What's new

20,000 Shaves Under the Sea -- Myatt Daymark Adjustable

I picked this razor up several weeks ago and have been meaning to post some pics of it, but I've only just now gotten around to it. I swear, it looks like something Captain Nemo would have shaved with on board the Nautilus.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I've never seen a Myatt quite like this one before. I've got one that's a more usual three-piece that unscrews at the head, but this one comes apart like a Single Ring with an inner barrel. And just like the Single Ring, it's "adjustable" by loosening the or tightening the cap to change the flexion of the blade; however, this Myatt is actually marked with adjustment points on the handle and an arrow on the bottom knob so you'd be able to tell exactly where had it set.

proxy.php

Also, I see that Myatt worked in both silver and silver plate. The look and the feel of it screams silver, and I can't find any brassed spots on it even though it's obviously pretty well worn; however, it's not marked with anything that I would recognize as a proper hallmark, so I assume it's plated. The three pieces are each stamped with single letters that are clearly their own separate marks, though -- "Z" on the guard/handle, "T" on the cap, and what looks to be a "B" on the bottom of the inner barrel.

proxy.php

proxy.php

I've dug through several old threads, particularly this one, but can't find another one just like this one. Does anyone else have one or know of one from somewhere else?

It looks like they were attempting to keep the blade from nicking someone with that design but I don't see how that kind of blade guard would allow the razor to cut hair off at the skin level. That may be why not many are still around.

So art deco. I think member onotoman has one of that but I am not sure. Tightening knob adjusting is unique for British razors, I guess. If it accepts modern blades, that will be good for you.

It looks like they were attempting to keep the blade from nicking someone with that design but I don't see how that kind of blade guard would allow the razor to cut hair off at the skin level. That may be why not many are still around.

The curving "comb" part of the guard doesn't actually get in the way at all. The blade floats above it, and the shave angle tips it out away from your face. It's the top of the bar and the cap that are on your face.

Gillette also claimed the feature for their razors. See the advert below. They also patented a method of adjustement in GB patent 142772.

http://www.razoremporium.com/archive/print/catalogs/1914/62.html

Yeah, that's what I was talking about when I mentioned that it adjusts like a Single Ring. Some of the original Gillette instruction booklets had the same guidance in them. Tightening the razor all the way curves the blade so it's flat on the guard comb for a mild shave, and loosening it slightly allows the blade to straighten out lifting the edge up off the guard plate for more carnage. :laugh:

Cool razor BTW. Does it take standard DE blades?

Sadly, no, so I haven't been able to use it yet. The cap studs are too large to fit through the standard blade's cutout, but I do have another Daymark that came with some blades so I'm going to try to see if I can use one as a template to modify a standard blade enough to fit.

Looks aweful, even terrible what a pile of junk, what a rotter, now maybe i could be the guardian of that nasty looking thang for like the rest of my life lol, seriously that is awesome, of course I would not want one but if you ever wanted to get rid of it, I know a guy that knows a guy that would hahaha.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
That is cool......I have never seen a Daymark like that. Can you give us a bit of a hint where you found it? Such as antique store, flea market....etc.

Here is the link. The seller informed it takes modern blades.

Yeah, I'm not sure how someone could have had a standard Wilkinson Sword in there, unless they really crammed it onto the studs and didn't mind that it warped the hell out of the blade. Or maybe the seller just saw a loose blade in the blade case and assumed that it worked with the razor.

Either way I just ignored that since I knew these kinds of Myatts had the larger studs. Some have studs that are pointed on both the inside and outside. This one's are pointed on the outsides and round on the inside, so I'm hoping I can get away with a few simple nips to do a blade modification.

I picked this razor up several weeks ago and have been meaning to post some pics of it, but I've only just now gotten around to it. I swear, it looks like something Captain Nemo would have shaved with on board the Nautilus.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I've never seen a Myatt quite like this one before. I've got one that's a more usual three-piece that unscrews at the head, but this one comes apart like a Single Ring with an inner barrel. And just like the Single Ring, it's "adjustable" by loosening the or tightening the cap to change the flexion of the blade; however, this Myatt is actually marked with adjustment points on the handle and an arrow on the bottom knob so you'd be able to tell exactly where had it set.

proxy.php

Also, I see that Myatt worked in both silver and silver plate. The look and the feel of it screams silver, and I can't find any brassed spots on it even though it's obviously pretty well worn; however, it's not marked with anything that I would recognize as a proper hallmark, so I assume it's plated. The three pieces are each stamped with single letters that are clearly their own separate marks, though -- "Z" on the guard/handle, "T" on the cap, and what looks to be a "B" on the bottom of the inner barrel.

proxy.php

proxy.php

I've dug through several old threads, particularly this one, but can't find another one just like this one. Does anyone else have one or know of one from somewhere else?

This is such a neat razor that I had to bump this up! Neato.

Top Bottom