What's new

Aeropress

I know it has already been established, but I've had my Aeropress for about 2 years now and I love it. Being a non-connoisseur and still really a beginner with relatively little exposure to the "finer" coffees, it's nice to see that more experienced coffee lovers like the Aeropress as much as I do.

BTW, I use whatever Pilon or the Cafe Bustelo espresso blend I can find at Walmart. Not much available in the boonies and I can't really see myself ordering coffee off the net.

I know it has already been established, but I've had my Aeropress for about 2 years now and I love it. Being a non-connoisseur and still really a beginner with relatively little exposure to the "finer" coffees, it's nice to see that more experienced coffee lovers like the Aeropress as much as I do.

BTW, I use whatever Pilon or the Cafe Bustelo espresso blend I can find at Walmart. Not much available in the boonies and I can't really see myself ordering coffee off the net.
I really wish that you would try ordering coffee online. It's absolutely fresher than what you're getting at the store, and often better roasted and better quality coffee before the heat touches it.

If you don't like it, you don't have to do it again. It's not going to hurt to broaden your coffee horizons a bit.

Do you have any suggestions? (Budget-able :blush:)
Everyone seems to have a different definition of "budget friendly".

How about this. Less than $1 per cup of some of the best coffee on the planet. Is that economical? I'd say that's a steal, but we are in a world in which people think that this is outrageously expensive.

You be the judge.

self plug -> AJ Coffee Company

HI all, new to the coffee thread, quick question, has anyone tried the coava stainless steel filter that has become available for the aero press? it seems to address all the issues that one would have with paper filters.

thanks Ian

HI all, new to the coffee thread, quick question, has anyone tried the coava stainless steel filter that has become available for the aero press? it seems to address all the issues that one would have with paper filters.

thanks Ian

I have. I like it. It does change the brew dynamics since the metal filtration doesn't provide as much resistance to pressure as the paper filtration, but overall, I'm a fan.

thanks Ian

I have the DISK - it saves you from having to wash the filters and does let a little more flavor through, but I never had a huge problem with paper taste (when rinsed) in the Aeropress.

Thanks guys, cant say the paper bothers me but i am interested in the fact that a little more flavor might get through. Probably will give it a try.

Ian

I have. I like it. It does change the brew dynamics since the metal filtration doesn't provide as much resistance to pressure as the paper filtration, but overall, I'm a fan.

I have the DISK - it saves you from having to wash the filters and does let a little more flavor through, but I never had a huge problem with paper taste (when rinsed) in the Aeropress.

what sort of grinder are you guys using?

i originally got the aeropress because i couldn't stand the sludge/fine grounds in my coffee that i got using my whirly-blade grinder and a french press.

i would imagine that the disk essentially just turns the aeropress into an upside-down french press and still wouldn't work well unless i have a decent burr grinder, correct?

The holes are pretty small; I'm using a burr grinder, but I imagine a careful use of the whirly-blade wouldn't be totally amiss.

what sort of grinder are you guys using?

i originally got the aeropress because i couldn't stand the sludge/fine grounds in my coffee that i got using my whirly-blade grinder and a french press.

i would imagine that the disk essentially just turns the aeropress into an upside-down french press and still wouldn't work well unless i have a decent burr grinder, correct?
It filters finer than a french press by a large margin.

Even still, the grinder makes all the difference. I have a Mazzer SJ and I take a Hario Skerton with me when traveling.

thanks guys,

i went ahead and ordered the disk since i'm nearly out of filters anyway. i'll try it with the whirly-blade and see how it goes. a burr grinder is definitely on my list of upgrades, but who knows when i'll actually get it.

i made a cup using the "inverted" method with a regular paper filter and ended up with a cup that had much more body than usual and the slightest film of oil on top so i'm a happy camper. hopefully the disk will make it even better!

Last edited:
thanks guys,

i went ahead and ordered the disk since i'm nearly out of filters anyway. i'll try it with the whirly-blade and see how it goes. a burr grinder is definitely on my list of upgrades, but who knows when i'll actually get it.

i made a cup using the "inverted" method with a regular paper filter and ended up with a cup that had much more body than usual and the slightest film of oil on top so i'm a happy camper. hopefully the disk will make it even better!
Using that method, it will. I personally notice more aromatics from the disk using the inverted method. Normal dose (60g per liter), normal dwell time for grind size.

My son-in-law is co-owner of a business called "Crop-to-Cup." They import the highest quality coffee from Uganda, Burundi, Kenya etc. For Christmas, I sent them an Aeropress. He has told me that he thinks the Aeropress makes the closest thing to Espresso without a multi-thousand-dollar machine. So, to me, that's about as high a recommendation that the Aeropress can get.

I have another friend who's a chemist. He tells me that the chemistry of coffee is among the most complex. From a chemists point of view, coffee deteriorates rapidly after roasting, grinding and brewing. If you want to prevent that, you'll grind before brewing and make individual cups... never letting the coffee sit or (worse) warm. I haven't tried them but he says that using one of the home-roasters for green beans makes a big difference too.

I asked my son-in-law if that wasn't just hype (since he sells his beans already roasted) and he said... no. Roasting beans just prior to grinding and brewing WILL produce a superior cup. However, there are few people willing to go to that much trouble.

Roasting beans just prior to grinding and brewing WILL produce a superior cup.

The most subtle (volatile) aromatic molecules are oxidized in less than an hour. The heavier oils take about a day to evaporate. And, even in a perfectly hermetic container, after a few days, the coffee looses its finest aromas because of chemical interactions. After that, it takes a few weeks to detect any further degradation.

The most subtle (volatile) aromatic molecules are oxidized in less than an hour. The heavier oils take about a day to evaporate. And, even in a perfectly hermetic container, after a few days, the coffee looses its finest aromas because of chemical interactions. After that, it takes a few weeks to detect any further degradation.
I would strongly advise against brewing right after roasting.

While it's true that more of the aromatics are present, it is also true that more CO2 is present as well. CO2 is a binder of aromatics, which would explain the higher concentration of both at once, and the deterioration of flavor as coffee ages off the roast.

That having been said, CO2 + hot H2O = carbonic acid. carbonic acid inhibits extraction, and even harms the flavor. I've worked with coffee that is too fresh, and it is not a good time. In all honesty, it is better to allow it to rest for at least a day before brewing. For me, the peak day is usually around day 3. It is possible to get coffee by mail on its 3rd day. (I do it all the time)

I am not just saying this because I sell roasted coffee. I used to roast days in advance as a home roaster for the same reason.

I have been a consultant and barista trainer for the specialty coffee retail market for over 5 years. You don't have to believe me, but this is what I've learned from experience. Test it yourself and come to your own conclusions.

I do not disagree with your comments, but I would not totally shy away from very freshly roasted coffee. A few months ago I was out of coffee and did a roast. The beans had not even cooled down when I ground them and used in a pour over. Seemed to give more bloom (head?) than normal, but the cup was still quite good.

Top Bottom