What's new

PILS or Feather AS-D1

If the Feather was the current price of the Pils, I would buy the Pils. If the Pils was the current price of the Feather, I would buy the Pils, because it would be a good price.

If I were to decide based on the current price of each, I would buy the Feather.

Having used both, I'd go with the Feather (at any price).

The Pils is a really well-made razor and is pretty easy to use, but the shaves, though serviceable, are underwhelming.

Stick a Feather blade in the Feather SS and it's as good as any DE razor I've ever used. It isn't aggressive, but after a 3-pass shave, my face is smooooothh!!

I'd say that for these two razors:

Build quality = TIE (Both are amazingly built, and beautiful)
Ease of use = TIE (The Feather was more intuitive for me, but it was a minor difference)
Quality of shave = Feather wins! (The Pils can shave well, but has some quirks, and fit issues in the upper lip area. The Feather just works!)
Price = Feather wins! (For obvious reasons)

--------

I usually like more aggressive razors, and was prepared to dislike the Feather. When I shave with it, I'm always amazed at how smooth the shaves are, and I sometimes wonder if it's actually doing anything. However, I can't argue with the results.

I have a decent DE collection, but if I was pushed to choose just one DE razor to keep, it would be the Feather AS.

NOTE: The usual 'YMMV' caveat applies here, of course.

Ha! As you can see from the above posts, there is a difference of opinion between the Pils and Feather.

Really, the only way you're going to be able to figure out which one will work for you is to try each of them. Unfortunately, that's an expensive experiment.

:lol:

If you have a low-testosterone beard you may be happy with the Feather $$. :001_rolle If you are blessed with a beard of steel that is suitable for coarse sanding and finishing bondo, the Pils is the answer. No matter how many passes with the Feather $$, never quite BBS. Now with the Pils? Ahh! Four passes with the good ol' Feather blade and Nirvana.

I managed to borrow both over the past 2 months and I fell in love with the feather. Build quality and shave it wins hands down. I will but myself one for my next birthday :)

Having used both, I'd go with the Feather (at any price).

The Pils is a really well-made razor and is pretty easy to use, but the shaves, though serviceable, are underwhelming.

Stick a Feather blade in the Feather SS and it's as good as any DE razor I've ever used. It isn't aggressive, but after a 3-pass shave, my face is smooooothh!!
I agree with all of this, with the exception that an Astra SP is plenty sharp for my "low testosterone" beard. I can use a Feather blade without bleeding, but it requires a lot more concentration and makes the shave a bit less enjoyable. Plus, even if I don't bleed, my Proraso AS splash always stings a bit more after a shave with a Feather blade.

I was able to borrow a Pils and knew it wasn't for me after one shave, and then took a chance on buying a Feather AS--and I'm not sure I even need my EJ DE89 or '58 Super Speed anymore. :biggrin1:

Last edited:
If you have a low-testosterone beard you may be happy with the Feather $$. :001_rolle If you are blessed with a beard of steel that is suitable for coarse sanding and finishing bondo, the Pils is the answer. No matter how many passes with the Feather $$, never quite BBS. Now with the Pils? Ahh! Four passes with the good ol' Feather blade and Nirvana.

I beg to differ. I don't think greater weight or aggressiveness is necessarily the answer to a thick beard. Proper prep and technique is way more important. Anyway, the Pils is not much more aggressive than the Feather, if at all.

If you want aggressive, go with a Fatip Muehle OC, or a Futur opened up. The Pils is pretty mild - it just has weight on its side. The Feather is almost equally aggressive, but rewards proper technique with a smooth shave - even for testosterone-laden beards.

However, different techniques will result in different results, so I'm sure the Pils works better for some people than the Feather. In my case, the Feather suited my technique better than the Pils.

There have been some reported QC issues with the Pils regarding rust... has that been resolved?

I had two, and they both showed the rust formation in the interior of the head. They came in different boxes, so perhaps that means they were from different lots.

I beg to differ. I don't think greater weight or aggressiveness is necessarily the answer to a thick beard. Proper prep and technique is way more important. Anyway, the Pils is not much more aggressive than the Feather, if at all.

If you want aggressive, go with a Fatip Muehle OC, or a Futur opened up. The Pils is pretty mild - it just has weight on its side. The Feather is almost equally aggressive, but rewards proper technique with a smooth shave - even for testosterone-laden beards.

However, different techniques will result in different results, so I'm sure the Pils works better for some people than the Feather. In my case, the Feather suited my technique better than the Pils.

I had two, and they both showed the rust formation in the interior of the head. They came in different boxes, so perhaps that means they were from different lots.

I won't BEG to differ, I just disagree.
Your assertion that "I don't think greater weight or aggressiveness is necessarily the answer to a thick beard." is yours and you are certainly entitled to it in the Chowder and Marching Society environment of the forums. From the standpoint of experience I find your assertion delusional.

Further while your assertion "Proper prep and technique is way more important." may or may not be true, but it has no bearing when an individual uses the same prep without regard to razor. I can assure you that showering, steaming, and prelathering do not improve the performance of the Feather $$.

