What's new

Commodore X1 vs. Berkeley 46

I'm looking to purchase my first Simpson's and I have narrowed my choices down to the Berkeley 46 and Commodore X1. My question for all of you is what the differences are in the two brushes. Both the Berkeley and Commodore share a knot size of 20mm and loft sizes of 45mm and 44mm respectively. Handle lengths are 45mm for the Berkeley and 46mm for the Commodore. West Coast Shaving has the Berkeley priced at $49 and the Commodore at $50. According to everything I can see, the two brushes are basically the same, with the only difference being in the shape of the handle. Is there anyone that has used both brushes that can comment on any differences? Is one brush more or less dense than the other? Does one brush show a greater bloom after use? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I can't really help you since I only used the X1. It is rather dense but not superdense. Though I do prefer boars for hard soaps/face lathering the Commodore does not have any problems with either; I just prefer the boar massage over the badger's.

Unless you just like the handle of the X1, there is no reason to not get the Berkeley. Tried and proven over and over by many shavers on here. Plenty dense, quite traditional handle, a great foundation should you decide to acquire other Simpsons in the future.

But that is just it; the handle on the commodore X1 is one of the nicest handles I have ever held in my big hands....
Then you should have mentioned that to the OP.:wink2:

I suspect if it wasn't for the drastic handle differences between the 46 and the X1, there wouldn't have been a need to make both. I think for some people, the brushes with the exaggerated narrow waist, like Simpson's Commodore and Rooney's Ali Baba(?) is something they either really like the look of or don't like the look of at all. Some folks just feel that rather squatty cylindrical look like the Dukes and Chubbies and Stubbies (and yes, the Berkeley) are the only way to go.

I have used an X1 and I thought the handle was fine for my particular grip and for face lathering, yet I am one who finds myself leaning toward the squatty round look I reference above. Hey, there's no accounting for taste.

But that is just it; the handle on the commodore X1 is one of the nicest handles I have ever held in my big hands....

I think I'm leaning towards the Commodore right now for this reason. The handle looks like it will better suit me for bowl lathering, which is what I will be using the brush for primarily. I could see myself face lathering with the brush as well from time to time, however I have a Rooney 1/1 for that and I'm pleased with it for this purpose. The reason I posted was because of the lack of information out there on the Commodore. According to the specs, the two look to have virtually identical knots and only vary slightly in handle shape. With all the acclaim the Berkeley receives and the similarity of the knots, I think that the Commodore will be a great brush for me and that the handle will better suit my needs.

Travis, you could contact Simpsons and just ask whether they have the same knots. But there is not very much info on the X1 around here.

Once and a while I just jump in my car with a little cash to burn to the Dutch Shave Shop (1 1/2 hour ride) and it was there in real life that the X1 did it for me. Never even considered the brush before.....

Travis, you could contact Simpsons and just ask whether they have the same knots. But there is not very much info on the X1 around here.

Once and a while I just jump in my car with a little cash to burn to the Dutch Shave Shop (1 1/2 hour ride) and it was there in real life that the X1 did it for me. Never even considered the brush before.....

Thank you. I may just have to contact them. I wish there was a B&M around me that carried Simpson's brushes, but the best I can manage is Colonel Conk and AOS.

Last edited:
I don't think you can go wrong with either one of those brushes. I was also deciding between the Commodore and the Berkeley. I only chose the Berkeley because I preferred the more conventional shape of the handle. Haven't regretted the purchase. Lovely, lovely brush.

Do It the B&B way. Buy both brushes from WCS, you'll get free shipping at this point. Sell the one you don't like as much.
Just some food for thought:

I seem to see Commodores come up on the B/S/T listings fairly frequently. I rarely, however, see a Berkeley being sold on the board. I'm sure members could point out a bit of contradictory evidence to that statement, but overall it is pretty accurate.

Do It the B&B way. Buy both brushes from WCS, you'll get free shipping at this point. Sell the one you don't like as much.

I would do this, however the brush is going to be a gift from my fiance. I wouldn't feel comfortable asking for both.

Just some food for thought:

I seem to see Commodores come up on the B/S/T listings fairly frequently. I rarely, however, see a Berkeley being sold on the board. I'm sure members could point out a bit of contradictory evidence to that statement, but overall it is pretty accurate.

That is a good point, especially since the Commodore seems to be a less popular brush than the Berkeley. If it weren't a gift, I would probably just pick up the next one to show up on BST, whichever brush that might be.

To make matters worse, I'm now looking at the Colonel as well. With the longer handle and slightly larger knot, this may be a better option for bowl lathering. I have been given until tonight to make up my mind.

Thanks. I would like to get something with density between my EJ BBB and my Rooney 1/1.

the Berkeley can do anything the Rooney 1.1 can and will save you some money. got mine @ west coast shaving since they offer 10% off for b/b members. i also have a sm EJ bbb and the Simp or Rooney are wayyyy softer. even though the EJ bbb whips up cream and soap quicker since its not as dense, i guess it gets more air flow through to it. either way the Berkeley or the 1.1 are great choices.

That is a good point, especially since the Commodore seems to be a less popular brush than the Berkeley. If it weren't a gift, I would probably just pick up the next one to show up on BST, whichever brush that might be.
I wasn't actually making my post as a recommendation to pick up a used Commodore; I was pointing out that by my observations, more folks got rid of their Commodores than their Berkeleys.

the Berkeley can do anything the Rooney 1.1 can and will save you some money. got mine @ west coast shaving since they offer 10% off for b/b members. i also have a sm EJ bbb and the Simp or Rooney are wayyyy softer. even though the EJ bbb whips up cream and soap quicker since its not as dense, i guess it gets more air flow through to it. either way the Berkeley or the 1.1 are great choices.

Do you feel that the Berkeley and 1/1 are a bit too similar to justify having both? Should I move up to something like a Colonel to avoid having such similar brushes?

I wasn't actually making my post as a recommendation to pick up a used Commodore; I was pointing out that by my observations, more folks got rid of their Commodores than their Berkeleys.

I understood your post. Like I said, it's especially odd considering the fact that the Commodore seems to be less popular than the Berkeley to begin with. I just went off a bit on a tangent talking about buying from BST, and I guess my response was a little misleading.

Do you feel that the Berkeley and 1/1 are a bit too similar to justify having both? Should I move up to something like a Colonel to avoid having such similar brushes?

yes, they are so close you dont really need both. it would be like having a 3 series BMW and a C-class Mercedes or a Accord/Camry etc

Top Bottom