What's new

Guys, please help-Best Dandruff Shampoo?

While this is still an active thread I was wondering....

Does anyone on here experience dandruff flakes developing on their face??
I've had this recurring problem going on 8 years, its off and on (mostly on) and I find that most medications and dandruff shampoos really don't effectively control the flaking and redness. I have used a prescription foam cream called luxiq, it works, it's just really expensive and it feels like using bayrum on skin freshly shaven with a piece of glass. Any recommendations for this?? I have searched for a thread about this and didn't find it, so I am sorry if there is one, I just thought I would get this out there and see if anyone else knows what's up on it.
Almost certainly seborrheic dermatitis.

Ask your physician to prescribe a cream called Promiseb. Great stuff, no steroid in it so you don't have to worry about using it frequently.

In the meantime, try (believe it or not) rubbing a little Pacific Shave Company shave oil into the flaky areas, gently rubbing the flakes off, before you go to bed at night.

It is seborrheic dermatitis. The shampoos, ingredients and products recommended to treat the symptoms just haven't been working. Now with that said, I don't have flakes on my scalp anymore. I used to, but selson blue cleared that up, and now I only use it occasionally as needed. But the scaling on my face on both sides of my nose has kinda gotten out of control. It used to not be much of a problem but now people are asking me who punched me in the face because of the red marks. Aggravating, to say the least.
Another possibility is that you have rosacea. Metrogel or Clindagel applied at night is helpful for this.

Seborrhea is usually worse around the eyebrows, especially the inner part of the eyebrows and on the forehead than it is on the cheeks.

Again, if you're SURE it's seborrhea, ask for Promiseb. It's the best thing out there by far. If it could be rosacea, ask for Metrogel. If you're not sure, ask your doctor to send you to a dermatologist.

While this is still an active thread I was wondering....

Does anyone on here experience dandruff flakes developing on their face??
I've had this recurring problem going on 8 years, its off and on (mostly on) and I find that most medications and dandruff shampoos really don't effectively control the flaking and redness. I have used a prescription foam cream called luxiq, it works, it's just really expensive and it feels like using bayrum on skin freshly shaven with a piece of glass. Any recommendations for this?? I have searched for a thread about this and didn't find it, so I am sorry if there is one, I just thought I would get this out there and see if anyone else knows what's up on it.

I would strongly recommend seeing your doctor to get this checked out because it is a symptom of an underlying problem. Once you know what it is then you will be able to start to treat it.....

Cheers

Another possibility is that you have rosacea. Metrogel or Clindagel applied at night is helpful for this.

Seborrhea is usually worse around the eyebrows, especially the inner part of the eyebrows and on the forehead than it is on the cheeks.

Again, if you're SURE it's seborrhea, ask for Promiseb. It's the best thing out there by far. If it could be rosacea, ask for Metrogel. If you're not sure, ask your doctor to send you to a dermatologist.

I have had 2 doctors and a dermatologists say its SD. I hope they are right.

However, I've found that 2 prescriptions used in tandem knock out symptoms REALLY quickly. Elidel, and luxiq. I know, I know, Elidel is a steroid based cream and I only use it when it is ABSOLUTELY necessary. When the scaling and redness was about at its maximum, I applied only Elidel to it, maybe 4 different times. Redness is 100 percent gone, and scaling and flaking is about 98 percent gone.

Now that the redness and flakes are away, I will keep them at bay with the luxiq, which is a foam. These sure are expensive prescriptions, even with my good insurance. Elidel has no generic I am afraid. If anyone is reading this and is thinking about using these 2 treatments when all else fails, I recommend it. Stuff works. It is expensive though.

T

true01

hey guys what really seems to help me with my seborra is Scalpacin Maximum Strength with hydrocortisone it comes in a little white bottle and is generally by the dandruff products. Hopes this helps

Back when I was having problems with dandruff T-Gel worked better than anything else I tried. Doesn't smell too good but it works.

I have dandruff. :( I have been using Head and Shoulders forever, but I still have flakes, so I am thinking that I need to switch to another brand of Dandruff Shampoo. Does anyone have any recommendations? Is Selsen Blue a superior/stronger/more effective dandruff shampoo than Head & Shoulders? I noticed that it is significantly more expensive than H&S, so I was thinking that it might pack more of a punch. If Selsen isn't any good, what should I try? I am really hoping to eradicate these flakes. I would really appreciate some sound advice/guidance. Thanks.

