What's new

Suggest an Acne product(s)

What's good? Looking for a good acne product regimen. I've considered ProActiv, but I don't want to be dried out all day. Guess I need a good cleanser and moisturizer?

Look at underlying causes first.

+ Adequate water intake (factor in caffeine useage here)
+ Nutrition
+ Junk food

Then ensure a good skincare routine for your skin, including cleansing, exfoliating and moisturising as well as treating blemishes.

Find a place that does the Omnilux Blue treatments.

If you sporadically have acne. I suggest clean & clear persa-gel 10. It works great for my random outbreaks. Now if you have chronic acne then you should look in to Zenmed... Also do not underestimate water intake. Drinking water helps to remove toxins/bacteria from the skin and it also prevents excess oil buildup which eventually leads to acne.

I recall that Razor Pete, a dermatologist member here, recommended products with benzoyl peroxide.

I personally have to put in a plug for Grisi Sulfur soap OR De La Cruz Sulfur ointment 10%. Follow the label directions. Some people will find the smell objectionable and my understanding is that sulfur does not work for everyone, but they are very economical products. Some Walmarts and Walgreens carry this in the Latin sections.

I recall that Razor Pete, a dermatologist member here, recommended products with benzoyl peroxide.

I have a tube of 3% Benzoyl Peroxide handy in case of a random pimple or two. According to Daniel Kern and acne.org, the 3% concentration is just as effective as the 10% stuff. So far, applying the 3% BP before bed has worked well for me, and could hopefully work for you if your acne is mild-moderate.

I am OCD about acne so I think my advice can help you a lot.

You need to go out to the store and buy the two facewashes OXY offers. One is 10% Benzoyl Peroxide which you can view below. I get mine at Wal Mart for under $5

http://www.amazon.com/OXY-Daily-Treatment-Maximum-Strength/dp/B000NRUYLK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1296015109&sr=8-2

The other is 2% Salicylic Acid by oxy which you can view below. You can buy this for $4 at wal-mart

http://www.amazon.com/Oxy-Maximum-Cleaning-6-Ounce-Bottles/dp/B0027P9DQI/ref=sr_1_7?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1296015171&sr=1-7

Combine this with a Salicylic acid spot treatment of any kind. MAKE SURE you apply spot treatment LIBERALLY at NIGHT and you will wake up with your acne diminshed.

If you suffer from severe back acne like I do, you can do two things. First, you can buy some acne pads like these from oxy:

http://www.amazon.com/Oxy-Maximum-Daily-Cleansing-Pads/dp/B001G7PJAC/ref=sr_1_4?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1296015171&sr=1-4

I use these pads instead of a lathering shower wash. I used to have severe back acne and now it is all gone. I have very little acne since I have started using these pads once or twice a day.

Or you could take a 1oz sprayer like I have and fill it up with an acne fighting solution such as this:

http://www.amazon.com/Clean-Clear-Cleaning-Astringent-Fighting/dp/B0009RFAOK/ref=sr_1_6?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1296015385&sr=1-6

Apply it liberally to your back but do not accidentally inhale it because it will make you sneeze.

You would be better served buying an astringent for $2 on the grocery sheld that is NOT made by Johnson and Johnson because the company has had significant quality control problems and I do not trust their consumer products.

Guess I need a good cleanser and moisturizer?

If your skin dries out a lot like mine does from acne treatments, apply a moisturizer as needed. I do not know much about moisturizers and I just started using them because I always thought they were metrosexual. They are not metrosexual--they make my skin look better and girls seem to notice. PLEASE tell me if you can find a moisturizer that I can add to my regimen. I hope my advice helps. Just stick to your routine and you can control your acne.

Last edited:
My wife uses face washes and the like and it always seems to break her skin out more. Any reason why? It's not likely an allergic reacion as many brands seem to do it.

Almost all products contain some kind of surfactant.

There are some people whose skin does not respond well to Sodium Lauryl Sulfate and its ilk, even though it supposedly breaks up oil. My wife switched to using only liquid castile soap and non-SLS shampoos and it cleared her up significantly--and she had been trying all the dermatologist recommended "treatments" beforehand to no avail.

Not saying this will work in your case, but it's worth a shot.

PLEASE tell me if you can find a moisturizer that I can add to my regimen.

Head to Macy's and pick up a bottle of Origins Balanced Diet moisturizer. This stuff is incredible (as is their "frothy face wash"). Lightweight in both scent and consistency and absorbs quickly without that oily feel.

I'll warn that for the $18-$25 a bottle goes for, the size is laughable (in fact, the picture below is almost actual size!)...until you try it and realize just how little is needed. Between my wife and I, a bottle lasts about a month and a half.

proxy.php

I use Neutrogena Oil Free Acne Wash, Thayer's Superhazel and Kiehl's Blue Herbal Moisturizer. Both the facewash and face cream here contain salicylic acid. I've noticed a dramatic decrease in the frequency of my zits ever since I started using these products as a part of my little 'system' (which also includes wet shaving :thumbup:).

I've been using the Acne.org face wash and peroxide product and have had good results since I went with it full time. The site recommends using their moisturizer as well, but I just use Cetaphil face lotion every now and then.

Cetaphil Daily Facial Cleanser. Get large bottle of it at wallmart for like 10 bucks and put it in your shower somewhere. Great stuff. When i first started using this on a reccomendation, my skin looked so much better and i havent used anything since!

very pure and nice on your skin.

I'm not sure what you mean about cetaphil being very "pure". It's loaded with chemicals. It does get alot of praise but dries me out.

Look up the thread I started on oil-cleansing. Naturally, I have very oily skin that's prone to break-outs and this method has limited them to nil.

I also recommend using a facial-cleansing mask (QED Green Clay is my favorite) about once a week.

I have sent you a PM regarding this subject. This is the line that I use. I have lots of it too. It's a tea tree oil line and works really well in my opinion.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Witch Hazel as a toner and for breakouts I use Calamine lotion. Just dunk a q-tip in and dab it on the zit and leave it on overnight. It dries into a chalk-like powder and really helps reduce the size and redness of the zit and both are really cheap.

Nancy Boy has a very good mild face wash that will clean, but not over dry. Alchimie makes a good exoliant that you can use once a week in lieu of a mask, but I also happen to be a fan of the Nancy Boy replenishing face mask. To help with dryness, apply the Kyoku men's moisturizer (black tube) or something similiar.

Another underlying cause of acne that I wasn't cognizant of was touching the face with hands. It's something that I did subconsiously for years and was perhaps the most significant reason I suffered from acne. It never dawned on me, but in hindsight it is pretty intuitive when you think about it. Your hands are in contact with any number of things everyday so naturally they will get more bacteria on them and stuck under the fingernails (if they're longer than they ought to be).

Look up the thread I started on oil-cleansing. Naturally, I have very oily skin that's prone to break-outs and this method has limited them to nil.

I also recommend using a facial-cleansing mask (QED Green Clay is my favorite) about once a week.

I've heard the QED mask is pretty aggressive. Does it dry you out more so than other masks?

Top Bottom