What's new

Witch Hazel

Anyone ever have any bad experiences with Witch Hazel (breakouts, rashes etc)? I always read great reviews on this stuff and just wondered if anyone has anything negative to say.

My shave isnt complete without it before I put on my aftershave balm. I have sensitive skin and never had a problem, I use Thayer's.

Love the stuff, been using it since I was knee high to a grasshopper. It's mild and works. The bottle says it's Dickensons, but I refilled it with CVS brand, if there's a difference I don't notice it. Most scents are too powerful for my nose and just turn me off after a time. WH lasts just long enough.

Sooths insect bites too. Might be good with vodka too, dunno. :laugh:

I think my next scent will be Ogalala Bay Rum, since it's a modified WH.

Only good experiences here. You just have to make a choice between regular witch hazel with 14% alcohol or Thayers without alcohol. I use the Dickinson's witch hazel (with alcohol) whenever I wash my face in addition to after shaving. I also use it for cuts, scrapes, itching, etc.

Only good experiences here. You just have to make a choice between regular witch hazel with 14% alcohol or Thayers without alcohol. I use the Dickinson's witch hazel (with alcohol) whenever I wash my face in addition to after shaving. I also use it for cuts, scrapes, itching, etc.
Same here ... I use Thayers WH every time I wash my face, whether I'm shaving or not. I put it on before lathering, too, and let it soak in while I prep the lather. Then, I just lather on top of it without rinsing the WH off.

And its great for cuts, too ... I once had a nasty gash on my thumb when I picked up a razor at the wrong end. I rinsed the wound in WH, and soaked the bandage with it every time I changed it. The wound healed up and scarred over in just a few days, as opposed to the six weeks it took to heal when I did the same thing without treating it with WH.

Witch Hazel is a great old fashioned balm for healing and soothing the skin. I'm finishing off this last bit of Dickinson's and going back to the Thayer's which also contains aloe. Aloe is another natural skin healer. The best of both worlds I guess.

I don't find that witch hazel helps my face. Even Thayers. I have had senstivity and flare ups with witch hazel but not every time I use it. I keep Thayer's Rose because I like the smell though. For me, you can't beat Alum for an astringent and anti-bacterial.

I've been using witch hazel for years, and I've never had a problem with it. I apply it after I rinse my face with first hot and then cold water, and go over the shaved area with the alum block. The witch hazel has a nice cooling effect, and after its dried I apply any AS or balm. :001_rolle

yeah it doesn't smell good to me, I reccomend an unscented version, however it's dirt cheap at wally world for the smelly kind and the smell doesnt last

I bought a bottle of Dickinson's today and man, you guys werent kidding about the smell. Very unpleasant. I was planing on using it after showers/shaving, but now I am not so sure. Im thinking about putting this stuff on BEFORE I shower/shave, then just go about my usual routine. Is this pointless?

I For me, you can't beat Alum for an astringent and anti-bacterial.

+1, This is what I've been doing for the past few months, and I think it's serving me better (not to detract too much from the OP's question). I've used Thayer's and the distilled witch hazel brands like T.N. Dickinson's, both without any problems

I just got a bottle of humphreys witch hazel and I must say it's very nice. I use Thayers also but humphreys seems to leave my skin softer.

I just started recently using WH after seeing how many people used/recommended it. I must say that I'm really pleased with it. The scent is very mild and does not last for long. While I don't really get razor burn, the WH works really well on my skin. I put it on before my aftershave and my skin feels great. I've also noticed it helps keep down the small bits of acne :).

Definitely worth a try. It's inexpensive and can be found locally almost anywhere !

I bought a bottle of Dickinson's today and man, you guys werent kidding about the smell. Very unpleasant. I was planing on using it after showers/shaving, but now I am not so sure. Im thinking about putting this stuff on BEFORE I shower/shave, then just go about my usual routine. Is this pointless?
Every time I see posts like this I think: It has a smell? I've used Dickinsons so long I can't even smell it any more. Ignore the smell at first, you'll get used to it. It doesn't last but a few seconds and it will help with any irritation or nicks. I use it after shaves, after showers and after I wash up before bed.

Every time I see posts like this I think: It has a smell? I've used Dickinsons so long I can't even smell it any more. Ignore the smell at first, you'll get used to it. It doesn't last but a few seconds and it will help with any irritation or nicks. I use it after shaves, after showers and after I wash up before bed.

I'm with you. Yeah, there's a hint of a scent to it, but it's gone in a heartbeat. It's certainly light enough that it would disappear into whatever AS you use. I like it a lot. Works great on every sort of skin irritation, too.

Top Bottom