What's new

Boar brush as second brush

Ive been wet shaving for 9 months or so, and all Ive used so far is an Omega Stripey Pure badger brush. It was roughly $30 from amazon. Ive been happy with it so far, but lately Ive been curious about how a boar brush compares. I use only creams, and I shave every third day, so I have a fair bit of growth when I do shave. What advantages or disadvantages does a boar brush have when compared to a badger brush. Or would a boar brush be a bad choice for me?

Good boar is wonderful. Go with an Omega or a Semogue. They start stiffer, and soften. The ends split causing the brush to feel softer over time, bit this takes 30 or so shaves. Because of the low cost of quality boar brushes you can get a nice brush for the less money as you spent on the badger.

Phil

I used to think that boars were inferior to badger. I was wrong. I have an Omega boar that lathers fantastically, both soap and creams. It's soft and luxurious and feels great on the face. You might make a boar your first brush. You never know.

Put it this way. I thought my Rooney silvertip was about the best a brush could get, but took a long time drying out. So I got a Semogue boar as 'back up'. I now have 4 more, and the Rooney is so neglected, it's going up for sale.

Advantages of a boar are one, cost, obviously. There are no real disadvantages, the choice is mostly about preference. They work well and make lather that is just as good as badger.

A boar will have far more backbone, so you can really work the brush and the lather. They work well with either soap or cream (some badger can be a little soft and need more work).

When considering a brush for under $50, I think boars are the best choice.

When considering a brush for under $50, I think boars are the best choice.

DA. Think hard before you buy a boar as second/back up. There is the danger it might end up as your first and you feel forced to join the 'Boar & Blade' group. Making you another paria here and situating yourself not just in a niche, but in a niche of a niche!

What exactly is backbone? Will a boar brush work as well as a badger in creams?

"Backbone" is jargon for how stiff a brush is. For instance, boar brushes have a lot of "backbone" because they are made of stiff bristles. With badger brushes, the "Two-Band" variety of badger hair would create a brush that has a lot of "backbone." Conversely, long-lofted "Three-Band" "Slivertip" badger hair brushes would be considered "floppy" without having a lot of "backbone."

I use a Semogue Owner's Club boar brush by bowl lathering shaving creams. It works fantastically. Personally, I think I am more of a boar brush guy. They have nice "backbone" for use with hard soaps (any brush will work with soaps and creams though). Also, they work well with creams. They feel great on the face as they are used also. The price is reasonable as well.

Ok, I would definately like to try a quality boar brush. It seems Semogue is a very popular name, and it also appears they make several brushes. Any recommendations for my first boar brush for someone who bowl lathers creams?

DA. Think hard before you buy a boar as second/back up. There is the danger it might end up as your first and you feel forced to join the 'Boar & Blade' group. Making you another paria here and situating yourself not just in a niche, but in a niche of a niche!

Too true. Too true. :w00t:

I bought the Vulfix 404 'Grosvenor' boar/badger blend "as my 2nd brush" ( :glare: ) and within a week I had four more boars. :001_rolle

I think I have my mind set on the 1305. My only concern is the wooden handle. With my badger brush, I soak the whole thing in a mug of water. Would this be a bad idea for the wooden handle of the 1305?

I think I have my mind set on the 1305. My only concern is the wooden handle. With my badger brush, I soak the whole thing in a mug of water. Would this be a bad idea for the wooden handle of the 1305?
Yes, its a bad idea to soak a wooden handle.

I just stand the brush up in a tumbler glass and put in enough water to cover the bristles about halfway.

Order placed for a 1305. It was between this one and the 830, but Im not a big fan of the clear acrylic handle of the 830, and I love the painted wood of the 1305. I'll just have to make sure to not soak it, which shouldnt be a problem. Thanks everybody for the help.

Order placed for a 1305. It was between this one and the 830, but Im not a big fan of the clear acrylic handle of the 830, and I love the painted wood of the 1305. I'll just have to make sure to not soak it, which shouldnt be a problem. Thanks everybody for the help.

Excellent choice! I doubt you will be disappointed! Give the brush some time to break in and it will reward you nicely.

Last edited:
Top Bottom