What's new

Please help with Dr Harris...

Cannot seem to find the sweet spot for bowl lathering. Initially I will load the moist brush work it in and when I apply it to my face the lather goes on really thin, you can easily see my skin. Does Dr Harris like a lot of water or just a few drops here and there to kick it in overdrive? Love the citrus scent of the Arlington, will say that much... Oh, where I live we have really hard water

I had the same problem regarding my lather/hard water. I gave up on soaps for a while because i just assumed they didn't work well with hard water.

Load the brush longer. I realized that my problem was the fact that i wasn't using enough product. Load the brush for 30-60 seconds and you'll be amazed at how much a difference it makes.

Cheers.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Cannot seem to find the sweet spot for bowl lathering. Initially I will load the moist brush work it in and when I apply it to my face the lather goes on really thin, you can easily see my skin. Does Dr Harris like a lot of water or just a few drops here and there to kick it in overdrive? Love the citrus scent of the Arlington, will say that much... Oh, where I live we have really hard water

how long are you loading the brush?

Load the brush longer. I realized that my problem was the fact that i wasn't using enough product. Load the brush for 30-60 seconds and you'll be amazed at how much a difference it makes.

+1. I've found this to be the case with almost every soap I own. They're difficult to lather until I give in and load the brush a whole lot more.

Grate it into a stick or just rub the puck on your face an use it as a stick.

I had the same issues loading the brush from the bowl and the soap got passed up on many a rotation. Once I put it into a stick the performance and ease of latherability went through the roof and now it is hard to put it down.

If your hell bent on keeping it in a bowl, then I am sure the issue is not enough soap. I also find that working the soap longer before I begin to add more water helps. Each addition of a few drops of water requires a little less agitation then the last.

PS: I have really hard water too.

how long are you loading the brush?
More importantly, how does the brush look when "loaded"? Time to load can vary quite a bit depending on water hardness. If you know what a loaded brush looks like you'll be better equipped regardless of the soap or the water.

I have extremly hard water too and never experience any issues with my 2 Harris soaps. I ALWAYS load my soaps for a MINIMUM OF 1 MINUTE and with a dryish brush, and that always produces enough lather for 3 passes and a touch up, generally with ample to spare. I do face lather though

More importantly, how does the brush look when "loaded"? Time to load can vary quite a bit depending on water hardness. If you know what a loaded brush looks like you'll be better equipped regardless of the soap or the water.

Not quite sure what a proper loaded brush is suppose to look like? I lather up fine using TOBS Cream. I guess with this Dr Harris soap I am having issues getting my technique down.

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!

good point- and there are stickies to videos that show what to look for.

Not quite sure what a proper loaded brush is suppose to look like? I lather up fine using TOBS Cream. I guess with this Dr Harris soap I am having issues getting my technique down.

I'd also say you should load your brush longer. I've got moderately hard water, and Harris is probably my easiest soap to lather. I soak my brush while I take a shower, cover the soap puck in water while I'm showering as well to soften it up, dump the water from my bowl into the sink and dump the water from the soap into my bowl. I then load for 30 seconds to a minute or so. After that, I get an absolutely huge amount of lather from the Harris.

I'd also say you should load your brush longer. I've got moderately hard water, and Harris is probably my easiest soap to lather. I soak my brush while I take a shower, cover the soap puck in water while I'm showering as well to soften it up, dump the water from my bowl into the sink and dump the water from the soap into my bowl. I then load for 30 seconds to a minute or so. After that, I get an absolutely huge amount of lather from the Harris.

Pretty much what I tried this morning with some variation from yours and I was able to create a lather good enough to provide protection. The next time I use the Harris I will stay the course and try your method, thanks.

Top Bottom