What's new

I had to do it... Enter: THE KNACK

I'll add some pics when I get home. I scored an old dusty Gillette Knack for a few bucks, didn't know quite what to make of it. It cleaned up nicely- there's no marks on the plastic(!) handle or anything, I've learned to love those scrubbing bubbles. Code is N1 (1968), would have thought it newer than that.

My initial impression is this: Two Gillette execs are sitting at a bar having the third martini of a two-martini lunch. One turns to the other, barely able to hold his head up, and says, "Ok, so you know that pallet of rejected Super-speed parts in the warehouse? You know... where we keep the Christmas decorations for the office party... I BET you those things will pop right on to like a chopstick, or a BIC disposable pen... or SOMETHING... heck, we'll get an award!" *falls off stool*

It's a Super-speed head on a plastic pen. I'm going to shave with it at some point, the funny part is that with a setup like that it probably shaves really well, although it's a little(err... very much) on the light side.

I have used both Slim Twist (British Version of Knack) and the American Knack. I get pretty good shaves from them. The shave like a SS but you got a longer handle. In fact my Knack is my gym razor. :thumbup1:

My favorite thing about the knack is the long, grippy handle. Yes, it's a bit head-heavy, but the shaves are great. Yunno what beats the knack, though, because it does everything the knack does, but even better? The lady gillette! Once you get past the color scheme, that is one excellent razor. Love that longer handle and better balance.
-- Chet

My favorite thing about the knack is the long, grippy handle. Yes, it's a bit head-heavy, but the shaves are great. Yunno what beats the knack, though, because it does everything the knack does, but even better? The lady gillette! Once you get past the color scheme, that is one excellent razor. Love that longer handle and better balance.
-- Chet

I'll second this. A heavier handle on the knack would solve this. My knack was my Dad's, so no altering it for me. I find holding the razor by the tip of the handle helps, since it won't balance in the handle.

Maybe I'll pick a cheap one up and replace the handle.

Phil

I'll second this. A heavier handle on the knack would solve this. My knack was my Dad's, so no altering it for me. I find holding the razor by the tip of the handle helps, since it won't balance in the handle.

Maybe I'll pick a cheap one up and replace the handle.

Phil

It been done.
proxy.php

If you have a Knack laying around with a servicable head, I'm pretty sure Bob of Bob's Razor Works will turn it into a TTO Bull Mastif of other custom beauty for you...

EDIT: OOPS, looks like Bob beat me to it!

I have a 68 Knack and occasionally use it with good results. I think that I'm a little biased against it, because it seems to mark Gillette's moving to using more plastic (and we all know where that led).

But it does give a good shave and has a kind of cool 70's look to it.

I have a 68 Knack and occasionally use it with good results. I think that I'm a little biased against it, because it seems to mark Gillette's moving to using more plastic (and we all know where that led).

But it does give a good shave and has a kind of cool 70's look to it.

Oh yes... without a doubt this is the razor that Gillette marketed while they were drinking the kool-aid and jumping the shark.

It's funny, I was born in '71, and when I think WAY-Y-Y-Y back, the only DE's I can remember in actual use were the one's like this... the knack, the womans version, I seem to remember a cheap BIC razor like this. I vaguely remember seeing a later model SS in someone's bathroom when I was a kid, I think that was the only all-metal DE I ever saw in actual use.

Along with the Schick Krona, The Knack remains (for now) a low cost way to use inexpensive DE blades in a long handle, TTO razor:thumbup1:

Top Bottom