What's new

Lunar new year

So what are people doing for Lunar New Year?

I've got about 15 people coming for a bit of a feast. I used to do slightly more traditional Asian dishes, but my pasty white friends seem to want things to be a bit more sweet&sour oriented.

force the tradition on them, I wouldn't alter my BBQ to suit my yankee friends!
jk, I will probably be stuffed in the corner of some library eating a granola bar or some stinky apple

I'll probably head up to Flushing in Queens and partake in the Chinese, Korean, and Vietnamese celebrations.

/pasty white person who loves authentic food, but also loves sweet and sour!

The menu so far:

Sweet & Sour Pineapple Chicken (By Request)
Green Onion Cakes (By Request)
Home-Made BBQ Pork
Spring Rolls
Potsticker Dumplings
Baby Bok Choi in Oyster Sauce
Calgary Style Ginger Beef (Look it up - it's a real thing)
Hot & Sour Soup
Three Cup Chicken
Hunan Braised Tofu Puffs
Boiled Spiced Peanuts

Mmmmmmmmm

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but does the 2011 the Chinese Lunar Year - The Year of the Rabbit falls on Thursday, February 3, 2011?

And I've researched that like if you were born in 1915, 1927, 1939, 1951, 1963, 1975, 1987, 1999, or 2011 - The Year of the Rabbit, you are one of cuddliest & sweetest creatures in the Chinese zodiac.

http://www.chiff.com/home_life/holiday/chinese-new-year.htm

Although considered somewhat timid by more dynamic signs, you are wise and cautious, and know better than to jump into any situation without thinking!

Tactful, considerate, and popular with a wide circle of friends and family, luck just seems to come to you unbidden.

For the Rabbit in 2011, any recent setbacks or obstacles can be overcome, so look forward to a year in which to really shine, either personally or professionally. :thumbup:

So, maybe the Mrs and I will have dinner at a local authentic Chinese restuarant...hmmmm...I'll have to do some research.
proxy.php

Christopher
proxy.php
proxy.php

Treewhale, the menu looks fantastic! Was on a tour that stopped at the West Edmondton Mall two years ago. Could live in the Chinese grocery store in the upper level!!!!

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Treewhale, can I come to your place on Lunar New Year? That menu sounds like absolute heaven to me!
craig87c:
Treewhale's menu is awesome and The Mrs. and I want to go to his place for Lunar New Year too...pleaseeeeee.
proxy.php
Mmmmmmmmm Good :thumbup:

Christopher
proxy.php

PS I remenber traveling and playing hockey (goalie), games and tournaments in Sault St Marie, Ontario, Hamilton, Toronto, , Montreal and Quebec, with our league G.L.A.H.A. (Greater Lansing Amateur Hockey Association based in Lansing, Michigan), back 'in-my-salad-days'....'between the pipes'.
proxy.php

The Goalie Motto: "Only God saves more than Goaltenders" CBJ

proxy.php

Last edited:
The menu so far:

Sweet & Sour Pineapple Chicken (By Request)
Green Onion Cakes (By Request)
Home-Made BBQ Pork
Spring Rolls
Potsticker Dumplings
Baby Bok Choi in Oyster Sauce
Calgary Style Ginger Beef (Look it up - it's a real thing)
Hot & Sour Soup
Three Cup Chicken
Hunan Braised Tofu Puffs
Boiled Spiced Peanuts

Mmmmmmmmm

The only good version of this I had (much like all Chinese food) was at a real place here in Chinatown.

While I don't actually celebrate the Lunar new year, any excuse to eat chinese food is good for me.

Your menu looks good.
Enjoy! :thumbup1:

Mmmmm. Chinese food is delicious.
I don't know if the Lunar New Year is celebrated here in Norway, and if it is I guess it's closed parties in the chinese restaurants with the families.
Your menu looks awesome treewhale.:thumbup1:

Mmmmm. Chinese food is delicious.
I don't know if the Lunar New Year is celebrated here in Norway, and if it is I guess it's closed parties in the chinese restaurants with the families.
Your menu looks awesome treewhale.:thumbup1:

While the average pasty-white person in Canada doesn't celebrate lunar new year either, I jump at the chance to

1) Party

2) Eat incredible food

3) Party

Most of my pasty-white friends don't object.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
My wife is claiming that it is the year of the squirrel. I'm not sure where she picked this one up.

Top Bottom