What's new

Not getting great results. Suggestions?

Hey Guys,

Been wet shaving for about 3 years with luxury creams, a badger brush, and my fusion razor. I actually tried DE shaving when I got into the creams and badger brushes but quit after a week because I wasn’t getting the results I wanted (I know this wasn’t enough time). I get pretty good results from my fusion but not BBS. I get no ingrown hairs or razor burn with 3 passes on my fusion. I’m giving DE shaving another chance because of the high price of cartridge razors, enjoyment of DE shaving, and trying to get a frequent BBS.

I have been at DE shaving for about a month now and still am not getting great results. I have read everything about technique, blade pressure, proper shave prep, correct lather, post shave process, etc etc…. Somehow I keep getting razor burn on my neck even with the lightest of blade pressure. I’m struggling to find a resolution. My only guess is the equipment. I currently use a feather and a SS. Yes I have tried razor sample packs. The feather seems to be the only razor that really cuts through my bread and doesn’t drag. I also currently have an open comb old type that gives me a really close shave but provides a great deal of razor burn. I also tried different blades in the old type and still landed on feathers. However, I have set this razor aside for days I have a couple of days of growth because of its aggressiveness.

I have a Super Adjustable coming to me this week. I’m hoping that being able to change the aggressiveness of the razor will help eliminate the razor burn and still provide a close shave. I hope this does the trick.

Any other suggestions? Thanks for the insight!

Have you looked at post on technique. Maybe adjustable at less aggressive setting would help. Take a look at your blade angle. Good luck.

Ryan, if you are getting razor burn the best possibilities for your problem are pressure on the blade, wrong blade angle, too aggressive a razor, or wrong blade for your face.

I know you may think you are on target with these areas - but odds are you aren't. Years of cartridge use may well have given you bad habits that are hard to break. I know of individuals who took up DE shaving and swore they weren't putting pressure on the blade - but they were. To see about the pressure try holding it on the finger tips of two fingers and one finger on the end of the razor.

The one thing that helped me a lot was the idea of a smoother blade and going for beard reduction on multiple passes rather than getting everything on one or two passes.

The slim adjustable may help you out - but if your technique is off it won't.

One other thing. What are you doing after you shave? Your post shave procedure can go a long way in minimizing any razor burn. I wash off my face with a wash cloth dipped in warm water to get rid of all of the remaining lather. Next, I soak a wash cloth in cold water and put in on my face for about 30 seconds. Next I apply a splash of WH. I use Thayer’s Rose Petal or Lavender WH. They are alcohol free and do not sting when they go on but provide soothing relief to my skin. I then use a skin moisturizer to provide relief. There are a number of good moisturizers out there such as Nivea, Neutrogena, T&H, GFT, and others. If my face is really raw I use a moisturizer I borrow from my wife. Recently, based on the recommendation of another B&Ber a product called CeraVe Moisturizing Lotion. This product works great for any irritation I may have.

Last edited:
You didn't mention your pass routine. Irritation may result without proper beard reduction. How many passes do you make, and what type?

Codfish

It could be irritation from the soap. DE shaving cuts closer than the fusion, and could be taking off more skin cells than your neck is use to. Try a glycerin soap instead of a heavy cream. Van Der Hagen is sold for a few bucks at Walgreen's, so it won't cost you an arm and a leg to try it. Folliculitis (inflamation of the skin near the hair follicle), can often be mistaken for razor burn. Glycerin cleans the dead skin away from the hair follicles, propping up the hairs for a clean shave, reducing folliculitis.
Also, I'm sure you know this, but short strokes in the direction of the hair is the way to go. Sensitive skin shavers should not try to go "against the grain" on the neck. Is your razor adjustable? If so, set it low.

Partial quote:

Also, I'm sure you know this, but short strokes in the direction of the hair is the way to go. Sensitive skin shavers should not try to go "against the grain" on the neck. Is your razor adjustable? If so, set it low.

The OP said he was getting an adjustable. Great advice to start at a low setting. Someone else said in another thread, and I agree, the point of using an adjustable is not to see how aggressive you can stand it, but to use the mildest setting possible to get a good shave.

As for ATG, I would recommend holding off on it until you are really proficient. Only then should you try it at a very mild setting on an adjustable. You can always dial it up, as your skills improve, if necessary.

Good luck.

Have you mapped out the grain of your beard?
How confident are you that you are shaving truly with the grain on the 1st pass?

Many guys, myself included, have the grain on the neck go E-W instead of N-S.
You may be inadvertently shaving against the grain on your neck in one of your earlier passes, which can cause irritation.

In fact, I had to eliminate the true ATG pass on my neck.
I instead make the 3 passes at varying degrees of XTG, increasing the aggressiveness with each pass.

\\
||
//

Ryan, if you are getting razor burn the best possibilities for your problem are pressure on the blade, wrong blade angle, too aggressive a razor, or wrong blade for your face.

I know you may think you are on target with these areas - but odds are you aren't. Years of cartridge use may well have given you bad habits that are hard to break. I know of individuals who took up DE shaving and swore they weren't putting pressure on the blade - but they were. To see about the pressure try holding it on the finger tips of two fingers and one finger on the end of the razor.

The one thing that helped me a lot was the idea of a smoother blade and going for beard reduction on multiple passes rather than getting everything on one or two passes. The slim adjustable may help you out - but if your technique is off it won't.

One other thing. What are you doing after you shave? Your post shave procedure can go a long way in minimizing any razor burn. I wash off my face with a wash cloth dipped in warm water to get rid of all of the remaining lather. Next, I soak a wash cloth in cold water and put in on my face for about 30 seconds. Next I apply a splash of WH. I use Thayer’s Rose Petal or Lavender WH. They are alcohol free and do not sting when they go on but provide soothing relief to my skin. I then use a skin moisturizer to provide relief. There are a number of good moisturizers out there such as Nivea, Neutrogena, T&H, GFT, and others. If my face is really raw I use a moisturizer I borrow from my wife. Recently, based on the recommendation of another B&Ber a product called CeraVe Moisturizing Lotion. This product works great for any irritation I may have.

Technique, Technique, Technique. Great advice:thumbup:

Top Bottom