What's new

Best way to lather from a tub

How do you go about lathering from a tub? I've read that swirling the brush around directly in the tub leads to too much water being left in the tub inadvertently and over time. Is this true? I like to face lather but am not sure how to go about it if i'm using shaving cream from a tub.

With a wet face, I scoop a bit of cream from the tub with my fingers and apply to each cheek. Then after giving the brush a very good squeeze, I start building lather, dipping the tips of the brush in the water as needed.

I do it very much as I do from a soap. The cream doesn't need the few drops of water I put on a puck before loading my brush but that is really the only change. The brush will load up quicker than soap too so look for that.

You guys don't mean building the lather IN the tub right? My GFT Rose still has enough on the lid so I just swipe the brush on the lid and bring it to a bowl where I build the lather.

You guys don't mean building the lather IN the tub right? My GFT Rose still has enough on the lid so I just swipe the brush on the lid and bring it to a bowl where I build the lather.

nope, separate bowls for soap and making lather...

here's what i do when i'm using tubbed soaps. i take my wet brush, swirl it in the soap container or mug (whatever it's stored in), for about 10-15sec (just enough time to get it on the brush end). then i bowl lather it in a SEPARATE bowl for another 30-60sec, until it gets nice and built up.

if i face lather, i go about it the same way, but instead of transferring the soapy brush to my lather bowl, i just swirl it on my face until i'm ready to shave.

Exactly, you're going to whip up the lather on your face, not in a bowl. Your are just dipping the brush in the cream, instead of putting it on your face with your finger. I treat hard creams, like Acca Kappa 1869, as if they were soaps and lather them in the tub. Do what is best for you. There is no right, or wrong, unless you are not getting a lather.

But does dipping the brush in the cream dilute the tub of cream over time?

Exactly, you're going to whip up the lather on your face, not in a bowl. Your are just dipping the brush in the cream, instead of putting it on your face with your finger. I treat hard creams, like Acca Kappa 1869, as if they were soaps and lather them in the tub. Do what is best for you. There is no right, or wrong, unless you are not getting a lather.

Not at all. Your brush shouldn't have water streaming out of it, whatever water it holds after a flick. I do soak my brushes before my shave, give 'em a flick into the sink and load up my brush from either soap or cream.

You probably shouldn't have water dripping from your brush when you go to swirl the brush in the cream. Shake the brush a couple of times to remove excess water, swirl and then add water later if needed.

With this approach, you won't be diluting the tub of cream

Not at all. Your brush shouldn't have water streaming out of it, whatever water it holds after a flick. I do soak my brushes before my shave, give 'em a flick into the sink and load up my brush from either soap or cream.

What he said :thumbup1:

I use the 'dip and twist' method. Usually gets me enough lather for 3+ pass shave. Some creams are firmer than others and require a more firm dip but that comes with learning your creams and what you need for your shave.

I too always thought you shouldn't dip the brush in the tub. This should lead to better lather since I always get too little when I am just trying to judge how much I have scooped out. Thanks for the tips.

Same here.

Maybe we should ask the OP what kind of soap/cream in the "tub" he's talking about. I would imagine that the response would be very different for "Proraso" than it would be for "Trumper" or "TOBS".

Personally, for Proraso in the tub I swirl my brush as though I were loading from a soap puck. For TOBS, I simply dip the tips of the brush into the cream and give a little twist with a fairly dry brush.

Does OP mean original poster? I mean a tub of cream like TOBS which is a soft cream right?

Maybe we should ask the OP what kind of soap/cream in the "tub" he's talking about. I would imagine that the response would be very different for "Proraso" than it would be for "Trumper" or "TOBS".

Personally, for Proraso in the tub I swirl my brush as though I were loading from a soap puck. For TOBS, I simply dip the tips of the brush into the cream and give a little twist with a fairly dry brush.

I use the 'dip and twist' method. Usually gets me enough lather for 3+ pass shave. Some creams are firmer than others and require a more firm dip but that comes with learning your creams and what you need for your shave.

Exactly what I do and then proceed to face lather.

Top Bottom