What's new

A concern on contibutable giving......

To the best of my recollection, there may be a church pastor or two among our members. Or some who attend church or a regular basis. I need some advice on how to handle a situation.

A little background first. My church is a nondenominational, contemporary church. We have roughly 250 members with an average age in the mid-30's. We have a lot of college students also. I started going to our church in October of 2002. During that time, my first wife and I went through a divorce, I remarried, had a son, and lost a daughter. I met my 2nd wife at our church. We are both very active in the church and are currently leaders of a small family home group. My wife sang on the worship team, and prior to my divorce, I was the head usher/deacon. My first wife was not active at all in church but that is another story for another time. We seem to be well liked in our church and have developed some very good friendships.

Our church supports a couple of missionaries in Guatemala. We do community outreach programs where we hand out free water during 4th of July parades, give out free stamps on tax day, donate shoes and backpacks with supplies to a needy school in the area. As with everything else, the economy has effected the church. Staff salaries have been cut and the savings account has started to dwindle. My wife and i believe in supporting our church not only finacially, but also with our service.

Here comes the problem. We are faithful tithers. In 2009, we had two consecutive checks that we had turned in to the offering plate come up missing. In other words, the checks never cleared our bank. After three weeks, we notified the church, and they told us they didn't have record of them being turned in. We waited sixty days and rewrote the checks. The second time they cleared. In November and December of 2010, we had a total of five checks that we turned in not clear our bank. Again, the church had no record of them being turned in or received. I talked to the pastor personally about it and he assured me that he would discuss the handling of the money with the usher team. The beginning of January, another check. I called the pastor again and he assured me it would be addressed. He also advised me to give our tithe envelope directly to his wife after church. She does the book keeping. The next weekend I handed her our tithe envelope. Two weeks later and the check had not cleared. Two weeks ago, my wife and I decided to put our checks in the offering plate and NOT put our names on the envelope. I also included a note to the pastors wife telling here that the check that I had handed her did not clear our bank. She emailed me on Monday saying that she remembered me handing her the envelope but does not recall what she did with it. Both she and the pastor tells us that we are the only one this happens to, and that they sincerely apologize. They think someone is stealing from the offering basket and when they get an envelope with cash, they keep it, andwhen they get an envelope with a check, they throw it away. But it is happening to no one else. And if it is random, why do our envelopes always get picked. I think ours are being targeted. But not by someone in the general congregation. So what happened to the envelope that we turned in without our name and with the note? It's obvious that she received it because she replied to my note. But here is the nut kicker of the whole deal; that envelope had two checks in it. One cleared last week, and the other is pending.....

Now I feel creepy about giving to my own church. She tells me that my wife and I shouldn't be concerned what happens to the money once we give it, that God knows. So I tell her that we will just start dropping CASH in the offering plate. She says, "no, go ahead and out cash in an envelope with your name on it, and you won't have to worry about your checking account being out of balance". Well, that clearly contradicts what she says about thinking someone is stealing from the offering basket.

Again, I feel creepy about the whole deal. I want to support my church, but now I feel as if someone thinks my ,money is not good enough for the church and they are discarding my checks. Well, some of them. So all the money is still in my account, I dont want to get charged the fee to cancel them, and the church doesn't get to utilize the money. And they need it. It doesn't seem fair. With my red hair and Germanic heritage, I have a hot temper. I am to the point of calling my pastor and telling him that the crap has got to stop. Or asking him if someone is subtley telling us to leave the church. For what reason is beyond me. Am I prepared to leave behind a church that I have become a part of for 9 years? A place where I want my son and wife to be? I just don't know. i am so frustrated over the whole deal. Maybe I am making too big a deal over it. Maybe I should just quit worrying about it. It just makes me sick to hear him say at a leader's meeting that the churches finances are doing very bad, and to know that they are mishandling money that I have given.

I'd like sincere advice on this. Is there a member called Pastor who is an actual pastor? I just don't recall.

Friggin' Sleepless in Texas,

DL

If there is a message in this it is "get more involved in your churches governance." Seriously, I would have thought registered charities would have to withstand pretty close scruitineering for handling charitable contributions?

Can you donate to a church by direct electronic transfer (direct deposit)? At least you would know what account your money is ending up in.

Any cheque that doesn't clear promptly, you should cancel: I'd hate for someone to finally deposit half a dozen missing cheques ("how did these end up here?" kind of moment) and see you left in the lurch.

"Now I feel creepy about giving to my own church. She tells me that my wife and I shouldn't be concerned what happens to the money once we give it, that God knows"

The pastor's wife is the bookkeeper for church. Well, I have a problem with that from the beginning if I understand you correctly.

Now to the quote above (and speaking for myself): that would be the last time she ever told me anything because that would be the last time I sat foot in that church. Bye Bye.

