the "cella-ey" smell that's mentioned a lot in reviews. $26 nets a 1kg brick.

I thought that the Vitos line was all Almond scent. Save the 500ml tube of Eucalyptus and Lanolin.

Just buy some Cella, you'll love it. Yes, there are plenty soaps/creams just as good, but Cella is Cella... :001_smile

Should have mentioned - I love Cella, but Tabac makes me smell like a port-o-potty. Valobra is ok, just doesn't last for 4 passes, so I have to reload. Still ok, shaves are around 15 min long. I definitely value the performance of Cella, Valobra, and Tabac. I was just wondering what other soaps the experts thought were better since so many gave lower marks to Cella in the above-mentioned thread. Good ideas here. Thanks.

Last edited:
OK, you already have Cella... Then MWF is a natural step.
If you want to try a cream: RazoRock XXX. Heaven in a cream tub.

I think Acca Kappa's 1869 in the tub is a direct Cella-upgrade. It's not as firm as Cella, and is expensive ($20 w/shipping), but I find it to have greater efficacy and a more pleasant sent.

Top Bottom