What's new

What is the largest Rooney?

Not just knot size (assuming that would be the 3XL?) but including loft as well? Is it the 3 3?

I'm asking because a couple of my 30mm brushes have higher lofts (BLK12!) but all the Rooneys I've looked at seem to range just over 50mm.

I understand 50mm ish is a sweet spot for most but I was just wondering if they do (or ever did) make one with something like a 30mm knot closer to a 60mm loft? Now 'that's a brush!':thumbup:

Thanks guys!

Ken

Maybe this one...?

proxy.php

proxy.php

The two largest brushes I've owned are both rooney. One is a massively dense 26mm 3 band heritage, and the other is of course a Stubby Heritage XXXL (30mm).

The only models I can think that might be larger would be Urns and Beehives in size 3... if they existed. I can't find that size anywhere now.

edit: Looks like they don't exist according to compendium... so 3XL is the biggest of the big as far as I can tell. But the 26mm 3 band I have blooms a lot bigger (3 band vs 2 band = a lot more bloom).

Last edited:
The two largest brushes I've owned are both rooney. One is a massively dense 26mm 3 band heritage, and the other is of course a Stubby Heritage XXXL (30mm).

The only models I can think that might be larger would be Urns and Beehives in size 3... if they existed. I can't find that size anywhere now.

edit: Looks like they don't exist according to compendium... so 3XL is the biggest of the big as far as I can tell. But the 26mm 3 band I have blooms a lot bigger (3 band vs 2 band = a lot more bloom).

Yes they do, the XL is considered a limited edition of the stubby line..Check out the stubby in the compendium

so 3XL is the biggest of the big as far as I can tell. But the 26mm 3 band I have blooms a lot bigger (3 band vs 2 band = a lot more bloom).

yeah, I looked at the Stubby 3XL (well, on paper, anyway:biggrin1:), the knot size is perfect but it looks like a fairly short loft for that size knot...

Ken

Maybe this one...?

proxy.php

To the best of my knoledge the Rooney Finest Polo was the largest. When they were up on Classic Shaving some were 28mm x 65+mm loft. As for what is currently available I would say the Style 2 Size 3 is the biggest knot/loft. Some had 28mm knots and lofts in the mid 60's . It would be worth while to ask the vendor you choose for one with an extra tall loft. Rooneys have been known to very from brush to brush and some (especially the older ones) had note worthy variance.

proxy.php

Last edited:
+1. My NOS Rooney Finest from Classic is a 3/3, 70.5mm handle, 27.5mm knot with a 51mm loft. It's a real beast of a brush with a gorgeous knot. I've had 6-7 Finests pass through my hands over the past few years and this has got to be one of the densest Rooneys I've used. The knot is perfectly even which was also an issue with the Finests. The handle is super hefty and towers above everything on my shelf. It really IS a giant of a brush.

Rooneys have been known to very from brush to brush and some (especially the older ones) had note worthy variance.

proxy.php

Yikes...I had forgotten about that particular brush of Peters...he has a couple of them if I recall !! My largest Rooney would be a Finest 3/3 on steroids...the handle and knot are larger than specs while the loft is short...a face latherers dream!! The handle is really gigantic!

Here it is sandwiched between a Rooney Finest Style 1 Size 2 and a Finest Style 3 Size 1;
full

Here it is besides a Somerset Chubby 2 3-band Super;
full

Last edited by a moderator:
Yikes...I had forgotten about that particular brush of Peters...he has a couple of them if I recall !! My largest Rooney would be a Finest 3/3 on steroids...the handle and knot are larger than specs while the loft is short...a face latherers dream!! The handle is really gigantic!

Stunning Brother!:thumbup:

Well done!

Ken

Top Bottom