What's new

....Any MUSICIAN'S Out There?

Ive been playing guitar for about 10 years now. I mainly stick to acoustic and my style varies but I have been experimenting with some Flamenco type spanish style lately.

And you?

Yup yup!!

Bass for 7 years (my best instrument)
Then some piano/keys (nothing really complicated, enough to get me by)
Ukulele (also enough to get me by)
I'm gonna put Reason 4.0 on here as an instrument.
Just started guitar.

I like playing really anything on bass (Five Iron Frenzy, Decemberists, anything). I play Sufjan Stevens type stuff on piano...simple indie stuff. As well as synth stuff on Reason. I enjoy dubstep and have been experimenting with it lately.

How about you? What do you play?

How many of you out there play a musical instrument? If so,what type of instrument and what style? :thumbup1:
Thats awesome!...Music is something very emotional and something you can do till...100 years old. I play bass,17 years now.Starting to get into drums now.

Drummer here, since I was 9 years old. And I'm ... well, I'm older than 9 now. :tongue_sm And still playing! Matter of fact, I had a gig just last night.

I love playing all kinds of stuff but I have a special fondness for R&B & funk -- anything with a serious, dirty groove. I can't speak for anyone else, but playing keeps me sane. :thumbup1:

Drummer here, since I was 9 years old. And I'm ... well, I'm older than 9 now. :tongue_sm And still playing! Matter of fact, I had a gig just last night.

I love playing all kinds of stuff but I have a special fondness for R&B & funk -- anything with a serious, dirty groove. I can't speak for anyone else, but playing keeps me sane. :thumbup1:
Hey Cool Evan.Whats a good starter set?...fixin to touch the tip of the iceberg on the drums....

You can get some real groovy funky stuff on youtube....Alot stuff never heard by the human ear,ha....

Hey Cool Evan.Whats a good starter set?...fixin to touch the tip of the iceberg on the drums....

Man. It's been so long since I bought a kit! There's so much out there, I'm not sure I'd know how to guide you. Depends a lot on your budget, tho.

Also, do you have any experience playing on a kit? Whatever brand you wind up buying, I'd get something very small to start. In fact, if you're just starting out you don't even need any toms. Kick, snare, hats & a ride will do you just fine. Maybe another crash cymbal or 2. My experience is that ~95% of the action happens between kick, snare & hats anyway, so anything else -- additional drums, cymbals, etc. -- are just more colors on the palette. But you have to know how to paint with the most basic colors first.

Man. It's been so long since I bought a kit! There's so much out there, I'm not sure I'd know how to guide you. Depends a lot on your budget, tho.

Also, do you have any experience playing on a kit? Whatever brand you wind up buying, I'd get something very small to start. In fact, if you're just starting out you don't even need any toms. Kick, snare, hats & a ride will do you just fine. Maybe another crash cymbal or 2. My experience is that ~95% of the action happens between kick, snare & hats anyway, so anything else -- additional drums, cymbals, etc. -- are just more colors on the palette. But you have to know how to paint with the most basic colors first.
thanks for your expertise!...I've been learning technique with just a pair of sticks and a mouse pad on a book....sharky

thanks for your expertise!...I've been learning technique with just a pair of sticks and a mouse pad on a book....sharky

Do you have a teacher? You need to have someone guiding you, someone who can show you how to hold & control the sticks. Also, sticks & a mouse pad are great to begin with, but you really should be working with a proper practice pad. You won't get a true bounce otherwise, and if you don't get a true bounce then you won't learn how to accurately control the sticks. Practice pads are cheap.

The other thing you need to do -- and there's no getting away from this -- is to practice with a metronome. All. The. Time. The drummer is the person driving the band and keeping the groove in line. Your time needs to be solid. If you don't practice with a metronome, your time won't be happening, and that's a bad thing for a drummer. Trust me, I learned this the hard way.

Do you have a teacher? You need to have someone guiding you, someone who can show you how to hold & control the sticks. Also, sticks & a mouse pad are great to begin with, but you really should be working with a proper practice pad. You won't get a true bounce otherwise, and if you don't get a true bounce then you won't learn how to accurately control the sticks. Practice pads are cheap.

The other thing you need to do -- and there's no getting away from this -- is to practice with a metronome. All. The. Time. The drummer is the person driving the band and keeping the groove in line. Your time needs to be solid. If you don't practice with a metronome, your time won't be happening, and that's a bad thing for a drummer. Trust me, I learned this the hard way.
Thanks again Evan for the advise,will do.....sharky

My main instrument is the melodeon, the button box. See avatar for my favourite one of the four I have!

Also play mandolin, guitar, ukulele, Irish tenor banjo and a bit of fiddle.

I play tradition English dance music, which for those that don't know, is along the lines of Irish trad music but with a more solid, stompy beat.

I am the musician for a Cotswold morris team, leader of a ceilidh band and play generally in pub sessions around the area.

Good fun.

Gareth

I play the piano, about 16 years. And I'm not so old! Mostly classical music till 20th century. And a little bit of jazz music (be-bop and so on).

Did piano as a kid but I'm one of those "lucky" people who can pick up almost any instrument and knock out some sort of tune.

Played in a number of bands through uni. Main instruments Guitar and Harmonica ( both self taught )

Main band, everyone in the band played multiple instruments and we'd swap in the middle of songs :lol:

Mostly blues and 60s stuff.

Haven't played "professionally" for a while but played at The Saloon in San Francisco on holidays with Johnny Nitro and the Door Jammers recently after a few brews and some prompting by the other conference delegates :thumbup:

Last edited:
My telecaster stopped playing the blues and started collecting dust (figuratively, of course) once I discovered flamenco a few years ago.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
I have been learning the double bass and am enjoying it like crazy. Nothing more relaxing to me than to sit for 30 minutes playing some little walking blues lines and improvising a bit. I had little musical talent previously but the idea of only four strings played one at a time, reasonably slow just seemed to click for me. Even before any lessons I was playing some basic lines within a few days after following some Youtube videos.

I've got a cheap import bass from Craigslist right now but am saving for something nicer to inspire me. It would help if it looks a little nicer as the size of these beasts makes them a rather prominent feature in the house.

I'm torn between picking up a vintage Kay or King and a newly made Upton bass. Upton is a small company near Mystic CT. making basses crafstman style entirely here in the USA which really appeals to me even though I like the idea of a vintage instrument.

Tony

My dream:

I play the bagpipes, I played in a pipe band when I was a bit younger, now I just play for the fun of it and to get my kids dancing around the house. Thinking of joining one of the local bands near me though.

Also dabble a bit with the acoustic guitar, not very well though.

Tony, that looks like a pretty nice bass! I just sold my double bass after years of battling a hand injury. Now I just play electric. Here I am....

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyCV2SVDP_s&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

I have been learning the double bass and am enjoying it like crazy. Nothing more relaxing to me than to sit for 30 minutes playing some little walking blues lines and improvising a bit. I had little musical talent previously but the idea of only four strings played one at a time, reasonably slow just seemed to click for me. Even before any lessons I was playing some basic lines within a few days after following some Youtube videos.

I've got a cheap import bass from Craigslist right now but am saving for something nicer to inspire me. It would help if it looks a little nicer as the size of these beasts makes them a rather prominent feature in the house.

I'm torn between picking up a vintage Kay or King and a newly made Upton bass. Upton is a small company near Mystic CT. making basses crafstman style entirely here in the USA which really appeals to me even though I like the idea of a vintage instrument.

Tony

My dream:

I've played tenor and baritone sax for 17 years. After dealing with all of the required high school classical music I moved on to big-band and jazz/funk.

Top Bottom