What's new

DIY: Putting Arko Shave Stick Into Twist Up Container.

I really like the Arko Shave Stick. It has become my favorite shave soap and for the price can't be beat. I do not however like using it with the wrapper or getting my free hand covered in soap as I am trying to lather. I like to try and keep my hands as dry and clean as possible. So, since there are a lot of other shave sticks that come in push up and twist up containers, I thought this was an opportunity to do that at home at a fraction of the cost. Considering Arko's cost and the ability to reuse the containers, I set out to do this at home. I purchased a case of 15 Arko Shave Sticks and a few of the 2.0 oz. twist up containers sold by Mama Bear Soaps or a few other online vendors. I purchased mine from Mama Bear's. Here is a pictorial do-it-yourself I did at home and thought I would share.

1. Get the Arko Shave Stick and the twist up container ready and set up a clean and dry environment to work with.
proxy.php

2. Remove the wrapper from the Arko Shave Stick.
proxy.php

3. Here is the Arko Shave Stick completely removed from the wrapper. Looks nice! But, as you can see, it will get all over your fingers when used!
proxy.php

4. Take the twist up container and twist the base up all the way to the top. You will put the soap in bit by bit.
proxy.php

5. You can see here how pliable that the Arko Shave Stick is. There is no need to heat the soap or do anything to it. It will ruin it to microwave it! (from experience)
proxy.php

6. Remove a small chunk of the soap and start pressing it bit by bit into the container. Slowly roll the base down as you put more soap into the container. Make sure there are no air bubbles as you press it down. You hardly have enough room for the whole shave stick, but it will fit.
proxy.php

7. You can see how pliable the soap is here.
proxy.php

8. Here is a small piece pulled from the shave stick.
proxy.php

9. Make sure you press the soap down with no air bubble against the wall in a circular motion.
proxy.php

10. And the completed product. An easy to use Arko Shave Stick that will not get you messy. Oh how I love this Arko Shave Stick now!
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Nice write up! Thanks, I may give this a try someday. I too love the Arko. Looks like an even more convenient way to transport soap in a mobile shaving kit!

Am I the only person in the world who manages to use shave sticks without making a mess? I just leave a bit of the foil or wrapper around the base and hold it by that when dipping it in the sink and applying to face.

Am I the only person in the world who manages to use shave sticks without making a mess? I just leave a bit of the foil or wrapper around the base and hold it by that when dipping it in the sink and applying to face.

I don't know, but I don't think I'm doing it right.

I stay very clean but I'm not sure how much soap "loading" needs to be done on my face and I usually don't have enough lather for a solid second, much less a third pass.

I think I should try dunking the stick and loading more for better results, try to get a bit more messy :lol:

Dude, the sticks are $2 :tongue_sm

PM sent VT_Hokie

I know, el cheapo right? I'm in college so what can I say :lol:

Problem is, I've never placed an order through an online vender who carried it where I could just be like "oh it's only $2, I'll just throw it in"

I need some blades, all I've ever used are the Merkur's that came with my HD and Derby's (which are pretty foolproof, but don't last me more than 3 shaves and don't get me as close as I'd like) so I'm thinking about placing an order for the $15 blade sampler pack from WCS. I was kicking around the idea of picking up a few soaps while I was at it.

SSAD is really kicking my butt :w00t:

Nah. I was bit perplexed, too. Splash water on face, apply stick, put down stick, pick up brush, lather. No muss, no fuss.

I can't see the pictures of the stick holder right now, but I like the idea. The paper is a little inelegant, but better than the useless plastic seat with prongs that came with my Erasmic stick.

Steve

I just used a box cutter and cut a nice size off the top.. works great for me and it gets to dry wherever it gets wet..

proxy.php

I want to try Arko, but with all the negative reviews regarding the scent I'm hesitant.

Great writeup though!

I love the Arko. Scent really is a YMMV type of thing but I quite like the smell. I got a stick of Arko thrown in with the purchase of 100 Derby blades. I would have been unlikely to buy it on its own figuring it was too cheap to actually be any good. Wrong! It performs as well or better than soaps costing at least five times as much. My bias would have kept me from enjoying one of my favorite shaving products. Arko is one of the best values in all of wet-shaving. Many of us talk about switching to DE shaving because of the outrageous cost of cartridges. :001_rolle This is one of the products that truly is superior to more expensive alternatives. Pair it with a Tech, a Derby a Semogue or Omega brush and some Aqua Velva AS and you can get a world class shave on the cheap.

Nah. I was bit perplexed, too. Splash water on face, apply stick, put down stick, pick up brush, lather. No muss, no fuss.

I can't see the pictures of the stick holder right now, but I like the idea. The paper is a little inelegant, but better than the useless plastic seat with prongs that came with my Erasmic stick.

Steve

Sorry you can't see the pictures. It is just a roll up clear plastic holder. Very easy to use. I don't get a lot of soap on my hands. This is just easier for me especially when I stick it in a pack for travel to and from work and such.

In Coops defense, the Palmolive shave stick I am using now is my first shave stick and I didn't know I was supposed to leave the foil on. Rookie error on my part, maybe he did the same?

I travel to and from work and stay there overnight and shave there as well at times. This makes it way easier to wet shave at work and not have two wet shave set ups. And, even though I like the smell of the Arko, this helps hide the scent when it is capped so it doesn't make everything in the bathroom smell like Arko.

I don't know if the twist up tubes have changed since I bought mine but when I twist the base all the way up I can take the base right out of the tube. Then I push it onto the stick. Some soap gets shaved off so I just clean it off the base with my finger and mash it onto the top of the stick.

Once I am happy that I have the based pushed securely onto my stick of Arko I gently thread the base back into the tube and twist everything back down. Voila -- Arko stick in a tube. No muss, no fuss.

I just came back from a 2 week vacation and used my Arko travel stick and EJ89L for some great shaves!

Nice, I have the same thing. 13" aluminum but I got it the day they came out and they didn't have a Pro version available yet :001_cool:

I have a first generation white macbook. It's been around the block and make a funny noise in the upper left hand corner.. Non working cd drive. And in 25 days I will be without a charger :mad3:

I foresee a 13" or 15" Pro when I get out of basic military training in November. Backlit keyboard :001_wub:

Top Bottom