Let us not be silly, your experience aside, "Anyway, the Pils is not much more aggressive than the Feather, if at all. " is just plain silly. Opinions are just like anal orifi, everyone has one and they all are suspect. This appears to be just an exercise in post count on your part. If that is the best you can offer, I provide the following for you:

Blade angle and blade exposure may not affect the shave for an understated beard, but be assured the design of the razor plays a major part in the shave's efficacy when all other items are held constant.
The Pils is significantly more aggressive, both from the standpoint of blade exposure (greater) and blade angle (straighter). Much like the Futur when cranked past the 5's "." the Pils gives the blade maximum exposure without a safety bar intervening.
Your assertion about prep has no bearing on this discussion. Please note that while you may prep differently for each razor, I do not. And I am sure after using the consistent technique that it merely proves one thing, i.e. for many years I must have been doing it wrong.:thumbdown

Having read the numerous posts on Pils and rust to include Poonjaji:
  • First I was satisfied that both Pils and the reliable venders replaced the offending razors and
  • Second that it was not rust as we think of iron being oxidized, but unlike metals being formed with the stainless.

I am not quite sure from whence your experience and opinion originate, but I must admit it flies in the face of the experience of many others and my own.

I'm not in the market for either razor, but I am curious to hear more about them. By the way, does anyone have full specs for these? The Feather AS weighs 3.2 ounces but has a fairly small blade gap (akin to a Gillette adjustable on 3, supposedly). Couldn't find data on the PILS, except somebody measuring its weight at a whopping 4.0 oz.

Your assertion that "I don't think greater weight or aggressiveness is necessarily the answer to a thick beard." is yours and you are certainly entitled to it in the Chowder and Marching Society environment of the forums. From the standpoint of experience I find your assertion delusional.

Further while your assertion "Proper prep and technique is way more important." may or may not be true, but it has no bearing when an individual uses the same prep without regard to razor. I can assure you that showering, steaming, and prelathering do not improve the performance of the Feather $$.

Let us not be silly, your experience aside, "Anyway, the Pils is not much more aggressive than the Feather, if at all. " is just plain silly. Opinions are just like anal orifi, everyone has one and they all are suspect. This appears to be just an exercise in post count on your part. If that is the best you can offer, I provide the following for you:

Blade angle and blade exposure may not affect the shave for an understated beard, but be assured the design of the razor plays a major part in the shave's efficacy when all other items are held constant.
The Pils is significantly more aggressive, both from the standpoint of blade exposure (greater) and blade angle (straighter). Much like the Futur when cranked past the 5's "." the Pils gives the blade maximum exposure without a safety bar intervening.
Your assertion about prep has no bearing on this discussion. Please note that while you may prep differently for each razor, I do not. And I am sure after using the consistent technique that it merely proves one thing, i.e. for many years I must have been doing it wrong.:thumbdown

Having read the numerous posts on Pils and rust to include Poonjaji:
  • First I was satisfied that both Pils and the reliable venders replaced the offending razors and
  • Second that it was not rust as we think of iron being oxidized, but unlike metals being formed with the stainless.

I am not quite sure from whence your experience and opinion originate, but I must admit it flies in the face of the experience of many others and my own.

...Can I borrow some of your testosterone?

To the OP -

What you're going to get in this thread is a bunch of 'I preferred X razor, or I preferred Y razor'. Nobody can tell you what's going to work best for you.

Both are good razors that are well made. Some people prefer one, others prefer the other. Nobody has quite the face/hair/skin combo you have, so nobody can tell you for sure which razor will work best for you. The only way to figure that out would be to try them both.

I usually like very aggressive razors (think Muhle Fatip OC, Barbasol, Futur, OC Micromatic etc.). When I got the Pils, I didn't think it did a good job as an aggressive razor - too many passes needed, and the shave wasn't great ----------- for me (the last two words are the most important here). Our testosterone laden friend above obviously had the opposite experience - and he's right -- but so am I. Our individual experiences, are just that - individual.

Over time, I've also found that proper technique with even a mild razor like the Feather AS, or an ABC Gillette can shave off even the toughest beards - and give me a close shave. This may not work for everyone, of course.

Anyway, the upshot of my experiments with the Pils and Feather is that, in my case the Feather was a keeper but the Pils was not.

To clarify the rusting issue with the Pils: Something about the manufacture or composition of the Pils causes the formation of rust when the blade is retained in the razor. This is easy to buff out with a Q-tip and some Simichrome. However, a lot of people dislike the rust formation on a $200+ razor.

It must be noted however, that the razor itself is not rusting. The blade combined with the head of the razor, or some leftovers from machining is what's forming the rust. It didn't seem to stop, in the case of the two Pils razors I had.

Me-ow!

The only sensible course of action is to buy both razors and try them out for yourself.

Agreed. For me and my medium testosterone beard, the Feather AS + Astra SP +2 pass + touch-up = BBS. YMMV:001_rolle

I have an Open Comb All Stainless razor from a "BANNED VENDOR" and I find it more aggressive than the Feather. Great quality, and fit and and finish. Just have to be more careful with it than the Feather. My Feather AS is as easy to use as a SuperSpeed Flare tip or dare I say a Gillette Tech.

Also, the Feather AS is the quietest DE razor I have used. This lack of auditory response (especially if you are used to it) also makes it feel like you don't have a blade in the razor. This obviously makes you think it is milder than it actually is. If you also shave with straights or SE razors, the lack of audible feedback can be a bit unnerving. It's like driving an electric car after being used to a big block Corvette.

Have not tried the Pils.

Last edited:
Top Bottom