What's new

What do guys here think of Schick Injectors?

I like them. I have a couple of 1930s-1940s bakelite ones, and they are very good looking, well-designed razors. It's a shame that the blades are hard to find here in the UK because I think these are perfect for those wanting to switch from cartridge razors. The razors are easy to find cheaply on eBay, but the cost of importing injector blades makes them less than viable here.
With the two injectors that I have used, I've found the shave is not quite as close as with most of the DE razors I've used. However, a consequence of this is that the razors are safer, and I've yet to cut myself with one.

I like them. I have a couple of 1930s-1940s bakelite ones, and they are very good looking, well-designed razors. It's a shame that the blades are hard to find here in the UK because I think these are perfect for those wanting to switch from cartridge razors. The razors are easy to find cheaply on eBay, but the cost of importing injector blades makes them less than viable here.
With the two injectors that I have used, I've found the shave is not quite as close as with most of the DE razors I've used. However, a consequence of this is that the razors are safer, and I've yet to cut myself with one.

Here, here on the injector comments! I'm not in the UK at the moment but are there no chemists over there that stock the injector blades? It's too bad they are so hard to find. With respect to the shave not being as close I was wondering if you were doing enough passes. With the injectors I find I have to lighten my touch and do the following:

First a WTG pass,
then an XTG (E to W or whichever direction is most like the way your hair grows
in the WTG)
then another XTG (W to E or the opposite of the above)
and finally an ATG with a very light almost floating touch.

Slap on the AV after this and you'll soon learn a new meaning for the word exfoliate but it's worth it. REMEMBER to proceed with a light touch! This is imperative! Not only because the blade is thicker steel but also because you are making more passes and you don't wish to get irritated. Stay lathered and well hydrated between each pass. Also watch things like pimples or the like when shaving with an injector because they will whack it off quicker than you can blink. They don't know the meaning of a bump in the road trust me! :smile:

Here, here on the injector comments! I'm not in the UK at the moment but are there no chemists over there that stock the injector blades? It's too bad they are so hard to find. With respect to the shave not being as close I was wondering if you were doing enough passes. With the injectors I find I have to lighten my touch and do the following:

First a WTG pass,
then an XTG (E to W or whichever direction is most like the way your hair grows
in the WTG)
then another XTG (W to E or the opposite of the above)
and finally an ATG with a very light almost floating touch.

Slap on the AV after this and you'll soon learn a new meaning for the word exfoliate but it's worth it. REMEMBER to proceed with a light touch! This is imperative! Not only because the blade is thicker steel but also because you are making more passes and you don't wish to get irritated. Stay lathered and well hydrated between each pass. Also watch things like pimples or the like when shaving with an injector because they will whack it off quicker than you can blink. They don't know the meaning of a bump in the road trust me! :smile:

Thanks for the advice. I will try adding a pass (I currently do 3), and will experiment with a very light touch. Because the razors are very forgiving (or at least mine are, on my face) compared to most DEs, there is perhaps a tendency to do a slightly heavy touch (because you can!). The danger, as you suggest, is to do with burn/irritation, rather than actual cuts or nicks.

So far I haven't found any UK stores (online or not) that do injector blades. I think (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that the razors were not marketed here (although Schick and Wilkinson do seem to have collaborated on some things...).

The best option has been to get the blades from Holland. With them being so scarce here, any store that did stock them would be paying a lot for import anyway, so they'd probably end up just as expensive. When I have a bit more time on my hands I might look into sourcing some wholesale blades.

When I was a boy (early teens, I guess) I went to a barbers just around the corner from my aunts in York, England. He had an advert on his was for Schick Injectors, but I don't think he had any razor in stock. He sold blades, but whether that included injector blades, I cannot say.

When I was a boy (early teens, I guess) I went to a barbers just around the corner from my aunts in York, England. He had an advert on his was for Schick Injectors, but I don't think he had any razor in stock. He sold blades, but whether that included injector blades, I cannot say.

Which one of York's many gates was he closest to?

Which one of York's many gates was he closest to?
proxy.php

Micklegate Bar

A "bar" is a gate and a "gate" is a road!

Micklegate Bar is the gate into 'St Michael's Road', or as we say, "Micklegate".

proxy.php

Micklegate Bar

A "bar" is a gate and a "gate" is a road!

Micklegate Bar is the gate into 'St Michael's Road', or as we say, "Micklegate".

I know the Micklegate well! Is that the one with the Richard III exhibit in it or is that in another? Now that part I can't remember! :confused:

I've got 3 injectors : E type, J type and L type. There are great razors! I think E type is the most aggressive one but after a while, you get use to it.
Next step for me is to buy an adjustable one....

Dang... I got mine from an antique shop for twelve, and that was a markdown from fifteen dollars.

Made a pop in visit to a local flea market here on sunday and the first place I walked into I asked the fellow if he had nay razors. He had two blond injectors and two of the bakelite type razors. One of the bakelite razors looked a bit coroded to me but I took the other three, for a dollar!

I have been looking for one of the more modern injectors on ebay but was begining to think they were getting to much for them at 20-30 dollars and more for used ones. So the two longer handled blonds with gold head will suit my needs perfectly.

A week earlier I check at a local antique mall for injectors and the fellow only had one blonde bakelite model and the price tag was $37.5o and would not come down off that price. Glad I waited! H

Rick you weren't inserting the blade with your fingers were you?
Mantic where are you with the link to your video?

No. The way that the Push - Pull tab sits, my thumb, had it slipped would have gone across the blade. I hope that there was some crud in the blade area of the head requiring the added pressure to load the blade.

Rick you weren't inserting the blade with your fingers were you?

Mantic where are you with the link to your video?
What, you mean this one?
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQ52zoN5acU[/YOUTUBE]
Chica-boom-chica-bow-bow... :tongue:

--Mark

I've been using a 30's-40's Bakelite handled injector for the past two days, and what a fantastic shave! Found some USA-made Shick blades, and they are more than adequate for the purpose of removing stubble on my face. This really is an amazing little razor, and one I will definitely put into the rotation!

Top Bottom