What's new

fat boy problem

i need an adjustable tip also. i won a fatboy off of ebay. i was cleaning it by giving it a good soak. now it won't adjust. it is locked down tight on the 1 setting. any advive on how to free it up?

Its possible that some of the gunk in the handle has swelled up.
Have you boiled it yet? a good 20 minutes or so may take care of it as well as a baby oil bath over night. Try the boil first thou.
Good luck-

i'll try to boil it. should i use plain water. by the way i got it in a lot of 9 razors for only $20. thanks

Also shoot lighter fluid and WD-40, down shaft, end of handle, all around the TTO seam handle and in adjuster both ends. Let sit for 5 minutes. That should free it up a bit, turn adjuster back and forth, spray adjuster once more.

I got a Vision off of ebay ( a razor not an epiphany) and the adjustment ring was frozen. I soaked it in a tub of scrubbing bubbles and then in mineral oil. It freed up and functions perfectly. Good luck with your Fatboy.

i need an adjustable tip also. i won a fatboy off of ebay. i was cleaning it by giving it a good soak. now it won't adjust. it is locked down tight on the 1 setting. any advive on how to free it up?

Uhh....this might be a stupid question.......

Since it is a fat boy......are you adjusting it with the doors open or closed?

Because it won't adjust with them closed!

I had the same problem with a Slim. I sprayed a load of WD-40 into it and let it set for an hour. Then cleaned it as I normally do (boil for ten minutes, clean and mineral oil it)) and it worked like new. And like the man said, the silo doors have to be open when you adjust it.

won't adjust open either in this case. lol
What's the date code on the Fat Boy? If it's E or F, then you should be able to unscrew the nut in the bottom and take it apart for cleaning. If it's G, then you can't. The boiling sounds like the first thing, in any case.

crazy thing it froze up after a cleaning in the ultrasonic cleaner. i didn't do anything to it and it was working fine this morning. yes they do adjust with the doors closed. it isn't recomended with a blade loaded because it doesn't adjust properly.

Michael
Can you give us an update? How are you making out with this project,have you sorted it out yet?

yup i've got it working. didn;t have to do a thing. haven't shaved with it yet. i'm not a huge fan of the fatboys. i did try out the 40's model ss. it was great one of the best shaves i have ever had. i can't believe i got both razors plus 7 others for only $20+ s&h.

Uhh....this might be a stupid question.......

Since it is a fat boy......are you adjusting it with the doors open or closed?

Because it won't adjust with them closed!

Both my Fat Boy and Slim adjust with the doors either opened or closed.

They can adjust w/ the doors closed, it's just more stressful on the razor and its guts. Eventually this may lead to problems like the uneven blade gaps you see in a lot of adjustables. Some people have issues w/ it, some don't.

Top Bottom