What's new

Tell Me About TGN Best Badger Knots

i have a EJ BBB and a Simpson Best. the EJ is stiff and prickly and the Simpson is nice and soft. what does the TGN Best Badger feel like??

i have a EJ BBB and a Simpson Best. the EJ is stiff and prickly and the Simpson is nice and soft. what does the TGN Best Badger feel like??

I have a C&E BBB (EJ made), and it is not stiff and prickly. Are you sure yours isn't a pure badger? My C&E BBB is softish and breaches when face lathering; okay with soaps but better with creams. I have a Simpson Colonel in best. It is firm and velvety with good scrub. I tried a TGN finest in a restored brush, thanks to a member here, and would say that it mostly felt more like the Simpson. Hope that helps.

Vintage bone restored in TGN 16mm Best Badger...

proxy.php

Prickly ( compared with my other TGN Silvertip/Finest knots ) :blushing:

Last edited:
The TGN Best is closer to Pure in feel than to Silvertip. It is pretty scritchy, not at all like Simpsons Best grade. I have a 20mm TGN Best set at 41mm, and I only use it when I'm in the mood for an invigorating, exfoliating scrub - like after a few days without shaving.

I have tried almost all the TGN knots. The best value are the finest extra stuffed bulbs or finest fans and also the Super Silvertip (not to be confused with the super knot).

I have a C&E BBB (EJ made), and it is not stiff and prickly. Are you sure yours isn't a pure badger? My C&E BBB is softish and breaches when face lathering; okay with soaps but better with creams. I have a Simpson Colonel in best. It is firm and velvety with good scrub. I tried a TGN finest in a restored brush, thanks to a member here, and would say that it mostly felt more like the Simpson. Hope that helps.

mine the small EJ bbb (19mm knot x 44mm loft)..not sure what size yours is but the medium which is what most buy has a longer loft..might make it a little more soft i dont know since ive never felt one.

Last edited:
The TGN Best is closer to Pure in feel than to Silvertip. It is pretty scritchy, not at all like Simpsons Best grade. I have a 20mm TGN Best set at 41mm, and I only use it when I'm in the mood for an invigorating, exfoliating scrub - like after a few days without shaving.

i think this is the answer i was looking for ..or something close to it. so when i re-knot it ill have an idea of what i want. prb try the Finest since i have never owned a brush with that grade of hair.

Last edited:
i think this is the answer i was looking for ..or something close to it. so when i re-knot it ill have an idea of what i want. prb try the Finest since i have never owned a brush with that grade of hair.

The Finest is the best value from TGN in my opinion. If I still owned a TGN knot I would have kept the finest.

I have heard that the tgn's finest is a very good knot for the noney

Right, but if he hasn't purchased a knot yet he can look at more than "best".

Absolutely, IMO, the Finest extra stuffed are definitely the way to go. The Super Silvertip I have is also nice, but I set it at a really low loft (22/41). I find the Grade A a bit too floppy for my tastes.

Top Bottom