What's new

Cedar EDC/EDT Recommendations?

I searched, but didn't quite find the answer I was hoping to nuance; so, with the obligatory slap-me-with-a-fish-if-I-missed-it apologies...

My wife likes the scent of cedar (a lot). Obvious conclusion: I need a cedar-based EDC/EDT. Happily, she concurs.

The Problem: I don't have a strong sense of smell, so I primarily wear EDC/EDTs to please her. I can't really go pick one myself, and can't really appreciate when someone says "base notes of X, transitioning to..." I really need for my wife to smell it on me. So, I'm essentially ordering blind, so to speak, if I can't buy local.

Canya help?

Additional information: My wife also likes Sandalwood on me (a lot), so blends of Sandal- and Cedarwood would (presumably) be OK.

I'd be especially interested if anyone's had good luck with some of our boutique makers' cedarwood EDCs or EDTs. The search I made previously, as I recall, turned up some apparently solid higher-end recommendations; but again, for something that's got to pass the in-person test, I'd prefer to gamble lower-cost first and then build from there.

Thanks!

Not so sure what to rec for cedar. I love Rose 31, which I gather has a cedar base that in time becomes the dominant aspect of the scent, but there's a lot more going on there. The cedar scents treat the cedar in many different ways.

Gucci Pour Homme gets referenced a lot for being very "woody" smelling like pencil shavings, though I just looked at the profile and it doesn't list cedar.

Comme des Garcons seems to specialize in wood scents....many odd specialty scents. Check out their stuff. They do wood smells well and usually quite prominently so.

For sandalwood, Bois du Portugal is a classic. Also MPG Santal Noble an ultimate sandalwood scent.

Some too love AOS Sandalwood. I find it a bit medicinal, but it is a good potent sandalwood scent.

I think many here in here love one of the Trumpers for sandalwood. Someone else will weigh in.

Last edited:
Ditpyque Tam Dao - a pretty potent blend of cedar and sandalwood, liked by many (I am not one of them but I have an aversion to ISO E Super, a particular common perfumery ingredient present in Tam Dao as well).

Penhaligon's Opus 1870 - almost straight-up cedarwood scent, same caveat as above.

Gucci Pour Homme (the new version) - very strong, if somewhat synthetic smelling, cedarwood scent, often described as "nothing but pencil shavings" but it's got a lot more going on. Probably best in cool and cold weather.

My personal favourite cedar note is contained in Creed's Windsor, this one has a very subtle rose/cedar/eucalyptus opening and dries down the absolutely most natural and clean cedar without any ISO E Super which is almost always used in cedar-heavy fragrances. Windsor is one of the very few frags in my wardrobe which has the official "girlfriend approved" seal.

Terre d'Hermes has cedar as part of its dry-down. It starts off with orange and grapefruit notes with undertones of flint, earth and cedar.

L'Occitane Cedar is very nice.

* the vibrant, luxurious freshness of the Cedar forest
* the green, crispy scents of wood sap
* the character of a noble essence

If you like I would be happy to send you a decant to try.

Last edited:
Jo Malone makes:
Sweet Lime & Cedar

Their description: Sweet Lime & Cedar perfectly balances zesty fruits with fragrant, aromatic leaves, delicate flowers, spices, and nutty woods.

Only if she likes lime too.

Comme des Garcons seems to specialize in wood scents....many odd specialty scents. Check out their stuff. They do wood smells well and usually quite prominently so.

CdG's Vettiveru is cedar and vetiver. Although I think it's only EdC, it's reasonably priced and comes in a huge bottle. Smells great.

Wow, folks around here know their stuff. Tam Dao sounds perfect for you. Lots of threads on sandlewood if you run a search. Too much to cover for me here. Agree that SL Santal Noble is wonderful. Creed Bois de Santal, too.

I haven't tried L'Occitane's Cedar but would like to. Their Eau de L'Occitan is a nice ceder scent though. It opens with black pepper and lavender but quickly moves to a strongly cedar scent for me. The pepper and lavender come and go and are joined by some burnt wood as it dries down but there's always a really nice backbone of cedar. Put this on this morning around 7:30, it's almost 11PM and I still get some cedar on my wrists now. Really nice for the price.

I had though the Cedar EDT was discontinued...

To add to this I always thought Trumpers GFT cologne had a strong cedar & fern blend.
I agree the Hermes Terre d'Hermes has cedar, but I've found the burnt orange to overpower it and distract from the base too much.

I haven't tried L'Occitane's Cedar but would like to. Their Eau de L'Occitan is a nice ceder scent though. It opens with black pepper and lavender but quickly moves to a strongly cedar scent for me. The pepper and lavender come and go and are joined by some burnt wood as it dries down but there's always a really nice backbone of cedar. Put this on this morning around 7:30, it's almost 11PM and I still get some cedar on my wrists now. Really nice for the price.

Additional information: My wife also likes Sandalwood on me (a lot), so blends of Sandal- and Cedarwood would (presumably) be OK!
Look no further:

pretty much equal helpings of what seems to be natural cedar oil and sandalwood oil, a very dry and woody, hip, timeless scent:

proxy.php

I had though the Cedar EDT was discontinued...

To add to this I always thought Trumpers GFT cologne had a strong cedar & fern blend.
I agree the Hermes Terre d'Hermes has cedar, but I've found the burnt orange to overpower it and distract from the base too much.

The L'Occitane Cedre is actually an EdP, I found two bottles at the local L'Occitane when I was on vacation in May so I bought both. I haven't seen it at the L'Occitane in my local mall and it does show out of stock here.

Top Bottom