What's new

How do I use Cella?

Hi fellas. I just ordered some Cella. Not the big 1 kilo brick but the 5oz. red tub. According to Marco's review it's still an excellent product.

My question is, how should I go about loading my brush with this stuff? The consistency is supposed to be like a putty. With hard soaps I put hot water on the puck to soften it and then load a wells squeezed out brush on the puck until the brush is loaded with a paste. Then I proceed to my trusty lather bowl to build lather.

Since Cella is a softer consistency i take it I won't have to soften the soap with hot water like I would a triple milled soap. Should I load the brush as I would otherwise, a well squeezed out brush worked on the soap until it's well loaded with soap paste?

What's the best approach with this stuff? I can't wait for it to get here.

I load cella just like a hard soap. Just no soaking the soap and don't load for so long. Cella is great!

Edit to add: I think you will find cella will create a better lather when face lathered, as opposed to bowl.

Last edited:
As Dan mentioned above, there's no need to put water on top of the soap. Just shake the excess water from your brush, load the Cella, and add water as you build your lather.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I load my brush on top of the soap and face lather. some take a small piece out and use it like a shaving cream.

I find the red tube Cella comes in to be too small. Since it is such a soft soap I scoop it out of the tub and mold it into a small (8 oz.) disposable Tupperware container. The larger container makes it easier to load for me. I did the same with the kilo brick I purchased...Cella rocks! :thumbup:

Anyone ever try milling it into a shave stick? I know it's soft but what about putting it in the stick and then freezing it.:001_tt1: Cella is great I just don't use it that much since I always just reach for one of the shave sticks. Hope I'm not hijacking the thread.

I lather off the tub as well. you do have to be careful not over grind into the soap as it is still quite soft. I use my softer badgers and stay away from the boar brushes because of this.

I load it pretty much like any other hard soap or cream. It's an excellent product and it takes very little effort develop a great lather. :thumbup1:

I too transfer to 8oz container. A 5oz tub should easily last a few months if used daily. A little goes a long way. Great stuff!:thumbup1:

As Dan mentioned above, there's no need to put water on top of the soap. Just shake the excess water from your brush, load the Cella, and add water as you build your lather.

I use it the same way, but I load only with TWO quick swirls. That gives me plenty of lather for more than 3 passes if I wanted. A Greee-aatee soap!!

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
It has to be one of the easiest to lather soaps. You'll use it many times before you put a dent in the tub.

With pride and joy!
But seriously - it lathers quite easily, you'll be fine.. the bowl gets messy though, so I keep an extra towel around so I don't muck up the sink-top.

I lather off the tub as well. you do have to be careful not over grind into the soap as it is still quite soft. I use my softer badgers and stay away from the boar brushes because of this.

You can use boars - I use boars of differing stiffness with no problem. It may be soft by soap standards, but it's dense.

I face lather with Cella and a boar all the time, works great! :thumbup1: I just shake the water off the brush, swirl it in the tub a few times, then add water to the brush as I work it into my beard. Just don't work as hard at picking up soap as you would with a harder soap.

I face lather with Cella and a boar all the time, works great! :thumbup1: I just shake the water off the brush, swirl it in the tub a few times, then add water to the brush as I work it into my beard. Just don't work as hard at picking up soap as you would with a harder soap.

I know there's no need to but I still load my brush for the min one minute I apply to the harder soaps. What I get is plentiful, excellent lather. Cella, Crema Sapone Extra Extra Purissima=:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

David

I load my brush right out of the red tub. I think it will last 6 months. Cella has been my favorite for a while now.

I got a sample from Phil at Bullgoose, tried it my last 2 shaves. Ive gotta say, im not a fan.

It built a great lather in the bowl, but i didnt like the smell and it seemed to dry my face out between passes, with the razor catching a bit where there was no lather.

Each to their own i suppose.

I'm not crazy about loading any soap in a separate bowl/scuttle - those are for creams IMO.

Lathering directly off a soap puck & loading the brush pretty heavily gives the best results for me.

Soaps I have on the go right now are Cella, Col Conk, Pre de Provence & Muhle.

I prefer creams overall, but soaps are more practical in a travel kit as there's no need for a bowl/scuttle.

Last edited:
Top Bottom