What's new

TGN 20mm super badger hair fan loft advice?

I think it will be great just like you have it in the pic.
I have a silvertip knot set at 45mm, but I'd love to try it at 42mm.

Last edited:
I just had Rudy Vey insert that same knot in a restoration and you have it set about the same as he did. IMHO it is just right.

I have one set at 47mm. Usually I like them low and stiff, but I pulled this one out last week and I've been reassessing it. It makes a great lather from hard soaps with little effort, and although it doesn't give me the face massage of my blacks, I have totally changed my mind that it is too wimpy. It just needs a lighter touch.

So setting it lower would help with the spine and it should make a great little brush. I would hesitate to go lower than 42, these things need a little room to move or they get lumpish. If the fit is reasonably tight I recommend using it for a few days just pressed in at your intended loft. This way you can try it out at a couple lofts to be sure. I find that as you converge on too low, very small differences in the depth of the setting can have very significant impacts on how it behaves. If it is a reasonable friction fit it will swell and tighten up when you use it and stay in place just fine without glue. In fact if you want to pull it out you may find you need to let it dry a few days to loosen up.

If the fit is reasonably tight I recommend using it for a few days just pressed in at your intended loft. This way you can try it out at a couple lofts to be sure. I find that as you converge on too low, very small differences in the depth of the setting can have very significant impacts on how it behaves. If it is a reasonable friction fit it will swell and tighten up when you use it and stay in place just fine without glue. In fact if you want to pull it out you may find you need to let it dry a few days to loosen up.

I'd never thought of doing this before. I might well give it a go and see how it turns out. Thank you for the advice.

I believe others have mentioned that a guy could also use rtv gasket sealer as a temporary glue. It will hold the knot in place, but you would easily be able to twist and remove the knot when needed. I'm pretty sure this would work well.

Well I tried it this evening with just a friction fit and the fit was not really tight enough to hold it. I think I am going to set it at 42mm though it seemed to have a nice bloom but still felt dense at this loft. Just need to wait for the knot to dry out for a day or two now and then gather it back in. It's amazing how much a knot not set in any kind of handle blooms, it's like holding a small hedgehog in your hands.

Top Bottom