What's new

A Coticule After Setting the Bevel

I've had two Coticules and both were painfully slow. They were polishers but that's not what I wanted; I wanted something more aggressive. I swore Coticules off but I'm thinking about getting one again. I want a Coticule that I can use after setting the bevel. It should be able to remove the scratches left by the DMT or Shapton Pro and continue on to the finishing stage. What characteristics should it have? Thanks.

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
I couldnt give you characteristics per se, but I have two different coticules that i can hone after bevel start to finish using Bart's Dilucot method. I have a La Dressante Coticule and a La Petite Blanche Coticule. Both are able to do the job. Im sure as you know, naturals do have a bit of a learning curve, but I really think you wouldnt need a specific type of coticule. Any should do the job for you.

Get one from the fast side of la nouvelle vein, they are incredibly fast. Mine turns slurry black in about 10 halfstrokes, on water it polishes very nicely.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I've had two Coticules and both were painfully slow. They were polishers but that's not what I wanted; I wanted something more aggressive. I swore Coticules off but I'm thinking about getting one again. I want a Coticule that I can use after setting the bevel. It should be able to remove the scratches left by the DMT or Shapton Pro and continue on to the finishing stage. What characteristics should it have? Thanks.

What grit DMT and Shapton?

I've had three or four pass through my hands, and the only one, so far, I wouldn't recommend for bevel setting is the Le Verte. It's painfully slow, even with slurry. All the others I've tried could easily do what you're asking of them.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
DMT D8E #1200 and Shapton Pro #2000.

I'd think that's a pretty big jump from the 2K to the "unknown" grit of a slurried coti. I'm sure you can make it work, but you may have to play around with it for quite some time to get it right. When I jump from a chosera 3K to the coti, I find the same trouble.

Telly, The Les Lats are incredibly fast with slurry and also finish with a very mellow edge. Feels like shaving with a butter knife but the whiskers are gone. I also have a La Petite and it is very fast on slurry also. I have a couple La Dressante and they are middle of the road in all respects. If you go with The Les lat I find the Hybrid side to be faster than the typical coti side so make sure that side is usable.

I'd think that's a pretty big jump from the 2K to the "unknown" grit of a slurried coti. I'm sure you can make it work, but you may have to play around with it for quite some time to get it right. When I jump from a chosera 3K to the coti, I find the same trouble.
On the other hand, you can set the bevel and finish the razor with the coticule. I've done that once or twice, but nowadays, I typically go right to the coticule after setting the bevel on a 1200. But you're right - you have to read the stone.

Thanks for the help. I've been going through the Coticule Vault and the descriptions really clear things up. I'm probably going to reserve one of them.

My La Grise is an "average" La Grise & it removes DMT 600 scratches in a few minutes.
From start to finish I can often dilucot a hollow blade to shave-readiness in about 10 minutes.
Actually most coticules are fast enough to set a bevel.

My La Grise is an "average" La Grise & it removes DMT 600 scratches in a few minutes.
From start to finish I can often dilucot a hollow blade to shave-readiness in about 10 minutes.
Actually most coticules are fast enough to set a bevel.

1200dmt then coticule is not a big jump it easily takes over from there on. i've even followed with escher on slurry and that gave me a great shave to i used slurry on escher no water .

I've used a couple dozen coti's virtually interchangeably on slurry after a 1200 DMT. I've slurried both with a 225 DMT and a handful of varied slurry stones (so it isn't just a heavily garnet'ed slurry stone letting me do this). I'd suspect that if you find a coti too slow to follow a 3k stone then you just aren't raising enough slurry. If you get a real thick slurry raised, a coti will cut fast enough the slurry will go from white to black in few enough passes you could count them on one hand.

Top Bottom