What's new

Heavier razor?

Relatively new DE shaver here...

I have a very heavy beard. I am currently using a Merkur long handle which is working well for the most part (under the neck has been a little rough).

I was curious as to whether getting a razor that had more weight to it would make it easier for a tough beard.

Anyone have any thoughts/experiences?

I wouldn't say weight is the factor, but more that you need to find the right razor/blade combo.

What blade are you using now?

I have been working through my sampler pack. Have tried Merkur, Personna, Astra, Feather, and 7 o'clock yellows.

So far the 7 o'clock yellows are my favorite.

While on the subject, any blades you would recommend that maybe aren't usually included in a sampler pack?

The barbershop Merkurs are pretty heavy razors. The only thing I've tried that's heavier is a Bull Mastiff handle.

I also started out with a Merkur 23c. I learned fast that it was way too light for my big hands and thick beard on the neck. So within 2 weeks of DE shaving I then ordered a Merkur 38c and a large blade sample pack.. The 23c is pretty much retired now... Now Astra SP and Shark SC are my best blades..

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Dr. Kananga:
The Mekur 12C (I have the 23C and the 38C [barber pole]), is a heavy, open (tooth comb), long handle razor and is considered to be fairly mild and is more suited for heavier growth and beard maintenance.

"This has the same handle as the 38C above, but an open comb design for the head, which really springs stubborn hairs away from skin, especially upon the neck. Anyone with neck hairs seeming to grow parallel to skin is well served to give open comb style razors a go. The 12C has identical dimensions to 38C above, but weighs a bit less at 3.7 ounces (106g). The open comb design requiress a bit more caution than closed comb razors; go slowly, and you'll be fine". :thumbup:

Merkur 12C (Barber Pole..2 piece unit...$47 w/ free shipping from Superior Shave @ http://www.thesuperiorshave.com/Merkur_Razors.html)

Merkur 12C Reveiw and Comments

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?ltr=M&t=88575

Mild & Agressive Razors - Shave Wiki

http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/Double-Edged_Safety_Razors_Ranked_by_Aggressiveness

Christopher
proxy.php

Attached Image - Merkur 12C

The barbershop Merkurs are pretty heavy razors. The only thing I've tried that's heavier is a Bull Mastiff handle.

+1

Bob's Razor Works Bull Mastiff Handle is quite heavy. I don't recall the exact weight, but I believe it to be in excess of 400 grams.

HIH,
Dave

I have a heavy beard, and I went with a Merkur Sledgehammer Slant after learning to wetshave using a Gillette Red Tip. The extra heft is nice, it lets the razor do the work. I would heartily endorse this razor, but I would get to know your shaving angles using a more forgiving blade before jumping into the sledge.

I think it has been touched on a little bit already, but I do not think that a heavier razor is going to buy you much. In my experience, with a heavier tool my hands behave a little differently as I'm saving -- it makes me use a lighter touch, but not necessarily any more pressure, on the stroke.

If you're concerned with really mowing down the tough whiskers, I suggest trying out an open-comb. Open-com news, for example, look pretty menacing but they're surprisingly gentle, and each whisker is going to meet the blade without anything getting in the way.

The old type open-comb is a real whisker-whacker, too, and it does take some time to get used to the angle and pressure (very little!) that works best. I think my best, easiest open-comb shaves have come from the bulldog -- an old-type head on a thicker & heavier handle. It took some time (and a little blood) to get the hang of it, but on those rare occasions when I have 4-5 days growth to cut through, nothing beats it.

Kingfisher's blade brand list looks pretty good to me, btw.

Hope it helps,
-- Chet

+1

Bob's Razor Works Bull Mastiff Handle is quite heavy. I don't recall the exact weight, but I believe it to be in excess of 400 grams.

HIH,
Dave

I'm guessing they didn't teach the metric system at your school.:lol:
400 grams that's over 14 ounces, not even close.
The Bull Mastiff handle weighs 78 grams and the XXL weighs in at 99 grams.
Add a NEW head at around 30 grams and you have a substantial razor.

Sampsonite....I was WAY off. (Great line from Dumb and Dumber...as that is how I now feel. Dumb and DUMBER.)

Shoulda just kept my mouth shut on that one.

I am in agreement with other suggestions. try an open comb, I would not suggest getting a more aggressive razor yet since you are just starting, but the actual weight does not do a whole lot for the actual cut when you are shaving, more for feel in between your fingers.

Top Bottom