What's new

Darwin $406.00

Makes me regret a little that I got rid of the 2 I once owned for what I did. Then again I don't shave with a DE anymore and enjoy the King Pelican Straight I got in a trade for one so much more.

Don't worry, Joe. That Darwin is with a very appreciative owner. :thumbup1:

Like all the best trades: both parties got the best of it. :thumbup:

I didn't realize it was the cobalt steel model. This is the Deluxe, no?

Doesn't that make the price slightly more sensible?

You'll note that this one didn't have a box.

As it happens, the higher the prices for Darwins the happier I am. I picked up a NOS Darwin complete with a box a while back. It seemed to go under the radar as it were.

I also have a carton of NOS blades from that era. The wrapping is rather incredible.

What some of these things go for is absolutly CRAZY!!! One month one razor will go for $1 and the next week it will sell for $100!!!! Nuts!

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
You'll note that this one didn't have a box.

As it happens, the higher the prices for Darwins the happier I am. I picked up a NOS Darwin complete with a box a while back. It seemed to go under the radar as it were.

I also have a carton of NOS blades from that era. The wrapping is rather incredible.

Pictures or it didn't happen. :lol::lol::lol:

The Darwin, especially the deluxe is my favorite razor. It has a design that is truly unique in the world of razors. It gives an excellent shave. It is the only razor new or old that I know of made of cobalt steel. With moderate care a Darwin should last several life times with no concern for plating loss. When you consider that the Feather All Stainless razor cost from $179 to $315 and the Pils DE razor runs $239, I'm really not surprised that they are starting to go for high prices on Ebay.

David, Haiku, or anyone else that has had the opportunity to shave with a Darwin, what is your opinion of how it shaves?

I just got my Deluxe in the mail today! I knew it would finally come today, because I shaved last night. I'm getting ready to clean it right now.

As for the plating coming off... I thought the Darwins were solid. Aren't they?

Pictures or it didn't happen. :lol::lol::lol:

The Darwin, especially the deluxe is my favorite razor. It has a design that is truly unique in the world of razors. It gives an excellent shave. It is the only razor new or old that I know of made of cobalt steel. With moderate care a Darwin should last several life times with no concern for plating loss. When you consider that the Feather All Stainless razor cost from $179 to $315 and the Pils DE razor runs $239, I'm really not surprised that they are starting to go for high prices on Ebay.

David, Haiku, or anyone else that has had the opportunity to shave with a Darwin, what is your opinion of how it shaves?

Good point about the modern razors like the Feather and PILS. I recently had the opportunity to shave with a Feather. Fabulous razor.

I've never used any of my Darwin blades, but the razor loaded with a modern blade is aggressive. It shaves like a slant or a NEW. Perhaps a bit closer than either. It's a fabulous shaver and there's nothing quite like it in the hand given its looks. Without question it's a real favourite.

I'll have to post pics when I have some time, but trust me, it did happen.

From what I understand there are 2 different versions. Only being Carbon Steel the other all Stainless Steel. Correct me if Im wrong here, please.

The one I have has date codes dating back to 1921 I believe and I think it is the Stainless Steel version, so I dont know which is rarer.

Intrigued

I just got my Deluxe in the mail today! I knew it would finally come today, because I shaved last night. I'm getting ready to clean it right now.

As for the plating coming off... I thought the Darwins were solid. Aren't they?

Sorry for the confusion, The Darwin Deluxe is solid cobalt steel not plated. I also have a Standard Darwin and as near as I can tell that is solid stainless steel also though I don't know if it is cobalt steel.

I just finished a hot water and dish detergent soak, and this thing is already gleaming like Excalibur! I'm gonna hit it with Scrubbing Bubbles now and then a little Blue Magic. I'll post pics in a bit.

Intrigued

From what I understand there are 2 different versions. Only being Carbon Steel the other all Stainless Steel. Correct me if Im wrong here, please.

The one I have has date codes dating back to 1921 I believe and I think it is the Stainless Steel version, so I dont know which is rarer.

I don't know if you can date code them. The Darwin Deluxe reg. number on the head dates the British Pat. to 1927, but I don't know if they were put into production prior to the early 30's. The other number on the standard's also dates them to 1927. I think I found this infor. from an old thread courtesy of AsylumGuido.

I don't know if you can date code them. The Darwin Deluxe reg. number on the head dates the British Pat. to 1927, but I don't know if they were put into production prior to the early 30's. The other number on the standard's also dates them to 1927. I think I found this infor. from an old thread courtesy of AsylumGuido.

There is an old thread that has the date codes for the British patents. I can find it with a little searching, I know because I checked the date code when I first bought the razor.

Wow. Now I wish I would have bid more on an auction for one of these a while back. It only went for around $30, my max bid was in the $20's.

How the heck did these go up in value so quickly? I would like one but definitely not for that price.

Top Bottom