What's new

Screwing in a blade.

I'm all set to begin my first shave with a DE razor, (Merkur classic) but I have a question about loading the blade. Should the blade be slightly rounded when I screw it in, or should it be straight? Basically I'm asking if I should screw it in all the way or not.

It should be rounded, tighten the razor up quite tightly otherwise the head can rotate when you're shaving with it.:eek:

Screw the head down firmly. The razor will bend over the platform, as it's supposed to, and become rigid. You should apply as much pressure as, say, screwing the lid shut on a jar of mustard.

Im glad that someone posted this. I noticed this when I was tightening mine. At first I was a little nerveous and thought I had done something wrong. Good to see that this is the way it is supposed to be.

Has anyone had problems applying too much pressure that they break/crack their razor? :confused: I keep hearing about crack handles on old vintage razors, but I was just curious on new Merkurs. I am about to load my brand new Merkur HD tomorrow. I don't think that I am strong enough to break it, but wanted to find out from the experts. I mean you tighten it once or twice a week, eventually something is gotta give.

Previously, I was using a 1940s TTO, but this is my new toy so I want to take care of it and make it last.

Never had a problem. As I said, you use as much pressure as you would to tighten the lid of a jar---a lid that you will want to open again sometime, so not TOO much pressure. But enough to get a good seal so you don't worry about, for example, turning the jar upside down.

Are handle cracks more common on adjustables (like the Progress) ?? :confused:

I would say no, since a Progress has a spring loaded blade platform they are not tighten down firmly like an HD or a Gillette 3 piece. Though some folks have over tightened their Progresses trying to get them to Zero have pulled the threaded stud loose from the cap. The problem with the hollow handles cracking where they join the top and bottom pieces isn't fully understood. They might have started when the handle was first assembled or they could be caused by water getting inside the handle or just old age, these weren't expensive items meant to last as long as they have.
Bob.

Cracked handles seem to be more common among the older thin round handle Gillette's. And I don't really know that it has much to do with tightening them down too much, although it is a possibility.
As a young man, I used various Gillette adjustables and never had a problem. In fact, I never gave over tightening a thought.
While I have heard of a merkur handle cracking, I really believe it to be a manufacturing defect, and the photo I saw looked nothing like the old Gillette handle cracks that ran all the way up and down the handle.

Top Bottom