Hi. I had (have) dandruff too and have tried all the aforementioned regular shampoos. The one I found that works best is a product made by a company called Mahdeen. Mahdeen makes a dandruff shampoo called Medidan that worked great for me. It is hard to find but like I say worked great for me. Use it about every second or third shampoo. Don't use it every day though as it is very strong.

Dandruff can be controlled by following a healthy hair care routine. You can also try some simple natural home remedies with shampoo. It is true that natural remedies take time to show results but they can treat the problem completely.Home remedies as coconut oil,Apple Cider Vinegar,Olive oil,Lemon Juice etc.The best one for Scalp treatment is apple cider vinegar is effective in getting rid of dandruff.If you want to go for fast results check out here mizani hair relaxer which will give you rid from dandruff.

Head and Shoulders Clinical Strength with selenium sulfide 1% worked for me. I had tried so many other shampoos, I was so happy to get rid of my dandruff. Used it for years a couple times a week for control.

A few years ago, I started buzzing my hair off with no guard every couple weeks, no need for dandruff shampoo anymore.

Best of luck,

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I've heard that using an anti-dandruff shampoo as a daily shampoo can actually CAUSE excessive dandruff and that anti-dandruff shampoo should only be used about once per week if dandruff problems are persistent. I can't remember where I heard/read this, though.

I've had a history with drying of the scalp and a lot of itching, occasionally dandruff also, in the past as my scalp is very sensitive. I try a lot of products from time to time (I'm fairly neurotic and I get obsessive over things from time to time, including going on huge buying sprees of hair care products before my obsession moves on to another type of product) and lately I've been using shampoo bars myself and have had no problems at all with my scalp getting irritated. Be nice to your scalp and I expect you'll see the dandruff go away.

As for T-Gel and T-Sal, my wife used these at the recommendation of a dermatologist for a while. They helped with her scalp, but DESTROYED her hair. She has nice hair, but these shampoos made it extremely dry, damaged, and frizzy. She has since stopped using them and found other products that are more natural and gentle and that work well for her. Again, in my opinion the simple solution is to find something that's less intensive and more gentle. There are people out there that have discontinued using shampoo and conditioner altogether and who only wash their hair with water and occasionally run some baking soda through it and spray it with vinegar every week or two just to make sure it's clean and their hair and scalps are extremely healthy. Sometimes less is more. That's why I often veer away from a product just from it's ingredient list if I see it has too many rows of ingredients before I even try it.

Last edited:
I have begun to massage a couple of drops of jojoba oil into my scalp in the morning when I wake up

This. I used to have issues with dandruff, but for the past 15 years I've been using jojoba oil to eliminate the frizz from my hair. A welcomed side-effect was no more dandruff!

This may sound a little backwoods but... I'm an animal science grad and have come to know that most things we spend far too much $ on or have trouble finding solutions on the drug store shelf have a more affordable or more affective option available at your local vet supply.
I had a 2 yr battle with dandruff so bad that it crept down into my eyebrows and by my ears (seemed to be started by an extremely cold camping trip) and I tried EVERY home remedy known to man. The problem I had was, for most of 2012/2013 ketoconozole was on the FDA no go list while they re-evaluated its role in liver issues, so most topical versions were impossible to find... Until I went to pet smart and found it in both shampoo AND conditioner form. My recommendation to those with a super case of dandruff is the conditioner, it will allow you to treat heavily for the first week then taper off to a once per week routine to keep it at bay.

The key is to wash well to remove dead skin and oils so a NORMAL balance can be established. I also eliminated the cheap dollar store gel and started regular use of a good hair tonic and gel (groom-n-clean, brylcream (if you can handle the added oil) or clubman gel). Maybe even change out your pillow!

I talked with my dr AFTER I had done this to solve my dandruff and he admitted I had done what he would have wanted me to do and was pleased I didn't jump straight to prescription strengthen ketoconozole.

EDIT: btw I buy the large bottle (about$15-$20) then pour off some into a small container since I don't use much each week. I add a little menthol that has been dissolved in glycerin and some essential oil (usually lavender and cedar but sometimes others) for added scent. In theory the essential oils have medicinal properties (both lavendarvand cedar are supposed to aid in fungal control) but if that were the case then I would not have needed to buy the ketoconozole in the first place.

Last edited:
What is working for me is using a shampoo bar (JR Liggett) and I installed a shower water filter. This removes all the chlorine and other chemicals that dry out your skin. Using less chemicals is better for your hair and skin...and body.

Last edited:
Top Bottom