What's new

DE Shaver Interview - HDStreetGlide

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Scott agreed to do an interview a little while ago. I know he puts heaps of time in the safety razor forum and uses straights on the occasion. All interviews are available in Wiki. So, here's HDStreetGlide interview, he's a cheeky bugger!

Who are you? / Where are you located?
My name is Scott, I am also known on the forum as Bigfoot. I live in Kansas City Missouri.

How do you take your coffee?
Preferably iced with non fat milk and artificially sweetened.

What happened that made you seek a better shave, or if the chicken came before the egg, how did you find B&B?
I just decided one morning that I hated shaving. I called my dad and asked him what that razor was I played with as a kid. He did not know the name of it but said it was a Gillette and he could adjust it. So I researched Gillette with an adjuster and got linked to B&B. I lurked for a short while and decided this is what I wanted to do. I bought a Slim on Ebay and joined B&B.....The rest as they say is history.

What was it that held your interest?
I can name a lot of things, but the most important one is, it is just plain fun. I actually look forward to shaving every morning.

How did you get started with DE's? What did you start with?
I think I may have answered this above. Yes I am sure I have.

Shave Cream & Soaps? what did you find that worked well from those initial trials?
I started with a tube of Prorasso and a Puck of Williams. Initially I struggled with the Williams, but could make great lather from the Prorasso. I was determined to make lather with the Williams, so I stuck with it and lo and behold I suceeded. I really think the persistence with the Williams is what makes it so easy to lather other soaps.

Determination is key when shaving, how did you push through the Month + of sub par shaves? did you know there was a light at the end of the tunnel?
I hate to say this but I never really struggled. I followed the tutorials on B&B to the letter. I asked a lot of newbie questions. I did a week of one wtg pass. I then added a single xtg pass for a week. On my third week I was doing 3 passes and getting a dfs. I have to admit a lot of that success I have to attribute to a steward by the name of Luc. He was a very helpful and patient man. I wonder what happened to him?

Now my favorite question... if you were stranded on a desert island and could only choose:
3 razors:
  • Mercur 37G
  • Bull Mastiff with Flared Tip handle, paired with an Old Type head from Bob's Razor Works.
  • Gillette Aristocrat.

2 brushes:
  • G3 Eagle
  • Any handle with a Shavemac D01 knot.

3 soaps:
  • SCS Bayrum
  • SCS Bayrum with a twist.
  • Vostock by Queen Charlotte.

2 creams:
  • Proraso
  • The Bomb

3 colognes:
  • I am going to name scents here because most of my colognes are all SCS.
  • BayRum with a twist
  • BayRum
  • Melaizze

3 Aftershaves:
  • SCS
  • Old Spice
  • Prorasso

What is your blade preference and what is your rotation regime?
I have developed quite a passion for Feathers. I never used to like them but I now find myself using them in just about every razor. I will also use Lords Super Platinum, and Crystals.`I use a blade for three days and then change it. I have a fairly tough beard so 3 days pretty much dulls most blades. I figure they are cheap why use them dull.

Are you currently reading a book? or perhaps even better; what book will you be reading next?
I will not say what I am reading now.....Phil will make way to much fun of me. The next book downloaded on my Nook ready to go is Quake by Richard Laymon.

Favorite Movie or two?
  • The original 3 Star Wars
  • All of the Planet of the Apes movies.
  • Star Trek 4 The Voyage Home
  • The Outlaw Jose Wales

With what fictional/historical character do you most identify?
I enjoy history so that is a tough question. I would have to say I really respect a lot of the founding fathers of the US. It took a lot of guts to do what they did.

Do you have any motto's, sayings, or quotes to live by?
*Keep the Chrome Shining and the Rubber Side Down.*

What has been the best advice you've gotten from a member at B&B?
I am not sure there has been any one piece of advice that sticks out. I think it has been the accumulative knowledge of the members. I learn something new every day on the boards.

If you could give one piece of advice to someone new at this, what would it be?
No pressure. The weight of the razor is all you need. I will even repeat that "No pressure. The weight of the razor is all you need". Relax and enjoy the shave!

I have one question to ask for myself........

Why do Luc and Marcus thing this straight razor is so ugly?

Here are a few of my favorite pieces from my Shave Den!

My 1st collectors piece.

The President.

Old Type Bigfellow.

54 and 58 TV Specials.

Two day set.

This Boker is my favorite straight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great interview, Luc! I hope the desert island is big enough for all of Scott's essentials. :wink2:

Last edited:
great questions Luc , I too too stumbled upon B&B while looking for a razor I.d. and date source. I also like the shaving advise at the end. luc you asked why do you think that razor is so ugly? I say that it's the scales/handle, besides the ugly handl/scales I think that notched/shefield razor is nice, I like the notched straights razors.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Great interview! I hope the desert island is big enough for all his essentials.
proxy.php

:001_huh::confused1:001_unsur:w00t:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
great questions Luc , I too too stumbled upon B&B while looking for a razor I.d. and date source. I also like the shaving advise at the end. luc you asked why do you think that razor is so ugly? I say that it's the scales/handle, besides the ugly handl/scales I think that notched/shefield razor is nice, I like the notched straights razors.

Those scales are visually disturbing...

Great Scott! Great, Scott!

You have some purdy razors sir... and another one that looks like a peacock ate a box of crayons and crapped on it... :001_tt2:

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Wonderful interview with one of B&B's finest. :thumbup1: And, Scott, your DE razors look VERY nice... the #15 is a true gem, my friend. :001_wub:

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Get this right Harry..... A MOPED!!!!!! He rides a Moped!!!!!

Great interview Scott

By the way I like those scales !!!!!

Brian....Brian......Brian,

Does this look like a freakin Moped!!:cursing:

Attachments

• $wm_normal_StreetGlide003_edited-1.jpg
    $wm_normal_StreetGlide003_edited-1.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 156
Get this right Harry..... A MOPED!!!!!! He rides a Moped!!!!!

Great interview Scott

By the way I like those scales !!!!!

It might be, but I doubt it would also accomodate his signature. :lol:

Great thread guys!

Brian....Brian......Brian,

Does this look like a freakin Moped!!:cursing:

How do you ever shave around those nostrils?:001_tt2:

Great interview and really cool bike!

You guys crack me up....

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I agree that first straight is horrid, it is bringing shame to your collection. I will dispose of it properly, if you wish :)

Top Bottom