What's new

Vintage Horn Brush 1900 - restore SBS

P

Pjotr

Thanks everyone for your kind comments, my thanks to all!

Stay tuned for more photos of the brush getting it's first spin in 100 years..... tomorrow....... :thumbup1:

I might have missed this info somewhere but what's the loft? Got an identical knot arriving shortly.

I might have missed this info somewhere but what's the loft? Got an identical knot arriving shortly.

The TGN Fan shaped badger knot is 20 mm x 60 mm loft minus the 13 mm knot hole depth and finished brush loft of 47 mm.....

this thread may have just given me enough push over the edge to go grab a drill press that i wanted anyway!!! great job... what a beautiful brush!!

Today’s the day, and I'm up early!

First, I cleaned the brush by working up a nice lather of shampoo with it in my bowl..... Then, I let the brush sit for 15 minutes, then washed out all the shampoo with warm water. Followed by a long cool water rinse as well.....

I then mixed up my lather for my shave using some nice Truefitt & Hill 1805 Shaving Cream for a nice rich, creamy lather. As you can see in the photo’s below the TGN - Finest Fan Shaped knot whipped up a great lather and I enjoyed a wonderful shave!

My “Shave Of The Day” photo for today..... See the SOTD forum as well...
proxy.php

Just think, this might have been the first time in 100 years since that brush has whipped up some lather.... I really enjoyed giving this brush new life!
proxy.php

Here she is Post Bloom after a great shaving experience.....
proxy.php

Thanks for tagging along, I hope you enjoyed the ride, Doug.

Last edited:
Congratulations on your taking a chance on the brush and a great job on the restore. It came out looking great and that is truely a classic brush. There is just something so great about bring back a vintage brush and shaving with a piece of history. Keep your eye out for more brushes to take a chance on.

I must say I am equally impressed with your tutorial.WELL DONE my good Sir, Just wondering if your planning on oiling it with anything....It's a nice feeling bringing a piece of history back to life that really deserved it.. Enjoy my Friend

I must say I am equally impressed with your tutorial.WELL DONE my good Sir, Just wondering if your planning on oiling it with anything....It's a nice feeling bringing a piece of history back to life that really deserved it.. Enjoy my Friend

I rub a little Olive Oil on my real horn brushes (now I have two of them) from time to time, that is enough to keep them in nice shape...... and Thank you for the kind comments as well.....

Last edited:

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Is it horn? Pretty amazing that they were able to machine it like that. Pretty nice! I would think they are very scarce.

this was before i signed up, so i just found this today. GREAT JOB!! looks awesome.
but my first thought was the same as kentos. the threading on the bottom. very cool either way!!

Doug, did you buy this on ebay? If you dont mind me asking, what did you pay. I cant find any old horn brushed on the bay right now

Top Bottom