What's new

What is shea butter for?

I ran across a reference to this when looking for AS balms. It looks like a shave cream but I'm not sure.

I ran across a reference to this when looking for AS balms. It looks like a shave cream but I'm not sure.

Shea butter comes from the shea tree nuts. It's an oil. It is used as a lotion and helps moisturize your skin.

Last edited:
Shea butter is a natural moisturizer and a very good one. In its raw state, it is a sticky butter, but once rubbed into the skin imparts a wonderful feel. Shea butter also contains natural latex so anyone who has latex allergies may want to test a little on the inner arm, before using. I use unrefined shea butter, imported from Africa, in many of my products and love it. It is one of the ingredients I would never want to run out of.

Thanks for the info.
I guess this could work as an AS balm then?

Definitely could work as an aftershave balm .... if you're looking for after shaves with Shea butter in it; try something like Pre de Provence or L'Occitane Cade (bit pricey) after shaves ... they both have shea butter in their formula

Before ordering a large amount of it, I would try it first. Shea butter has a distinct smell to it that you may not like.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
What is shea butter for?

It's used exclusively on shea toast.

Be advised that shea butter contains natural latex, so if you have an allergy it might not be a good thing.

What is shea butter for?

It's used exclusively on shea toast.

Be advised that shea butter contains natural latex, so if you have an allergy it might not be a good thing.

Shea toast sounds like some of that ooh la la special French cuisine!
Well I will just stick to those food strips from the hog that we rant on about in the special area of this site (CH)!

Shea butter is a natural moisturizer and a very good one. In its raw state, it is a sticky butter, but once rubbed into the skin imparts a wonderful feel. Shea butter also contains natural latex so anyone who has latex allergies may want to test a little on the inner arm, before using. I use unrefined shea butter, imported from Africa, in many of my products and love it. It is one of the ingredients I would never want to run out of.

My Wife has a tub of unrefined shea butter, imported from Africa and I've tried using it for dry skin and moisturizing (I always get dry skin in the winter) but it's so thick and waxy it's hard to work with. I'm interested in any tips, maybe adding something to the Shea Butter to make it easier to use.

umm..if its an oil to help moisturize..would shaving with a straight razor take off the moisturizing effects?..I read in a bunch of other sites that a straight razor removes the very thin layer of "dead" skin..does this make sense?

L'Occitane sells a number of products with shea butter, including a little tin of pure shea butter which you can see on their website here. I've tried it, but I prefer products that have shea butter in them rather than just pure shea butter.

I use unrefined shea butter after every shave, I used to have some irritation from shaving every day using multiple passes.
I tried several creams but those did not help much, than I started using unrefined shea butter and I never had any irritation from that point even with multiple passes, my skin is softer now and I look younger. Even after a rough shave it takes away all irritation. After shaving I first use an alcohol based splash followed by a little sheabutter, feels great.
My wife uses it to soften her feet, rub on her legs and her dry scalp.
The trick with sheabutter is you have to rub it in your warm hands before applying so it will melt and turn from a hard butter into a thick oily substance that you can rub on. A small amount will go a long way. I get my sheabutter in an African grocery store here in town.

Some of the possible benefits of unrefined shea butter include:

Evens skin tone
Absorbs quickly without leaving greasy residue like mineral oil based products
Penetrates deep into the epidermal layer of your skin to help restore elasticity to maturing skin and prevent the cellular breakdown that leads to dry, cracking skin, and stretch marks
Stimulates cellular activity, fights the effects of aging and repairs rough, damaged skin
Returns natural luster to skin and hair
Does not clog pores
Revitalizes, softens and maintains skin moisture
Aids in the healing of wounds and may improve scars due to its anti-inflammatory properties
Used to heal eczema, burns, rashes, severely dry skin, and to lessen the irritation of psoriasis
Moisturizes after shaving to prevent irritation
Has natural sun blocking powers and may protect skin from sun damage and environmental elements
Nourishes the hair shaft
Moisturizes dry, dull over-processed and heat-treated hair resulting in improved brilliance and manageability
Helps prevent weak hair from breaking, fading, or thinning out and may promote hair growth

Just saw your web site. Have you been selling shaving soaps or are you just starting up now?

Top Bottom