What's new

Help shaving with a #15

Dear gents

I recently bought a #15 here from Jake:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=156809&highlight=aristocrat

It is a beautiful razor in both form and function. It stands out in my small, but growing, collection of vintage razors. It is giving me the closest shaves of my life and I am getting BBS for the first time.

But I have one issue that I would appreciate some help with.

While the shave feels smooth and my skin is not irritated I get a real bite when I put the A/S on and I mean a real bite.

I have shaved with some aggressive shavers (e.g. Futur, Vision) but they feel aggressive when I shave and I know when to ease off. The #15 is different, it doesn't feel aggressive while shaving but it clearly is. At the end of the shave I feel like I have had the smoothest shave until I put on the A/S.

Any other #15 owners have the same experience as me? Is there something I should be doing differently?

I am currently using Feather blades. Are they too aggressive for the #15? I have ordered a blade sampler pack and will try some different blades when they arrive.

If I can resolve this one issue I think I will finally have found shaving nirvana!

Thanks
Paul

I don't own one, but it could use a slightly different blade angle than what you're used to. Many of my open comb razors need different angles.

Work on your angles a little. When I first used an open comb old type I had the same issue. Super smooth shave, but the barbasol brisk and alum block let me know that I had goofed somewhere. Just shave till you find that sweet spot where it doesn't burn XD

Perhaps a slightly less sharp blade like a Shark might help as well. The #15 is quite an aggressive razor. Combined with the Feather, it's a heck of a combination. You might just need to tone it down a little.

Perhaps a slightly less sharp blade like a Shark might help as well. The #15 is quite an aggressive razor. Combined with the Feather, it's a heck of a combination. You might just need to tone it down a little.

+1 on this and the angle, I have a #19 (same razor in gold) and it took me a bit to find the angle, currently I use it with red personna's and it works perfecctly.

Thanks for the very helpful comments.

I will try changing the angle until I find the sweet spot. I will also try some different blades to the Feathers when the blade sampler pack arrives.

Thanks again.

Top Bottom