What's new

QED Shaving soap Lathering pictorial

I decided to compose a little pictorial of lathering with QED soap, as Ravi and a few other have had problems. I started by using the Rooney Silvertip as mentioned earlier - a few swirls with the Rooney - and lather up the yin yang. Then I stopped and thought about the brush Ravi was using - a Vulfix #2236.

Well I knew it wouldn't help much to post tons of pics of the Rooney making incredible lather - so I had a new thought... the Rooney, Shavemac and Simpsons Polo 12 I have are all incredibly densly packed, which is why I like them SO much more than Vulfix brushes - and why I feel they work so well.

With this knowledge in hand, I decided to break out the Simpsons Persian Jar 2 (super) and lather up some QED soap. My suspicions were correct, and I got **** poor lather, and really had to dink around to get something nice. I then used the Shavemac and took pics as well to show you the comparison.

While I know the PJ2 is smaller than the Rooney and the Shavemac - that did not seem to be the limiting factor. The lack of a tightly packed knot seemed to make even the stiffer than vulfix bristles really splay out (which dumps out all the water making it useless) and disabled it from picking up the proper amount of soap..... very interesting.

PJ2 next to QED Espresso soap
P1010061.JPG

Soaking the PJ2
P1010062.JPG

Letting the H20 drip out...
P1010063.JPG

P1010064.JPG

A few Swirls and I got nuttin'
P1010065.JPG

15-20 swirls (you can see there is plenty of water there and it is not overly ladden)
P1010066.JPG

When applying pressure and trying to "work" the soap as I would with my other brushes, the PJ2 immediatly mushrooms out (long bristles, not densly packed) and is just about worthless.
P1010067.JPG

Finally after working the hell out of the poor QED soap, and making an obvious dent on the soap (more than I would use in a week or so with one of my other LARGER brushes) I make some progress
P1010068.JPG

20 Swirls in the bowl.... not much happinin'
P1010069.JPG

Adding some more H20..
P1010070.JPG

Water added to the bowl...
P1010071.JPG

The brush when worked in the bowl with water added still didn't do much. When feeling/inspecting the brush, it was evident there was plenty of soap in it, and there was NOT too much water in the mix... ONCE I then again lightly worked the QED soap, then worked it progressively harder did I get some decent lather...
P1010072.JPG

Working it in the bowl...
P1010073.JPG

I got "good" lather from the QED soap, but it didn't really excite me, was a pain in the ***, and I was wholly underwhelmed. Thelarge Vulfix #41 I had worked ok with QED soap, but once I got the shavemac it REALLY exploded and became so magical. To be fair, the Polo 12 works wonderfully with QED soap as well. I am quite curious how well (or poor) a Plisson would do with QED Essentials.

Here is the same soap, right after the PJ2 fiasco, with a Shavemac XXL Horn handled brush.

Soak..
P1010074.JPG

Shake....
P1010075.JPG

Preparing to build lather...
P1010076.JPG

7 Swirls in the soap (probably should have done 5)...
P1010077.JPG

5 swirls in bowl
P1010078.JPG

10 swirls in bowl...
P1010079.JPG

From the top...
P1010080.JPG

Packing density, Shavemac left, Simpsons Right
P1010081.JPG

All hail shavemac! :D

I have a savile row sr12t best badger (30mm) and a (24mm) vulfix 2235 super badger. which one would you recommend for the qed soap?

Whichever one of stiffer and more dense. I had more problems lathering QED soaps with my Vulfix 2234, but once I got my Shavemac 220 ... well the above results speak for themselves and I echo them.

Obsessis,

If you haven't already, scroll down a bit further here in the Pics & Vids forum and check out the Glycerin Soap Tutorial, parts I and II, by Scotto.

Randy

Can someone tell me where I can buy some QED shaving soap?

Have been using creme to date and would like to try soap to see if there is a difference!

Alan

Will be going to the States in July flying to New York I think I will have to go on a shaving shopping trip,dont know if the wife will be pleased!!!

Thanks Alan

I just tried using my QED grapefruit and peppermint this morning and it was a disaster.

After reading this thread and Scotto's 2 part glycerin thread I came home and produced some amazing lather with the same soap. I cleaned up all the stubble this mornings shave missed.

Thanks for posting this!

I just tried using my QED grapefruit and peppermint this morning and it was a disaster.

After reading this thread and Scotto's 2 part glycerin thread I came home and produced some amazing lather with the same soap. I cleaned up all the stubble this mornings shave missed.

Thanks for posting this!

What an excellent way to resurrect an old thread. Good for you. :thumbup1:

Welcome to B&B!

Thanks for posting this!

Nicely done!

Top Bottom