What's new

Need an alcohol free AS that fights razor burn...

As mentioned in this thread: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=27856 I have discovered that my skin does not respond well to products with a high content of alcohol in them. That means I'm reluctantly putting aside my Aqua Velva and am searching for a new after shave.

Can anyone recommend anything that is alcohol free, but will also allow me to go for a BBS shave without ending up with bumps and ingrowns all over my face? Maybe something with a small amount of alcohol would work, too.

Nivea for sensitive skin, Proraso aftershave balm, Neutrogena razor defence
These are inexpensive and seem to work well, i also like to use proraso pre/post on my neck.

One thing that made a lot of difference for me is Thayers Witch Hazel (alcohol free)

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
The Musgo Real balm doesn't get much press compared to their splash, but it puts out the fire and is very soothing.

As mentioned in this thread: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=27856 I have discovered that my skin does not respond well to products with a high content of alcohol in them. That means I'm reluctantly putting aside my Aqua Velva and am searching for a new after shave.

Can anyone recommend anything that is alcohol free, but will also allow me to go for a BBS shave without ending up with bumps and ingrowns all over my face? Maybe something with a small amount of alcohol would work, too.

Nivea After shave balm is very soothing and available pretty much everywhere. I haven't tried the D.R. Harris milk though.

The best combo for me is using Thayer's witch hazel (I use the lavender, and there is zero burn) followed by either the Nivea soothing balm or one of the Trumper's skin foods. Both of the Trumper's work equally well for me, so it would just be up to whether you prefer the coral (rose) scent or the lime scent. This is the only aftershave routine I have used that has left my skin feeling BBS and absolutely zero burn. The nice thing about these, too, is they don't leave your skin feeling too greasy. I love the L'Occitane Cade AS balm, but for me there is a slight tingle, and it is a bit on the thicker, more greasy side.

Can anyone recommend anything that is alcohol free, but will also allow me to go for a BBS shave without ending up with bumps and ingrowns all over my face?
I don't think any product exists that will help fight bumps or ingrown hairs, despite claims made by manufacturers.

When getting a close shave, sometimes individual hairs sink back into the follicle and don't grow back out of the follicle correctly. This could be because of curly hairs or sometimes distorted follicles. I've talked to a dermatologist in the past and he assured me no "after shave" product can remedy this. Unfortunately, not getting a bbs shave seems to be the only solution.

I use moisturizers or after shave moisturizers (non-alcohol) on my face as shaving can be drying for the skin, but keeping the face from being dry is about the only real benefit you're going to get. Some like alcohol based after shaves because they enjoy the burn, or after shaves with menthol or similar products that fool the skin into feeling cooler (the way a menthol candy can trick your mouth into feeling cooler), but I don't think there's anything to them actually helping heal your skin, especially alcohol which is drying and an astringent.

I have QED ASB (mine's Lavendar); I don't think it has alcohol. I use it mostly when I have razor burn as it's thick and moisturizes really well. Despite this, it doesn't leave me feeling greasy. It does have a slight brief burning quality when I put it on irritated skin, but then it feels soothing.

Considering the adoration that QED products get here, I'm surprised this product isn't mentioned more.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I went to Pasteur's pharmacy in NYC today to check out some of the products. The DR Harris is quite expensive. $27 for the small bottle of it.

I've used Nivea, it comes off as a little heavy. No matter what, I end up using too much.

I think I might try the Proraso liquid cream.

I like the Gentlemen's Refinery ASB a lot. Its milky, absorbs right into the skin. I have found that AOS's white willow bark extract helps my one ingrown hair area at my adams apple. Of course this may just be a lucky coincidence, so YMMV.

My favorite after shave splash to date is Provence Sante. :thumbup: Very soothing, no alcohol and the Green Tea scented one smells very nice. Ingredients: Water, witch hazel, polysorbate 80, vegetable glycerin, peg-7 glyceryl cocoate, fragrance, hydantoin, methylchloroisothiozilinone and methylisothiazolinone, shea butter

A close second is Em's splashes, I like the Cucumber one. Ingredients are: Aloe Vera Leaf Juice, Rosa Damascena Hydrosol, Cucumber Distillate, Witch Hazel, Glycerin and Black Willow Bark Extract.

Top Bottom