What's new

New to Tea (well, real tea)

Hello gents.

Just getting into loose leaf tea. I received a Brown Betty for Christmas and just purchased about 10 different teas to try. All loose leaf. Brewed my first pot and I measured out my water to get the right teaspoon of tea to cup of water amount right. Thing is, the tea pot must have kept some for itself. I was about 1/2 a cup short when I poured the tea into our cups.

How do you account for the absorbed/lost tea? Or do I just need to quit worring about measuring the amount of water?

I am going to do some guessing here, but a cup is not always a cup.

Try pouring water into the drinking cups you want to use, then measure using a measuring cup. Multiply to get the amount of tea you want to brew.

There is this mythical 6 oz. cup idea in the heads of people who make coffee-makers. It really confuses things.

I am going to do some guessing here, but a cup is not always a cup.

Try pouring water into the drinking cups you want to use, then measure using a measuring cup. Multiply to get the amount of tea you want to brew.

There is this mythical 6 oz. cup idea in the heads of people who make coffee-makers. It really confuses things.

Bodum seems to think 4oz - my 32oz press is "8-cup".

+1 on starting with your drinking glass and working backward to the tea you need. I don't mean "my cup says 12oz on the bottom" I mean "I put the right amount of water in, poured it into a measuring cup, and it was 11oz".

OK, I think I know what I did. I measured 8 oz of water per cup, based on a mug my 10 yr old son uses (he wanted to try some) but used different cups for my wife and I which I believe I may have filled to full.

Being my first batch of tea, I immediately thought the leaves absorbed the water, not having ang real experience making tea for three.

Top Bottom