What's new

Can't decide on next DE razor.

My faithful Tech has treated me well for some time now. I am looking to upgrade.

First off, I love vintage. So I am looking for a recommendation in that category.

Second, not sure that I am ready for an adjustable but i would love to have a nice FatBoy.

Third, can't be too aggressive. I have sensitive skin.

Aside from a FatBoy (which I'd gladly buy one from a member), what else would you fellas recommend?

My faithful Tech has treated me well for some time now. I am looking to upgrade.

First off, I love vintage. So I am looking for a recommendation in that category.

Second, not sure that I am ready for an adjustable but i would love to have a nice FatBoy.

Aside from a FatBoy (which I'd gladly buy one from a member), what else would you fellas recommend?

an old Bic
:001_rolle

Well, it is open comb March. Perhaps you could try something with an open comb?

I don't find the thick capped old type to be very aggressive at all, and they are plentiful + cheap.

I'd recommend a superspeed, either the flair tip or 40's style. The slim is a little more mild and user friendly than a fatboy, its also cheaper

A Gillette Red Tip SS.. It's marked as an aggressive razor but it's really not aggressive at all IMHO. Pick one up and if you find it not to your liking you will easily be able to sell it. :thumbup:

I have a dozen vintage razors and my favorite continues to be my 40s Superspeed. Even though it is the mildest of my razors, I still get as close a shave with it as I do with my more aggressive OCs.

Hi Big Jay,

Like others have said, get yourself a 1960's Stainless Superspeed. You can get one from the B/S/T here on B&B for less than 20 bucks.
Post a WTB ad and you'll have one in your hand in a few days.
This is a must have razor and usually what other razors are judged by.
I say a 1960's razor because they are more readily available than the 50's and 40's but any of them will give you a great shave.
I used my 1954 Superspeed this morning and still wonder why it wasn't my go to razor. I got a fantastic shave with zero irritation.
I usually use an EJ89L or a Gillette Goodwill open comb but I'll be stickin' with the 54SS for a while.

Side note....I started my shave with Tabac and since I just received my samples from Queen Charlotte, wanted to try one and did my last pass with the Briar soap. This stuff is really good!
I also have their Sandalwood and Vostok (sp??) Lite.

The Schick Krona is another vintage DE that has a reputation for being on the mild side. They are fairly plentiful on ebay and usually go cheap.

Merkur's are great (I have a Futur and I've been wanting a slant). If you look in the Buy Sell Trade forum there's a Fat Boy for sale.

Top Bottom