What's new

Zephyr's straight shave journey

I'll let my face rest for a day or two, using a DE, and then it's back to straights, I like it too much to let a small setback worry me.

Zephyr, I was looking at your Nov acquisitions post and I think you and I are just about in the same phase of our shaving journey, right down to picking up some of the same type of equipment recently.

I am actually taking a couple day break from straight shaving, waiting for a recently honed knife to arrive and letting my face relax a bit.

Anyway, just here to give some moral support since we are in the same boat. :001_smile

Nothing wrong with taking a quick break... I'm sure you are as excited as I am about your next attempt.

We can do this!!! :thumbup:

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Thanks Luc, I know, it's just that the previous shaves has gone by almost without any blood, and then getting five "big" nicks and a small cut on the same shave irritates me, probably some of the reason is that the previous shaves has been that good, so I might have been a bit too confident, and not focused enought.
I'll let my face rest for a day or two, using a DE, and then it's back to straights, I like it too much to let a small setback worry me.

That's the spirit. Making mistakes . . .hopefully small. . . . is how we learn.

I look forward to seeing how you are doing . . .going forward.

I know how you feel Zephyr.

We are journeying along this Straight path together. With each nick I get a little frustrated and try to learn why I got the nick. Each nick, each stroke is one step closer to getting it right.

Taking breaks is a great way to step back and reflect on how things are going.

Thanks for the support guys :thumbup:

It was a strange feeling to shave with a DE today, kinda didn't feel right, funny how the mind works just one week of straight shaving, and my mind wants to strech the skin.
The sad part is that I actually had a VERY good shave, probably one of the best ever, makes me question my decision about straight shaving :confused1

But there is something appealing about straight shaving, and I know that I will conquer it, after all I think I have done reasonably well so far (and I just bought another straight) :001_rolle

If the face feels good tomorrow I'm back to straight, if not, I might do it anyway, I just do enjoy it too much :001_smile

It was a strange feeling to shave with a DE today, kinda didn't feel right, funny how the mind works just one week of straight shaving, and my mind wants to strech the skin.
The sad part is that I actually had a VERY good shave, probably one of the best ever, makes me question my decision about straight shaving :confused1

I had the same experience shaving with my DE earlier today... I found though, that I was thinking about how I could apply good habits from my DE shaving to my straight shaving. For example, I used a XTG stroke to touch up a tough patch under my chin, and realized that I had been trying to do the same spot ATG when I touched up with my straight. So next time I use my straight I will go XTG in that spot, because I know from my, more experienced, DE shaving that it works better.

Anyway, I guess my point is that I don't think it is necessarily a bad thing for us to alternate a bit because it can offer some new perspective.

I had the same experience shaving with my DE earlier today... I found though, that I was thinking about how I could apply good habits from my DE shaving to my straight shaving. For example, I used a XTG stroke to touch up a tough patch under my chin, and realized that I had been trying to do the same spot ATG when I touched up with my straight. So next time I use my straight I will go XTG in that spot, because I know from my, more experienced, DE shaving that it works better.

Anyway, I guess my point is that I don't think it is necessarily a bad thing for us to alternate a bit because it can offer some new perspective.

Funny thing, I did exactly the same but I didn't think of it in that perspective untill now.

Two words to describe this shave: Smooth, great!

Just a VERY good shave, almost as good as yesterday's DE shave:biggrin1:
A smooth almost DFS shave, no cuts and no burn at all, just a tiny little nick on my chin, a great confidence lift from Sunday!

Grattis Rune!

I had much the same experience, around shaves 7 and 8 it somehow clicked and I started making huge progress.

Two words to describe this shave: Smooth, great!

Just a VERY good shave, almost as good as yesterday's DE shave:biggrin1:
A smooth almost DFS shave, no cuts and no burn at all, just a tiny little nick on my chin, a great confidence lift from Sunday!

Awesome, Zephyr! You are inspiring me! :thumbup:

What would you say was the difference? What elements of this particular shave made things work so well for you?

Awesome, Zephyr! You are inspiring me! :thumbup:

What would you say was the difference? What elements of this particular shave made things work so well for you?

Thanks! :blush:

First of all I used Vulfix Sandalwood cream, which makes a great slick lather, but what made the big difference I think is that I think I found the right angle, focused on the pressure and that I used shorter strokes and faster strokes than before. To have a little speed on the blade when attacking the whiskers made the blade cut much smoother.

Tried to copy yesterdays shave as much as possible, except that I used Speick SC today.
It more or less worked out, just as close and smooth, and no burn, but I got a couple of small nicks, didn't notice until I put on the alcohol based AS!

Another pretty great shave, untill I got to the chin, I don't know what happened, but for some kind of reason I got distracted and put the blade in a 90 degree to the place where the lower lip goes over to the chin, didn't feel a thing, just saw the edge dissapear about 2mm into my skin.
Finished the shave with a little more caution, smooth and nice except of the cut, and when I put on Tabac AS, NO sting at all (kept away from the cut) :biggrin1:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Another pretty great shave, untill I got to the chin, I don't know what happened, but for some kind of reason I got distracted and put the blade in a 90 degree to the place where the lower lip goes over to the chin, didn't feel a thing, just saw the edge dissapear about 2mm into my skin.
Finished the shave with a little more caution, smooth and nice except of the cut, and when I put on Tabac AS, NO sting at all (kept away from the cut) :biggrin1:

Not too serious I hope?

Always try to keep the pressure at a minimum when you do those tricky areas...

Not too serious I hope?

Always try to keep the pressure at a minimum when you do those tricky areas...

Nah, just a small clean cut, about 5-6 mm wide and 2-3mm deep, it has already closed up so it's almost invisible, just a thin pink line. Nothing worse than that I'm back again tomorrow, hopefully I get my new straight aswell.:biggrin1:

Didn't have any pressure at all, it was just the weight of the blade, it just sunk into the skin when it touched the skin, says a lot of how sharp it actually is and how careful one should be.

Nah, just a small clean cut, about 5-6 mm wide and 2-3mm deep, it has already closed up so it's almost invisible, just a thin pink line. Nothing worse than that I'm back again tomorrow, hopefully I get my new straight aswell.:biggrin1:

I cut myself during my second straight shave, above my lip. Just as you described... it didn't hurt at all, but it did bleed a good bit.

They seem to heal pretty quick... it was gone in a couple days, if that makes you feel any better. :001_smile

*edit* Also, what is the new straight razor you are getting?

It's been a busy week, so I was pretty excited about todays shave with a three days growth, haven't had a beard that long in months.

Todays setup:

full

Got this beautiful brush today, made by fellow member Gamma!:thumbup:
New straight aswell, 5/8 Hamburg Ring.

Now the important part, the shave!

As I said I was pretty excited about todays shave, attacking three days growth, but I think I might have hit a magic spot today.
I decreased the angle a little compared from my earlier shaves, I also paid a lot attention not to put any pressure on the blade and did a two pass WTG, had to do a little touch up on the underside of left jawbone, no nicks, no cuts, no burn, just a very smooth and close shave, I'm a really happy man right now :biggrin1:

That's a classy SOD!:thumbup1:

Last edited by a moderator:
Got some new stuff today:

full

SRD 3" Red Latigo/canvas strop, Tuckmar 3/4, Krauss 3/4, New Scales for the Krauss, and a Nabob 11/16 that arrived on friday.

Gave the Tuckmar a shot today, and had THE best straight shave by now, a really smooth DFS with no burn or irritation.:biggrin1:

Here's what I used today:

full

I really think that the Vulfix Sandalwood is underestimated, it makes a really slick and creamy lather, sothens the beard really well, and smells great!

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom