What's new

Medical Prep Personna

So far I have used these blades in a FB, Slim adjustable, and Mergress. In each I am able to get 6 shaves per blade - which is a lot for me. Each shave has been excellent.

I periodically go back and try another brand of blade - but this will be my go to for a long time. :001_smile

I too would like to try a couple before I buy 100 blades. I am willing to pay shipping or will contribute to this website. Thanks, Mike

Heck I did the right thing anyway and became a contributor. This website has been and is so valuable to me. Thanks to the originators!

Are these really much different to Red IP's ?

I found them to be similar to the Red IPs. Two main differences: (1) I find them a bit smoother and (2) I get one or two more shaves out of them. On the smoothness scale I would rate the Red IPs at 9.5 and the Medical Prep a 10. Both are excellent blades.

I had a weird and frustrating shave that turned out pretty good with one this morning. I could hear it cutting, wasn't pulling or irritating or anything, but took a lot of passes to get it all... Wound up with a very CCS/BBS out of it in the end... Just took more touch ups and buffing than I anticipated.

I found them to be similar to the Red IPs. Two main differences: (1) I find them a bit smoother and (2) I get one or two more shaves out of them.

That's odd. I agree with (1), but I was surprised that I only got 2-3 good shaves out of them. Difference may be beard, skin, technique, lather, etc. I'd guess. They are very smooth for the first 2 shaves, though.

Compared (and considering price/shave) vs. the Red Israelis - the Reds win in my book. I think that even weighed against price, the Iridiums are a better shave and deal. While I like the Iridiums better overall, that's certainly not saying anything bad about the Medical Personnas, and for those in the U.S. the medical Personna are made here.

Last edited:
That's odd. I agree with (1), but I was surprised that I only got 2-3 good shaves out of them. Difference may be beard, skin, technique, lather, etc. I'd guess. They are very smooth for the first 2 shaves, though.

Compared (and considering price/shave) vs. the Red Israelis - the Reds win in my book. I think that even weighed against price, the Iridiums are a better shave and deal. While I like the Iridiums better overall, that's certainly not saying anything bad about the Medical Personnas, and for those in the U.S. the medical Personna are made here.

The Iridiums are a good blade but at $34 for 100 (plus shipping) are actually about $9 more expensive than the Personna Medical Blades. And for me, the Iridiums are not as smooth.

PIFing 2 to Pulley.

I tried one yesterday and they are ok, similar in smoothness to Iridium but not as sharp.

After pass 1 yesterday, I rinsed my face to get a feel for how much stubble was left. There was still quite a lot, more than after an Iridium and far more than after a Feather

My personal favorite is Feathers.

As always YMWV.

I got the blades Bit2 sent me. I will try them this weekend and I will post my results. It's going to be tough for them because for this week I am using NOS Shick Platinum Plus...

I guess I am one of those guys who is willing to do a 4th pass if I get a nice smooth BBS shave. Yes, I can remove more stubble with a Feather on the first pass- but if I want a BBS shave I still have to go for 4 passes and then it is not as smooth. Plus, for me I can only get two shaves with a Feather so it becomes a rather expensive blade.

What I found rather interesting was that some shavers are taking the same blade out of a razor and putting the used blade in a new razor. I never do this. I keep the same blade in the same razor and on shave with it until I feel it is no longer smooth or sharp. With that method I am getting six to seven shaves on the Personna Medical Prep, up to five shaves with Personna Red, and at most two to three shaves with Feather. Whenever I test a blade I keep it in the same razor for the duration of the shave. I want to keep the variables as close as I can so I can judge each blade on its own. I shave with the same razor and then move on with one new blade of the same kind in another razor. Usually, I use three to five razors (Mergress, FB, Slim, and on some occasions a Knack or Tech). However, the first three are in my normal rotation. What I have discovered -much to my surprise - is that if I like a blade in one razor it will work in all. For example, no matter what razor I use I can't get more than 2-3 shaves with a Feather. After that I get some irritation. Other blades such as the Russian Yellow Gillette, Personna Red, Iridiums, or Derbies all give me the same quantity and quality of shaves no matter what razor I use. Perhaps it is because I have become accustomed to each razor since I have been using the same ones for some time.

On the other hand, if I have a bad experience with a blade I will drop it for a while until my face feels better and then will try it in another razor. I have done this, for example, with Crystal and Gillette Black blades and have discovered that they don't work for me in two different razors so I just move on. To give the blade the benefit of the doubt I try them in. my Mergress and either a FB or Slim.

But, as the saying goes, what ever works for you.

Jim, I took your comments to heart yesterday with these Personna.

It was my 2nd shave with the Personna in a Tech, and I see what you mean.
The 1st pass still left quite a bit of stubble, but after pass 3, I had a close to BBS shave with no weepers, cuts, or nicks.

With that in mind, I will have to re-evaluate these.

Thanks,

Day one great shave, very smooth, nice blade.

Day two good shave, smooth, but lots of extra work getting all stubble

Day three, so-so shave and too much work to get smooth lots of stubble at bedtime.

So far the Astra and Feathers are the best for me with the Astras winning out on being smooth on all three days I use the blade while the Feather isn't as smooth on day one.

I have nine blades left so I may try it again.

I want to thank you for the medical blades...they are as you described , 100% , and yes ! I achieved 7 shaves !! the 7th was a little rugged,but I did complete a nice shave..this certainly americas finest blade...

american razor in virginia cranks out a few more under different brand names for 99 cent stores etc.,they also make the regular red pack personnas
Yes, ASR manufactures several brands, Personnas and others. But, despite the fact that they're an American company, they don't actually manufacture the blades in the US. The most popular Personnas are made in Israel. I may be wrong, but I believe that the Medical Prep Personnas are the only DE blades actually manufactured in the US. It's the only brand I've seen so marked, and I personally own over 50 brands. (Über sampler, anyone? :laugh: Still looking for "the one!" :001_rolle).

Yes, ASR manufactures several brands, Personnas and others. But, despite the fact that they're an American company, they don't actually manufacture the blades in the US. The most popular Personnas are made in Israel. I may be wrong, but I believe that the Medical Prep Personnas are the only DE blades actually manufactured in the US. It's the only brand I've seen so marked, and I personally own over 50 brands. (Über sampler, anyone? :laugh: Still looking for "the one!" :001_rolle).

These bulk pack blue Personna, also made in the USA, are all over the bay and I have also seen them at the local barber supply. They are probably the same blade without the extra QC that makes them Med Personnas. I have never tried them so I can't compare to the Meds.

Top Bottom