What's new

The AeroPress Thread

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
You know JP, when you're right, you're right. After trying various formulations of grinds and water, I finally got me the best cuppa coffee. I follow the school of thought for an 11 oz. cuppa coffee wherein I boil the water, put 2 level scoops of coffee in the chamber, wet the grinds, stir for 15 seconds, then add a little less water (just about half of the #2 tube), press for about 20-30 seconds. I add more water to dilute it which provides me with a smoother coffee. Why did I wait? Now I just have to figure out which type of grind provides the best flavor, or does it matter? The particular Green Mountain beans were finely ground. What do you guys suggest regarding grind and coffee. I'm still new on the coffee scene and have been using Green Mountain Breakfast Blend, which is fine, but I could be a little bolder. I'm open to suggestions.

I've learned that a courser grind simply means a longer steeping time before pressing. A really fine grind means that I have to press more slowly with more pressure. This gadget really seems to be designed for an espresso grind.

Just ordered mine from liquidplanet (they're having a sale through friday for "members", but it takes 5 seconds to become a member.) I figure if I trust all of you guys so much with shave advice (and the gobs I've spent on THAT), then I can take this $25 plunge with very little hesitation. And I'm just tired of drinking the bitter swill they serve at work.

Just ordered mine from liquidplanet (they're having a sale through friday for "members", but it takes 5 seconds to become a member.) I figure if I trust all of you guys so much with shave advice (and the gobs I've spent on THAT), then I can take this $25 plunge with very little hesitation. And I'm just tired of drinking the bitter swill they serve at work.

Even the bitter swill at work gets better when run through an AeroPress instead of the coffee machine.

I received my Aeropress on Saturday, and all I can say is "wow"! I am sure as heck drinking a lot more coffee now that it tastes this good. Started me thinking about some of those analogy questions on the SATs. Maybe they need one like:
BLANK is to drip-style coffee machine as DE Razor is to cartridge razor

I have been very pleased with mine. I use it at work to make two cups every morning. One of the best things ever to happen for single cup brewing.

I never heard of the AeroPress before tonight. I just read this entire thread. How did this thing fly under my radar for so long? My poor Gaggia has been dying a slow death and I've dreaded the thought of trying to source a replacement pump. (Can't complain too much; I got the machine for $30 at a junk shop several years ago and it's worked quite well until the spring inside the vibration pump broke.) A shop on my way to work is listed as being an AeroPress retailer. Guess where I'm stopping tomorrow morning?

I never heard of the AeroPress before tonight. I just read this entire thread. How did this thing fly under my radar for so long? My poor Gaggia has been dying a slow death and I've dreaded the thought of trying to source a replacement pump. (Can't complain too much; I got the machine for $30 at a junk shop several years ago and it's worked quite well until the spring inside the vibration pump broke.) A shop on my way to work is listed as being an AeroPress retailer. Guess where I'm stopping tomorrow morning?

So how did your first experience work out this morning after you bought the Aeropress and rushed home? :thumbup:

So how did your first experience work out this morning after you bought the Aeropress and rushed home? :thumbup:

I stopped in, and they said they haven't stocked it since Christmas! Didn't sound like they were getting any more in, either. :mad: There's another place listed a couple towns farther down the road; maybe I can get there tomorrow.

I stopped in, and they said they haven't stocked it since Christmas! Didn't sound like they were getting any more in, either. :mad: There's another place listed a couple towns farther down the road; maybe I can get there tomorrow.

I got mine through Amazon pretty quickly.

Okay, I just came home with the AeroPress. I immediately (well, I washed it first) made just a double shot. Not bad. It's not espresso, but I knew that, so I'm not holding that against it. Then I made a cuppa Americano, and I'm drinking it right now. (I drink everything black, even Turkish coffee. Only exception is iced coffee for some reason.) Pretty darned good. I can see I may have to experiment a bit, but I hit pretty close right off the bat.

I have to say, too, I'm used to, when things are made easier (instant coffee, instant miso, canned shave cream, Spaghettio's, etc.), they're also made not as good. You accept the trade-off: ease of preparation and not quite as good an experience. That's not the case here. I can make a good cup of coffee faster, easier, and better, and the clean-up is a snap (which I guess means I can spend less time in the morning making espresso or coffee, and more time shaving!:biggrin: ). Thank you, Alan!

After living with this thing for a couple of days, I'm finding the coffee is almost too smooth. I need to bring back a stronger flavor and just a touch of the bitterness. Any recommendations? Finer grind? Hotter watter? Longer steep? (FWIW, I've been using up my espresso beans and will probably try a different roast as soon as I can get to the coffee shop.)

After living with this thing for a couple of days, I'm finding the coffee is almost too smooth. I need to bring back a stronger flavor and just a touch of the bitterness. Any recommendations? Finer grind? Hotter watter? Longer steep? (FWIW, I've been using up my espresso beans and will probably try a different roast as soon as I can get to the coffee shop.)

You could always try pushing more hot water past the grinds by filling the cylinder with more water. My understanding is that the bitterness is on the "inside" of the grind and the extra water might pick that up as you force it through the beans. Not that I would do this - loving my smooth coffee!

You could always try pushing more hot water past the grinds by filling the cylinder with more water. My understanding is that the bitterness is on the "inside" of the grind and the extra water might pick that up as you force it through the beans. Not that I would do this - loving my smooth coffee!

I agree...if you just add a bit more water at a time you will find exactly what you are looking for. I think a finer grind will produce similar results.

Hotter water will definitely put some 'bite' into the coffee. Just nuke the water to boiling right inside the plunger body, then proceed as usual.

Wayne, who has entirely too many coffee gizmos

Hotter water will definitely put some 'bite' into the coffee. Just nuke the water to boiling right inside the plunger body, then proceed as usual.

I fear that the rubber on the plunger will deteriorate over time in the microwave, and the plastic may not be microwave safe (as in chemicals leaching into the water).

Top Bottom