What's new

I'm selected!

A few weeks ago I was emailed by Esquire mag (I subscribe) and asked if I'd be interested in trying "new products" for their advertisers. I said 'yup' - free stuff!

today Fed Ex dropped off this:

proxy.php

Not a new product, as far as I can tell - but AOS asks I use it five times in the next week and respond to a survey.

Goo in a can!

Pre-shave oil!

AS balm!

... and ALL UNSCENTED!

- and a nice badger brush... really, it seems pretty decent - here's a pic of the one in the kit they sent to me:
proxy.php

I will give this stuff a try - we'll see....

They picked me!

Congrats on getting picked! I was looking to pick up that exact kit just for the fact that it is perfect for air travel.

Goo in a can!

That is not goo in a can. That is the same shaving cream they sell in tubs (and is highly regarded around here), it's just packed in a smaller pump container to make it airline safe.

According to AoS your brush should only last 2 weeks :lol:

No, the brush referred to there is the starter kit brush. It's a tiny brush, with a tiny knot. The brush included in the Travel kit appears to be the normal full size brush. The Travel Kit, and the Starter Kit (which they often give away for free) are not the same thing.

The idea behind the starter kit is that you would try the products for a week or two, find them to be excellent, and thus buy the full size $100 kit. The Starter Kit even has a coupon for $25 off of the full size kit.

Last edited:
In sort of the same vein:

For Christmas, my MIL bought me a shaving starter kit that I think she paid maybe twenty bucks for... I think it was a super-cheap Marvy set from a beauty store that came with a brush, mug and a soap.

At any rate, the brush seemed like a typical cheap boar deal, but somewhere around my 6th or 7th shave, I was applying a pile of lather to my face, and the brush started to literally fall apart, all at once! It really was wild - by the end of the shave, the entire middle portion of the brush was in my mug, thoroughly mixed in with my shave lather. The brush only had bristles left in a circle around the outside. Truly a mess.

The next day I bought a boar brush at CVS, which looked identicle to the one that disintegrated. I've been using that for a month or so, and am still using it as I wait for my Badger Meuhle to be shipped. It still looks and works great!

I guess my point is: Sometimes stuff sucks!

That is not goo in a can. That is the same shaving cream they sell in tubs (and is highly regarded around here), it's just packed in a smaller pump container to make it airline safe.

No, the brush referred to there is the starter kit brush.

I am very fortunate, then!

I'm not usually a SC guy (soaper all the way) but...

thanks for the clarification, John.

I've been using this brush (The "Carry On" kit brush.. NOT the "Starter" brush) for a month now and I really like it. It's my frist badger but I think it's pretty good.. it's slightly prickly but it's very solid. I've lost maybe 2 or 3 hairs literally since Christmas.. The shaving cream and balm are nice (I have the Sandalwood set), but I haven't used the pre-shave oil yet..

Last edited:
That's the very kit that got me started, though I too have the sandlewood. I was using my Fusion for a while before making the DE leap. I also bought a tub of the Sandlewood cream when my "goo in a can" ran out.

Top Bottom