Also, I would not assume that these checks have been thrown away. Someone has your account information. That's worth pondering.

I'll try to end on a positive note: there are MANY other churches out there who will be good stewards of the money you give them and you might want to look for such a church.

Personally, I would peacefully walk away from this church and I would change my bank account and confirm with the bank that these checks will not be allowed to clear.

I'll try to end on a positive note: there are MANY other churches out there who will be good stewards of the money you give them and you might want to look for such a church.

Personally, I would peacefully walk away from this church and I would change my bank account and confirm with the bank that these checks will not be allowed to clear.

I appreciate that. It's hard for me to believe that this is happening. A member and leader for nine years. I know these people. And the fact that she can't explain it, and that it happened again after I addressed it. I can understand losing a check. But losing six checks in 60 days is unacceptable. I am really starting to believe for whatever reason, they want me to leave the church. And for the life of me, I don't know why. They have my wife and I descipling to other families. This last instance, two checks in one envelope. One check clears, the other doesn't. It does not make any sense.

DL

It seems to me that you have been very patient and that you have taken every reasonable step to resolve the matter.

I don't think the pastor's wife should be the bookkeeper to begin with. But whoever the bookkeeper is they should be able to give you a clear, logical answer to your concerns. It's not like this has just happened one time.

I would try my best not to take it personally. I would just protect myself by changing the bank account.

It may be hard to see this now, but I would expect that you would make very good friends in whatever new church you might find.

Again, this is solely my opinion, and I'll leave it at that.

If someone wants you to leave the church, this is a strange way to go about it ... even if they don't want you, I can't imagine why they would turn down your money. Besides, if they wanted you out, you would know it. There would be other, more direct indications.

Do all of the checks you write to other places clear your account? If not, then the problem is at your bank.

I would go with the pilfering theory. This is the only one that makes sense.

If someone wants you to leave the church, this is a strange way to go about it ... even if they don't want you, I can't imagine why they would turn down your money. Besides, if they wanted you out, you would know it. There would be other, more direct indications.

Do all of the checks you write to other places clear your account? If not, then the problem is at your bank.

I would go with the pilfering theory. This is the only one that makes sense.

All of our checks clear. Except the ones to our church. Granted, most do clear. But again, six in sixty days is a hard pill to swallow. They don't have a record of even receiving the checks. In other words, our checks are not making it to the bookkeeper to deposit. The ushers take the offering plates and seperate the envelopes and loose cash and checks. The loose cash and checks are put together in one envelope, then the tithe envelopes and cash envelope goes into a money bag and is handed to the pastor's wife after church. I just don't buy into the story that they think someone is stealing from the offering plate. If someone did, it would be totally random. According to the church, ours are the only checks that there seems to be a problem with. So no one else is calling them and saying that they have X dollar amount that has not cleared their bank. I really think someone is getting our checks and just tossing them in the trash either before they get to the pastor's wife, or maybe she is just that careless. Even the one I handed her, she has no recollection of what she did with it.

DL

I wish a pastor or elder or chuch administrator here would give their opinion on the idea of the Pator's wife being the bookkeeper to begin with.

This church has been in operation at least 9 years I assume. It's not a new church.

Even if you had NEVER had a problem with your checks, I question a church where the pastor's wife is the bookkeeper. I don't think that is standard practice. A member of the church would naturally feel uncomfortable confronting the pastor's wife (when I say confronting, I mean in a reasonable way). I just don't think it's good practice period.

I wish a pastor or elder or chuch administrator here would give their opinion on the idea of the Pator's wife being the bookkeeper to begin with.

This church has been in operation at least 9 years I assume. It's not a new church.

Even if you had NEVER had a problem with your checks, I question a church where the pastor's wife is the bookkeeper. I don't think that is standard practice. A member of the church would naturally feel uncomfortable confronting the pastor's wife (when I say confronting, I mean in a reasonable way). I just don't think it's good practice period.

The church is about 15 years old. I have been a member for nine. To be honest, this is the only church that I have ever been a member of. I'm not a 100% sure how this all works, but unlike say the catholic church, our church is not under authority of a higher governorship. So basically, it ends at our pastor.

I do think we have an active member or two who are pastors. I'd like to read what they have to say. I may end up bumpng this thread for several days.

DL

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
Im a bit confused by the whole ordeal. Why would you think or suspect that you are being targetted with this random act? Also, why do you think that the church would do something like this, rather than take money to benefit somone/something?

I dont find it completely odd that the wife is the book keeper. Sometimes smaller churches can do this type of activity. It might be ethically wrong, but I wouldnt call it abnormal.

I do feel for your dilema. My only recommendation to you is to tithe to another church or organization if your own church is unwilling to accept your offerings. It might be a good call to leave the church all together, if you are having these internal struggles. It might be God's way of letting you know so to speak.

