What's new

Rooney brush, 3 years old, wearing very fast

I couldn't figure out where all the hairs were coming from over the past six months on the surface of my soaps. Then I figured it out.

My Rooney, "Super" badger, has pretty well been my everyday brush from when I bought it new three years ago. After the last cleaning and letting it thoroughly dry, I noticed a big dimple in the middle. The hairs in the center have broken off at the top where they are blonde in colour, leaving behind shorter shafts of hair.

This brush has been cleaned every two months, GENTLY, (no Borax, water & vinegar, dish soap), and is left to dry upright in a well vented place.

I'm truly disappointed that a brush costing $100 plus shipping lasted only 3 years. I doubt I'll buy a Rooney again.

Last edited:
That's unfortunate, as my Rooney Super is 2 years old and I hope I don't have this to look forward to. What are your other brushes that have lasted longer if I may ask?

I have a Shavemac that is a little older, used about half as much, looks like the day I bought it.

Last edited:
That's unfortunate. Is there any chance that it's the same phenomenon as http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showpost.php?p=2681832&postcount=17 (Vulfix)?

If you bought it from Vintage Blades or Classic Shaving, perhaps they can have it replaced or re-knotted?

I hope my 3/1/S lasts longer. But a $75 brush with 3 years of daily shaving is about 7 cents per shave. That isn't terrible math, and I like the 3/1 handle so I would probably re-knot it.

Yes, that's exactly what is going on.

I bought it from Jim at Vintage Blades. It's no fault of the vendor, and although I have an electronic transaction record, I don't have the original box or receipt. I doubt anything could be done given it has been three years.

I don't see anywhere mentioned on this thread how the brush was handled, other than cleaning.

From the sounds of it, it looks like too much pressure was used when loading and/or when building lather.

My very first brush, a vulfix, did the same thing, but at the time I was using poor soaps and really abused the brush.

Would the OP like to elaborate on how much pressure is used, and whether or not he uses scrubbing or painting motions when loading and building lather.

Care for your brush is not only how you clean it, and store it but also how you use it on a daily basis.

See this is what happens when you use the same brush every day. :tongue_sm

I used my Tweezerman every day for about 1.5 years and it some hairs from the middle and still seems to be losing hairs that are not full length. There is a dimple in the middle as well though I thought this was oversplaying. I shall have a closer look tonight and see if the hairs are broken in the middle.

I used my Tweezerman every day for about 1.5 years and it some hairs from the middle and still seems to be losing hairs that are not full length. There is a dimple in the middle as well though I thought this was oversplaying. I shall have a closer look tonight and see if the hairs are broken in the middle.

Three most important words in wet shaving:

Rotation, Rotation, Rotation.

Out of interest have you been using it with boiling water?

I too would be annoyed spending $100 and it only lasting 3 years.

I dont buy into the rotation method. Surely companies manufacturing these brushes assume people shave everyday so design them to suit this purpose and amount of use?

Last edited:

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Hair shafts are organic and prone to breaking. If the hairs were pulling out at the knot I would point a finger at the manufacturer, but since they are breaking halfway down hard to blame Rooney. I would still call Rooney just in case they had a batch of "bad" hair and can give you some sort of remediation.
On the other hand, some one recent posted a pictue of their Vulfix with all the center hairs missing from years of mashing the brush into a towel for drying. Not saying the OP did this, just that other things can cause damage other than poor workmanship.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Call Jim at Vintageblades immediately and see what he suggests.

Also, maybe you're washing the brush a little too often.

I wash my brushes the second of every... Never. :biggrin:

I mean, I do put soap and water on them regularly so...

Yes, that's exactly what is going on.

I bought it from Jim at Vintage Blades. It's no fault of the vendor, and although I have an electronic transaction record, I don't have the original box or receipt. I doubt anything could be done given it has been three years.
Not true. Jim WILL do all he can to take care of it. Give him a try, he is an honest man, and will fervently approach Rooney for the fix.

Let him know, and then let us know.

Cheers!

Top Bottom