What's new

Shaving with vintage blades

I picked up the following unopened boxes of blades today and I am wondering if they can be safely used to shave with like the spoilers?

- Gillette Thins (red and black box)
- Gillette Thins (white box)
- Gillette Camouflage blades
- Schaeffer gold blades (these say 'rust resisting' indicating stainless steel)

Thanks!

I think you can safely use them all. How good they will be is an open question. My guess as to the likelihood of a good shave (in order and without pics) is:

I guess a picture would help. All of the boxes are unopened. The red/black was still attached to the display board when I bought it so it hasn't exactly been stored away in a nice dry place. No telling what environmental conditions they have seen.

I am keen to try the Schaeffer blades though, mostly because gold blades appeal to me. But I am hesitant to be the first to open and use an otherewise excellent piece of history!

proxy.php

If you intend to try these out I would suggest using one of your adjustable razors on a low setting, 1 or 2. I enjoy using old blades and have found that an adjustable set low and the use of the "Gillette Slide" technique results in nice shaves with many of these old blades. Then, of course, there are some old blades that will just not work no matter what you try.

Just my $.02 ...
Keep 'em as they are, in their packages, and shave with something else, in current production.
-- Chet

Good idea! I will let everyone know in the razor blade forum how it goes, when I get around to trying one of them. Thanks!

Just my $.02 ...
Keep 'em as they are, in their packages, and shave with something else, in current production.
-- Chet

I would but I have this strange urge to use everything I have at least once...does that make sense? I would never be a successful collector, I guess

The white box is the most recent of that bunch....If you open it, please post the date.

I am still using some Personna for now. I don't like to switch to new blades from shave to shave because I like trying the same blade in different razors. Tomorrow morning I will use the slim for the first time. Which reminds me, what setting would be equivalent to a Tech? I have been using a Tech the past couple of weeks and I really like the mildness.

The white box is the most recent of that bunch....If you open it, please post the date.
I've got some of the Thins in the white box - dated 1976 - and they are entirely useable. Give as good a shave as a modern blade and last for three or four shaves. They need to be looked after because they are carbon steel and even though they are coated they deteriorate quicker than a modern blade. I find them enjoyably different to a stainless blade.

I have some Thins in the red and black box also but they're a different matter.

Top Bottom