How has your relationship been otherwise with the pastor? Apart from the check business, do you have any reason to think that they would want you to leave?

Also, as I read your first post, it sounds like it's the pastor's wife who tells you that it's only your checks that disappear. That seems strange to me. I wonder if there aren't others who are having the same thing happen but they are also reluctant to talk about it. I also agree that it doesn't seem wise for the pastor's wife to keep the books. I think if I were a member of your church, I would want to have a look at the finances. If they have so much trouble cashing your checks, I would be concerned about what's happening to the money from the checks that they do cash. Maybe this isn't intentional, but incompetence can be as dangerous as malfeasance.

Im a bit confused by the whole ordeal. Why would you think or suspect that you are being targetted with this random act? Also, why do you think that the church would do something like this, rather than take money to benefit somone/something?

The reason I feel this way is because they tell me that my checks are the only ones that "disappear". If someone reached into an offering plate and grabbed an envelope, chances are it is not going to be just mine they grab every time. So I hand the pastor,s wife an envelope, and two weeks later she tells me she remembers me handing it to her but she has no recollection of what she did with it.

DL

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
The reason I feel this way is because they tell me that my checks are the only ones that "disappear". If someone reached into an offering plate and grabbed an envelope, chances are it is not going to be just mine they grab every time. So I hand the pastor,s wife an envelope, and two weeks later she tells me she remembers me handing it to her but she has no recollection of what she did with it.

DL

Its just very odd if you ask me. I would start looking elsewhere personally. Why they would be losing your checks or not cashing them is beyond me. It only goes to hurt themselves for whatever they planned on doing with the money.

How has your relationship been otherwise with the pastor? Apart from the check business, do you have any reason to think that they would want you to leave?

Also, as I read your first post, it sounds like it's the pastor's wife who tells you that it's only your checks that disappear. That seems strange to me. I wonder if there aren't others who are having the same thing happen but they are also reluctant to talk about it. I also agree that it doesn't seem wise for the pastor's wife to keep the books. I think if I were a member of your church, I would want to have a look at the finances. If they have so much trouble cashing your checks, I would be concerned about what's happening to the money from the checks that they do cash. Maybe this isn't intentional, but incompetence can be as dangerous as malfeasance.

I would say that I am friends with the pastor. They have come to our house, us theirs. I like to think he values me because he has chosen me among a few others to disciple other families. He chose me to be head usher years ago. I had keys to the church. We go to lunch occasionally. He counselled me when my daughter died.

You are correct, maybe the same is happening to others and they are reluctant to speak of it. I certainly have not brought this up to others in the church.

DL

Its just very odd if you ask me. I would start looking elsewhere personally. Why they would be losing your checks or not cashing them is beyond me. It only goes to hurt themselves for whatever they planned on doing with the money.

I've expressed to them that the money is just sitting in my account not getting used by anybody. And I know they need the money.

DL

This is a real head-scratcher. If you are confident that they will put your money to good use, can you directly deposit your money into their account? I think my church has that option. Even so, I think I'd still want to do something to be a little more confident that there wasn't something strange going on.

Hope you get this straightened out!

Last edited:
I've been an avid churchgoer all my life, and I also have some business background; I'll try and give you a little bit of both.

From an organizational perspective, it is 100% common for there to be very few 'controls' in small organizations, such as your church. Big businesses would never allow someone's wife to keep the books, but they are able to afford to segregate duties to lower the risk of fraud. I'm not sure what the legal requirements are for auditing a charitable organization, but no one with the power to do anything about it is going to spend the time on a small nondenominational organization. I know that my church is privately audited every year, and the results publicly announced by the auditor at a church meeting.

From a religious view, I think that you shouldn't keep donating to the church directly anymore, because this issue is going to keep its hooks in you and you're not going to feel comfortable anymore. You already have been driven to seek anonymous(ish) advice on an internet forum, so this issue is bothering you and probably distracting you from the reason you go to church in the first place.

Find another way to donate (time, property, purchasing certain items for the church, etc) or donate to another charity that you feel is doing God's work. If you really feel the pastor is being dishonest, you should probably talk to him and voice your concerns. He is your pastor, after all, and shouldn't get angry if you're reasonable about it.

This is a real head-scratcher. If you are confident that they will put your money to good use, can you directly deposit your money into their account? I think my church has that option. Even so, I think I'd still want to do something to be a little more confident that there wasn't something strange going on.

I want to believe with all my heart that it is all oversight on their part and not intentional. I am almost to the point where I am convinced that what is happening is in fact intentional. I am going to ask them about direct deposit. That will give me out as to not seem stand-offish. I don't want to just throw my hands up and walk away. Especially if it is unintentional.

DL

Top Bottom