What's new

Manual Typewriter Users?

Any of you use older manual typewriters?
I learned to type on an old Royal in High School back in the mid eighties and have always had a love for the old clickers. I don't collect em, just like to write on them on occasion.

This is the old Underwood No. 6 which sits on my Great-Grandfather's little writing desk beside my computer desk. Not a beauty but an old workhorse.

proxy.php

There's something about the clankily clank of an old typewriter. I read an essay written by a professional writer. He uses a modern computer with Microsoft Word to write, and he says it makes it a lot easier to write, but that it is sort of a handicap at the same time. Because with a computer, you can easily erase and start over, over and over, so sometimes you don't make any forward progress and you may erase material that was actually good. But with an older typewriter, you type and you just keep going with it.

I always used a typewriter, and wanted nothing to do with a computer. Finally time passed, and so did typewriters. I was dragged kicking and screaming, no lie, into the computer age. Now things are so much easier with the computer. I'm not all that good with one, but at least I can type. I'm learning all the time, and it really is easier, and much better. :thumbup1:

Great thread!

I have a Remington Portable, still with its zippered case. I finally ran my last ribbon to unusable state.

Any ideas where these can be found?

Best,

- John

I chanced on an old Underwood in an antique mall here in Denver recently and nearly bought it. I may go back and see if it's still there, although I have nowhere to put it. More of a thing to admire rather than use.

I went through a phase when I was a teenager where I really wanted an old typewriter like my grandfather's, but nothing ever came of it. Those bulky old things have a certain beauty to them, don't they?

I type songs and poems on mine, everything else I do on this Dell :thumbup1:
As to where to buy ribbons I have found ebay to be the best place to buy new ones.
Wp

It's not a manual, but I still use it for addressing envelopes.
Smith Corona portable. I would like to have a manual Underwood.

There's something about the clankily clank of an old typewriter. I read an essay written by a professional writer. He uses a modern computer with Microsoft Word to write, and he says it makes it a lot easier to write, but that it is sort of a handicap at the same time. Because with a computer, you can easily erase and start over, over and over, so sometimes you don't make any forward progress and you may erase material that was actually good. But with an older typewriter, you type and you just keep going with it.

Allegedly, Kerouac wrote On the Road by typing out a single scroll: http://www.ontheroad.org/

I remember the day, as a high schooler, I moved from my family's Underwood manual to my first Smith Corona electric.

You could never pay me enough to go back to a manual.

Of course, if I ever found a cheap late-year IBM Selectric in excellent condition I'd snap it up in a moment. Now THERE was a typewriter for the ages!

I was able to find ribbons for my Underwood 5 at Staples. They were around $6 a pack, but they should last a good while. They're also double black, so when I run out, I should be able to switch to "red" and keep on going.

I just picked up a Remington Rand Deluxe Model 5 in mint condition, and am thinking of skipping work just to spend more time with it :001_smile

I have an Underwood, a Remington, and an Olivetti/Underwood. Manual typewriters are awesome.

SO awesome.
I've been writing so many letters lately. Even picked up some AIR MAIL envelopes (the ones with the red and blue edging) just 'cause they looked cool.

Tomorrow I'm PIF-ing a typewriter (Brother Majestic), envelopes, and paper to a friend of mine in Calgary. Going to force him to be my pen-pal type-pal, just so I have a reason to type!

SO awesome.
I've been writing so many letters lately. Even picked up some AIR MAIL envelopes (the ones with the red and blue edging) just 'cause they looked cool.

Tomorrow I'm PIF-ing a typewriter (Brother Majestic), envelopes, and paper to a friend of mine in Calgary. Going to force him to be my pen-pal type-pal, just so I have a reason to type!

I love those Air Mail envelopes. Writing a proper letter and mailing it is so much better than just sending an email.

Great thread!

I have a Remington Portable, still with its zippered case. I finally ran my last ribbon to unusable state.

Any ideas where these can be found?

Best,

- John
My old Remington portable in its gray zip around carrying case is in the basement. I periodically think about getting it reconditioned-just never get around to it.

Top Bottom