What's new

Signature King Gillette 1908 Single Ring, How Rare / Common Is It?

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
I couldn't find a serial number mentioned anywhere for Highball's signed single ring. Highball, are you out there?

I found Highball's serial number from a post he made in another razor forum. It's A386011 :detective:

Last edited:
I found Highball's serial number from a post he made in another razor forum. It's A386011 :detective:

Cool. Now we have that. So far, we have a difference if 23,375 numbers between Sandcounty's and Mike's. I am thinking of starting a new thread asking for serial numbers of Single Rings that fall in between those. It would be nice if we knew the serial numbers for the one in Waits, too. You mentioned a fifth. Who has another one?

I decided to finally spring for the Waits Compendium from Lulu. It's probably about time. I guess I can officially call myself a collector now :001_huh:

What page/Chapter is the reference to the signed Single Ring in?

I found the reference in Waits but he has no mention of the serial number. He says simply

"Started using the diamond TM in 1908. A few razors had the King C. Gillette signature only."

Frustrating that there is no more info available.

Intrigued, I am wondering if your signature razor has any cracks that you can find in it? I looked very closely at mine with a magnifying glass and couldn't find a single crack anywhere. I wonder if, because they were "special", they might have used a higher grade/better designed tube for the handle.

How about you, Highball? Any cracks in yours?

Are the cracks not more commonly found in the pocket edition handles? Caused by the stress of the head and ball ends being a tight fit in the barrel?

Are the cracks not more commonly found in the pocket edition handles? Caused by the stress of the head and ball ends being a tight fit in the barrel?

I have seen cracks in all Gillettes made with hollow tubes. They are sometimes very tiny but they are there. My Double Ring and three Single Rings all have at least one. All of my Old Types have some sort of crack.

But this signature Single Ring I have doesn't show any crack at all. I didn't know if maybe they used a special metal or different design for it. Maybe I just got extra lucky :laugh:

Intrigued

Just a minute, I'll go double check...... I just looked at it with a 10 power loop. There are no cracks. For the record the PAT. APL'D FOR Double Ring that I bought from the same Ebay seller had no cracks either. :thumbup:

Just a minute, I'll go double check...... I just looked at it with a 10 power loop. There are no cracks. For the record the PAT. APL'D FOR Double Ring that I bought from the same Ebay seller had no cracks either. :thumbup:

Schweet! Mine has an eyesore of a crack at the top. Not big, but still...

Hey, I PM'd a couple of folks on here that have Single Rings, one of them has a 1908 for certain (A60xxx) so I am waiting to hear back from them. LOL!, I am determined, aren't I? Of course, I am probably just honking everybody off with all of my posting today.

So far, I have the following serial numbers:

A401182 - Sandcounty
A389083 - IronHammer
A386011 - Highball
A377857 - Intrigued
???????? - Waits Compendium

Do we know any of the other serial numbers? Did Waits mention a serial number for that one? I still need to look back at the "Calling all Single Rings" thread to see if there were any serial numbers that fall in between these.

Waits only mentions that they made a few, the pictured razor is a 1908 signed razor but no number can be seen. 1908 A195425-A675857 ....[ started using diamond TM in 1908. A few razors had the king C. Gillette signature only.]

Waits only mentions that they made a few, the pictured razor is a 1908 signed razor but no number can be seen. 1908 A195425-A675857 ....[ started using diamond TM in 1908. A few razors had the king C. Gillette signature only.]

I read those serial numbers as the entire lot of serial numbers from 1908, not necessarily those with signatures. The real interesting part is the fact that we don't know if "a few" means 50, 500 or 5,000! Either way, that would still make them one of the rarest of Gillettes, even more so than the serial numbered PAT. APL'D FOR Double Rings.

In post #13 in this thread, nonicks has a 1908 Single Ring with serial A409518 that apparently does NOT have the signature (no markings at all, according to nonicks). This is very interesting as it was made before Sandcounty's A401182 and my A389083!

EDIT: That thread dates back to 2009 and I don't know if nonicks is still a member and has that razor, but I sent him PM anyway. I would like to get photos of the razor, to verify, if possible.

Last edited:
Incidentally, I just won what looks to be a 1908 Standard Set Single Ring on the bay last night. I am anxious to see what serial number it has. The pics showed it covered up in soap scum, so it will be interesting.

proxy.php

I will be moving the table below to the Wiki tonight so we can better track Signature/1908 Single Rings and hopefully gain more insight on them.

-Todd

Waits has that information in it along with a picture of a signature on a 1908 razor guard. I didn't find any mention of it in Krumholtz.

So far, we have the following serial numbers:

A409518 - nonicks (thread link) suspect has NO signature...verifying...
A401182 - Sandcounty (thread link)
A388088 - IronHammer (thread link)
A386011 - Highball (thread link)
A377857 - Intrigued (thread link)
A353450 - sucuri (thread link) verified NO signature
A272610 - mr-razor (image link) verified NO signature

Do we know any of the other serial numbers? Did Waits mention a serial number for that one? I still need to look back at the "Calling all Single Rings" thread to see if there were any serial numbers that fall in between these.

Last edited:
That's some very nice Wiki work there! :thumbup:

Thanks! I just updated it so that the image is less obtrusive and off to the right hand side. I am hoping we can get more folks interested and maybe a few other "siggies" listed.

On a side note, I wonder if there are any documented siggies on any of the other razor discussion sites?

I just did a search of the Shave Den and all I turned up was highball's post showing his signature razor, which is already documented.

Another update. I have not received any response from Mr. Krumholz regarding this subject. He may be out of town or something.

I just sent an email to Robert Waits asking for more details about the single ring pictured in his Compendium. I am particularly curious what it's serial number is and who the owner is so I can get in touch with them. I have a few questions for him. I am hoping that Robert has some post-publication information he can share with us!

-Todd

Intrigued

So far, we have the following serial numbers:

A409518 - nonicks (thread link) suspect has NO signature...verifying...
A401182 - Sandcounty (thread link)
A389083 - IronHammer (thread link)
A386011 - Highball (thread link)
A377857 - Intrigued (thread link)
A353450 - sucuri (thread link) verified NO signature
A272610 - mr-razor (image link) verified NO signature

The lists looks good except nonicks' A409518 should be at the top of the list with Sandycounty's A401182 second. So far no Single Rings without signatures have shown up with serial numbers between the Signature Single Rings serial numbers. If this trend continues we might someday have an idea of how many of the Signature Single Rings were made. :thumbup1:

Last edited:
Top Bottom