What's new

recommendation for Simpson brush?

I think it's time to add a Simpson brush to my shaving equipment.

I have a Rooney 1/1 and a Rooney 2/1, and a few more misc. brushes.
My favorite is the 1/1, it's just the right size and scrubbiness for me.
I face lather with either vintage Old Spice soap or Geo F. Trumpers soap.

Any advice on which Simpsons might be similar in size/loft to the Rooney 1/1? Perhaps the Case?

I have several Simpson brushes which I really like. However, if forced to keep just one, I would keep my Chubby1 in 2-band Super. It is a small, but excellent brush. It works great with soaps, and the 2-band hair has excellent backbone with nice softness on the face.

I think it's time to add a Simpson brush to my shaving equipment.

I have a Rooney 1/1 and a Rooney 2/1, and a few more misc. brushes.
My favorite is the 1/1, it's just the right size and scrubbiness for me.
I face lather with either vintage Old Spice soap or Geo F. Trumpers soap.

Any advice on which Simpsons might be similar in size/loft to the Rooney 1/1? Perhaps the Case?

From the B&B Brush Compendium:

Rooney 1/1
Simpson Case

If you like scrubbiness, Simpson brushes in Best hair will do well by you. The Case is significantly smaller than the 1/1. The following Simpsons would likely be comparable in dimensions to the 1/1:

Chubby 1
Classic 1
Colonel
Duke 2

Of these, I have used the Classic 1, and it is a very dense, scrubby brush that excels with soaps and face lathering.

If you like small brushes try the Harvard 1 and/or the Wee Scot. I love both-they perform like a big brush with all the advantages of a small one.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Duke 3 Best, Colonel X2L Best and Classic 2 Best. Three amazing brushes for face lathering soaps, with excellent backbone, soft tip and nice scrubby feeling.

My favorite is the Chubby 1, which is similar in size to the Rooney 1/1 but will feel more substantial. The 2 band super offers backbone with soft tips - a good scrubber. The 3 band super is quite soft with a big bloom - very nice.

The Classic and Duke ranges will also be a good fit for what you are looking for.

Go for the Duke 3.

I just got mine yesterday and so far, it could be the one-and-only.

The other 5 that I am comparing it to are:

Simpsons Commodore X3 <---Fairly new
New Forest 2211 <--- Fairly new
Rooney 3/1 <---Well used
Shavemac D01 <---Very well used
TGN Finest 2-Band <---well used

My Duke measures in at 49mm so that contributes to its backbone, and it's wonderfully soft.

very happy with my Duke 2 here. Next on my list is a Chubby 1. I think either would be worth considering.

Top Bottom