What's new

Once you go Feather, there's no turning back

Once you go Feather, there's no turning back

I went Feather, and I turned back.

Now, if the thread title was Once you go Vegetal, there's no stopping you at all, I'd be with you, buddy.

I'm a Feather user, but for a little different reason. I have been DE shaving for a few months. I made a "sink or swim" decision when I first started. I started with a Feather AS/Feather blade combo, as I heard the AS was mild. No problems out of the ordinary, so I switched my go to razor to a Futur and ramped it up to 5 in about a week. That is what I still use. I figured that if I used a sharp blade in an aggressive razor to learn, I would be able to use most other razor/blade combos without problem and maybe accellerate the learning curve. I'm still learning, but I'm pretty happy with my results. It is probably not the right approach for everyone, but it's working for me.

Yea, I turned back. What remains of my 10 pack of Feathers is on the bottom of the stack. They're just not for me. I find them to be nearly as rough as a Merkur. Yes I've tried different razor combos, and no its not my technique. As mentioned before, i shouldn't have to alter my technique for one blade when it works perfectly fine for every other blade. And a good blade will work in all of my razors.

I know YMMV vary, but in my opinion, Feather has benefited from a lot of hype on this forum and the fact that some people just like to be a part of the majority. Because i certainly don't understand the love. Shark, Astra, Gillette 7 o'clocks are just a few that I have tried that give a superior shave.

Sorry to rant.... I just don't get the hype.

Sorry to rant.... I just don't get the hype.

To be fair, they are generally agreed to be the sharpest current production blades out there. A lot of us like the "tier 2" blades because their other properties are superior. But if you are a sharpness hound (??? - just made that up :lol:) you would be hard-pressed to find a better option.

I use Feathers and find that for me, they are almost the universal blade. They work well in my Muhle R101, '64 Slim Adjustable, '55 Super Speed and Feather AS to give me a BBS. I only get 3 good shaves out of them, just like any other blade in my rotation. Astra SP, Lord Platinums and Crystals work great in the Muhle, but not in the my Slim Adjustable or Super Speed. To me finding the right razor and blade combination is the art of DE shaving

Feather has benefited from a lot of hype on this forum and the fact that some people just like to be a part of the majority. Sorry to rant.... I just don't get the hype.

I truly wish it were merely hype. I'm diligently trying to find something that is merely "pretty close" to the performance of a Feather on it's first or second shave and but I haven't found it. If I wanted to be part of a majority I would simply go back to a M3 or fusion. I actually find it more satisfying to find a bargain even if the brand is considered passe' by the inner circle.

I found the Feather only after using a Merkur and a Derby. After my first dodgey Feather shave, I got excellent shaves with the Feather in my 23c and then subsequently my 37c Slant. Despite the frequent re-enforcement from the B&B Forums that there was no where to go but down with anything but a Feather, I still want to find something better, as good, or nearly as good but at a lower price point. I would actually get a bigger kick out of finding some little known blade from a far away land with some peculiar packaging that rivaled the Feather in performance.

I'm on to try the Gillette Yellows as they are often referenced by those who love Feathers.

I tired the Personna Med Preps and Lab Preps which are also mentioned as viable Feather alternatives as well as the Personna Reds and "Barbers". These were promising at first but whenever I switched back to the Feather, I lost interest in the alternatives.

I only use Feathers in my Merkur Slant, but Astra SP is excellent for me in every other razor.
Unfortunately, Feathers cost more than double the Astra SP price!

This thread is a perfect example of how YMMV applies. Personally Feather is my gold standard, but I had an amazing shave with med preps this morning, I might have a new fave along with the Feather.

I'm a Feather/Med Prep person myself. I've tried others with pretty good success, but those are the ones I find myself purchasing. That said, the Astra SP's give almost as good of a shave for 1/4th the price. If I'm sending out a kit I always include a few packs of each of those 3 selections.

Feathers (hi-stainless only) are my gold standard, too. I've tried ~25 different brands and keep coming back. Nothing else comes close.

Interesting that no one has mentioned Bic blades. To my face, Bic are much sharper than Feather. I get burned by Bic even in a mild razor like a Super Speed.

The Feather Crow Carbons are another matter entirely. I'm not sure what their intended purpose is, but they were like shaving with a hacksaw blade.

I only have experience with Feather blades. I love them! But have a sample pack of blades on the way. We shall see if any of them change my preference for the Feather.

I prefer Feathers. Tried other blades but I have to do more passes with most to get to what I want and for me the more passes the more irritation.
Got a few packs of Kai blades that I havent tried yet though

I've learned quickly in my month of DE shaving is that I need a good night sleep and 30 oz. at least of coffee in me before I shave with a Feather.

At $25 for 50 blades, they are twice as expensive as my preferred 7'oclocks and as much as I'd like to put down that cash, I've already put down $50 on a new brush, soap, and blades. I believe it's time to feed my guitar AD now anyways ;)

Feathers (hi-stainless only) are my gold standard, too. I've tried ~25 different brands and keep coming back. Nothing else comes close.

Interesting that no one has mentioned Bic blades. To my face, Bic are much sharper than Feather. I get burned by Bic even in a mild razor like a Super Speed.

The Feather Crow Carbons are another matter entirely. I'm not sure what their intended purpose is, but they were like shaving with a hacksaw blade.

IME, BIC runs a close second to Feathers in terms of sharpness. I get great shaves from BICs but I have found them to be not as consistant as Feathers. Every now and then, I get a real clunker BIC. No worries, they are really cheap.

I've only used one feather blade and I got 4 good shaves out of it. However I had just as good shaves from a Sharp brand blade and there only $14 per 100. So I don't see the point in paying the extra money.

I've gotten lots of good shaves from lots of blades including shark, derby, 7 O'Clock, dorco. I actually have about 40 dorcos at my house right now. The criticism of relatively quick deterioration is valid. They cost ~.32 each in batches of 100 making them more expensive than most. I would like nothing better than to find something better that lasts longer for less. But include me with those for whom the feather gives a shave experience unmatched by any other blade.

I was so excited when I first got my Feather blades, after all the praise I have heard about them. I took them out of the oily wrapper and put the slimy blade in my EJ DE razor. I did not like them at all. They did not seem nowhere as sharp as my Shark Blades and not as sharp as the Bluebirds or 7 O'clocks. I have not tried them in any of my Gillette razors. I find my Shark blades are too aggressive in my Gillette new style. There are so many variables (face shapes, techniques, beards thickness and density, and razor head styles) that to say one blade is the best ever made is like saying one car is the best ever made. A Ferrari Enzo may be super fast but can it haul the family to see the world’s largest collection of badger brushes?

I took them out of the oily wrapper and put the slimy blade in my EJ DE razor. I did not like them at all.

Oily? Slimy? ?SYNTAX ERROR? All of the Feather Hi-Stainles that I have used come in what seems to be a silicon-impregnated paper wrapper, not an oily one. The only part that could possibly be considered "slimy" (and it's not, strictly speaking) is the paraffin "glue dots" that are used to hold the wrapper closed. Lots of people complain about glue dots, on a lot of different blades. I have no problem with them. They're small and don't gum up my Progress.

If you want to get rid of your Feathers, I'd be happy to dispose of them. ;)

Top Bottom