What's new

A warning!

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
This is a post in regards to breaking in a new brush "to get the funk out" - please see also the following post:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...o-with-your-Parker-Pure-Badger-Rosewood-Brush

People, people, please, please do not soak brushes overnight in water, with or without soap (dish soap, shampoo, shave cream).
There is no reason to do so, absolutely not.
I highly advise not to do this with any natural material: wood, horn, ivory etc. These materials are prone to soak up water that will eventually destroy the material. I also would not do this to any resin as well, just to be safe.
I have no clue why this was recommended anyhow here.
In my stash of brushes from Simpson, Rooney, Saville Row, Thaeter, Shavemac and TGN knot in my own handles, M&F, Semogue there was not one brush that stank, smelled or had an unpleasant, i.e. animalic scent! I am going through a lot of knots in a year, and not one knot smells - believe me I often hold them to my nose just to see if I can detect any unpleasant scent.

Here is what I recommend to do:
* soak your brush knot for a few minutes in warm (!) water
* lather up with soap/cream etc in your hand
* rinse the lather out
* repeat a couple of times

Use a good scented soap or cream, I normally use Salter's Vetiver cream or QED Sandalwood soap. More than three times should not be needed to get any scent out of a knot (swine's hair might be different, but I do not own a boar brush).
I actually had an ivory brush crack on a guy who followed the recommendation of soaking a brush overnight.

Last edited:

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
I have NEVER prewashed a brush; no test lather, just jump in and use it. Out of around 30 brushes I've bought, a third of them brand new, I never detected any kind of "stink". Often wondered if I'm just lucky.

Very good advice. I have had a little funkiness in brushes but nothing that I would consider foul. I would feel devastated if I lost an ivory brush:(

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I have NEVER prewashed a brush; no test lather, just jump in and use it. Out of around 30 brushes I've bought, a third of them brand new, I never detected any kind of "stink". Often wondered if I'm just lucky.

No, you weren't lucky - that's just the way it is :001_smile. Never had a smelly brush or knot, Badger hair that is. I have no experience with boar hair, but from my youth I know that swine's hair will stink nasty when it gets treated with hot water - I used to help slaughter pigs at my cousins when I was a young lad (!) and had to pour scalding hot water over the dead animal and scrape the bristles off, horrible smell:mad3:

rudy.

i recently screwed up a brush following the overnight advice.

coincidentally, sandalwood lather, 2 or 3 times is my new technique, as you suggest.

v.

I'm guilty of passing this information on. It has been particularly helpful with horse hair brushes, which for a lack of a better word, smell like unadulterated donkey-synonym.

Semogues do not smell bad, but Omegas sometimes do.

Anyhow, I won't recommend this anymore. Thanks Rudy.

I do not own a swine bristle brush either rudy,but I own several silvertip and black badgers,never had an odor problem.the 5 horse hair brushes I own,all vie-longs, arrived with a very slight "horse" scent.I lather and rinse a few times,let dry,and after 2 shaves the knot is odor free....I think some guys have a more sensitive schnozz than others...

Thank you, Rudy!

Yes, thanks. I've read of gents doing this and never understood it. I've owned probably about 20 brushes over the past few years, and I always give the new ones a few test lathers and then throw them into rotation. Some smell more than others but a good strong scented cream or soap will overpower it in a couple of lathers.

I've had Italian, Spanish and English boars, as well as half a dozen brands of badger brush. It was just this week that I got a new best badger out of the cupboard, and on the first soak and lathering it had a distinct civet type odour. Made my Acca Kappa smell like Givenchy Gentleman, but not in a good way ! Second lathering with MWF and its completely smell free.

In my early days on these pages, I tried all sorts of advice, some of which improved my shaving out of sight. But some of the brush break in advice turned a nice boar into brittle bristles that eventually wrecked it. I think that may have been the drying with a hair drier on medium heat. I've since discovered that boars need a bit more TLC than badgers.

Thanks for bringing this warning out, Rudy.

Thanks Rudy, I followed the overnight advice previously for my stinky Omega. It worked, but I also soaked it in HOT water once and that caused water to leak into the handle. Just as well they're cheap!

I have nothing but boar brushes. I just use them until the smell fades away. I do not soak over night. I soak my brushes for a few minutes in the sink while I am getting my deodorant on and getting the mug and razor out. All my brushes have resin handles and I have never had a problem. My new Omega is now "funk free" after about 10 shaves or so.

Thanks Rudy... This is valuable info!!!
I've never soaked a brush overnight, but I agree a good couple of lathers got the funk out of most brushes I own.

I had one boar brush that stunk to high heaven, and it took a bunch of latherings to tame it. Proraso can be mighty effective in this regard. Some badgers had a very organic smell (creosote sort of comes to mind -- of course I think Gold Dachs soap smells like mango -- YMMV), and 2 lathers with Proraso take care of it.

I always use a bowl filled with mashed Arko sticks for the first few lathers of a new brush,thats my only adjustment, Arko can overpower any funk !!! I fully agree that nothing else is needed. Just use the blessed brush.

Top Bottom